Klipschorn problem

POOKY

16 minutes ago, POOKY said:

the serial number is 104 39 8457. Any thoughts of things to try first and any idea how old they are.

I've got them at 1993.  (I separated the numerals for clarity)

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### (135791234)

DOY= day of the year
Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year

+++

Blown woofers are not common for Khorns, but anything can happen.  Have you exchanged L/R speaker wires yet to see if the problem stays with the speaker or follows the amp output?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I've got them at 1993.  (I separated the numerals for clarity)

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### (135791234)

DOY= day of the year
Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year

+++

Blown woofers are not common for Khorns, but anything can happen.  Have you exchanged L/R speaker wires yet to see if the problem stays with the speaker or follows the amp output?

@wvu80, ah yes that would make sense as the invoice is from 1994. Thank you

• Like 1

Do you or a friend have a volt meter? Set to AC volts and measure whether there is any voltage more than about 50 mV or so going to the woofer (with signal playing & measure at output of crossover, IOW, the wire going to the bass bin) Measure one side relative to the other. We can work forward or backward from there. 

• Like 1

Just now, POOKY said:

@wvu80, ah yes that would make sense

Just a heads up, type the @ sign and then start to type the name.  Pick the name off the pop-up menu to get the blue-highlighted Notification, @POOKY.  If you simply type a name it won't send the Notification @POOKY.   

• Like 1

There were a few different rated fuses used with the AK series of crossovers, and replacements for the old ones may be hard to find, but for the bass bin, I think it is okay to use a 4 amp or slightly higher automotive fuse, depending on what is available. A higher rated fuse is not dangerous, considering that most speakers don't even have a fuse. At an auto parts store, get a package of the fuse that is a glass tube about 1/4" round and 1 and 1/4" long.  

• Like 1

i would confirm what type of fuses they use, most audio gear/speakers use specific fast or slow blow fuses, standard automotive fuses may not be the right type.  a higher rated fuse can be dangerous for these speakers if you listen loud, they wont blow & protect the drivers if they are higher than what should be used.

the 1993 k-horn should be the AK-3 x-over so it should be easy to confirm what fuses are correct.  i just sold my 94 k-horns with ak3's otherwise i would confirm for you. parts express or other places will have the right type of fuses once you verify what should be used. 

2 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

a higher rated fuse can be dangerous for these speakers if you listen loud, they wont blow & protect the drivers if they are higher than what should be used. 

15 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

A higher rated fuse is not dangerous, considering that most speakers don't even have a fuse.

@EpicKlipschFan, what you say is true, but original replacements may be hard to find. We should worry about the millions of speakers that don't have any protection.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, POOKY said:

Thanks gents, I'm in the UK so sourcing things is not always too straightforward

Klipschorns in the UK!   Cheers to you Bruv.   I won't be of much help here as I think others have nailed it already. Personally, after checking all connections were tight and then seeing if there are fuses and they are indeed intact, I would take the woofer out and tap it with a multimeter myself and make sure there is indeed resistance (ohms) and not an "open circuit".   I would be reasonably certain it isn't the woofer unless excessive bass boost/underpowering was the culprit (you never know could be a bad solder joint?) .  I had em and cranked them ridiculously loud at times and never had an issue with any of the drivers.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, POOKY said:

@Westcoastdrums man, it was so difficult getting 2 pairs of them to the UK and a pair of Belle Klipsch, all working fantastically except for this one.

Glad you got em there man that's awesome.  I'm sure the guys here will have you up and running and no time and you'll join us in the audio bliss/addiction that is klipsch. 

• Like 2