Klipschorn problem

POOKY

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

Pretty sure @capo72 means bypass even the parts inside the woofer chamber and go right to the woofer. And disconnect the parts inside which are a capacitor and an inductor. And you can also do as jimjimbo suggested while they're disconnected and measure the woofer voice coils.

So I 've got a set of speaker wires with just 'tinned' ends...  Just attach them directly to the spades on the speaker itself?

If so, what should I be listening for?  Should the sound change? Louder? Clearer?

Thanks again for the ideas and the 'hand holding'!

Edited by Douglas Bubbletrousers

Well .... the inductor is in series with the voice coil and the capacitor is in parallel. So yes you SHOULD be able to read with those parts still attached. You should read the resistance of the voice coil and the inductor in series, so what guys around 5 to 8 ohms?

@Deang?

On 8/20/2019 at 1:04 AM, Douglas Bubbletrousers said:

The only 'issue" I can think of is that one time, when I was hooking up a new turntable, my hand bumped the MM/MC switch on the back of the amp when an album was playing, and things got very loud for a second before I bumped the switch back..

Looking back at your statement above.....It's hard to imagine that you blew the woofers and not the tweeters or mids, but then again, stranger things have happened....

You can simply de-solder the wires that are on the woofers, or just clip them off if you've got some slack.  That would be the easiest thing to do to measure the voice coils.

6 minutes ago, Douglas Bubbletrousers said:

So I 've got a set of speaker wires with just 'tinned' ends...  Just attach them directly to the spades on the speaker itself?

Yes, if you are going to bypass all the crossover components.

• Like 1

Okay...  Hooked up the tinned leads directly to the right speaker (since I had that cabinet open already.)

Doing this by myself - not enough hands or helpers...  I don't have access to a test tone, but using a recording with which I'm very familiar, I did some "Better like this?  Or better like this? A vs B listening.

When holding the speaker wires directly to the right woofer spade terminals, the right speaker immediately got much clearer and at least somewhat louder than the left speaker, which remained as dull and listless as before....

Haven't unsoldered anything yet...

Does this help clarify the situation at all, or have I added a healthy layer of mud to the situation?

Thanks again!

Edited by Douglas Bubbletrousers
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Douglas Bubbletrousers said:

Okay...  Hooked up the tinned leads directly to the right speaker (since I had that cabinet open already.)

Doing this by myself - not enough hands or helpers...  I don't have access to a test tone, but using a recording with which I'm very familiar, I did some "Better like this?  Or better like this? A vs B listening.

When holding the speaker wires directly to the right woofer spade terminals, the right speaker immediately got much clearer and at least somewhat louder than the left speaker, which remained as dull and listless as before....

Haven't unsoldered anything yet...

Does this help clarify the situation at all, or have I added a healthy layer of mud to the situation?

Thanks again!

Interesting. .  .

55 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Looking back at your statement above.....It's hard to imagine that you blew the woofers and not the tweeters or mids, but then again, stranger things have happened....

You can simply de-solder the wires that are on the woofers, or just clip them off if you've got some slack.  That would be the easiest thing to do to measure the voice coils.

I was wondering if the incorrect fuses could have had anything to do with the situation...  The upper fuses consisted of a correct (the one correct one of the four) 1.25 amp on one side with a wad of foil on the other. 😉

The BOTTOM fuses were supposed to be 2.5's but both had 20 AMP fuses installed instead....

I think the DCR is measuring okay (or close enough since we don't know the condition of the volt meter). Really, what you are looking for, in general, is if the meter reads "open" (tinsel leads damaged) or zero (shorted voice coil, perhaps).

BTW, if you are soldering near the wires at the woofer basket, don't keep the solder tip there longer than you need to. 

• Like 1