K-691 Drivers

babadono

That looks like a Klipsch K-1132 (full range) or 1133 (midrange).  I'd contact Klipsch for diaphragm replacements, and how to identify whether it's an 1132 or 1133 (probably requiring disassembly).  The difference between the drivers is apparently only the phase plug design and perhaps the diaphragm itself--according to Roy's comments.

K-1132 Specification Sheet.jpg

1132-2.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Have you removed the driver from the mount to check gasket/attachment points?  Or am I missing something here?

The other issue im pondering is that the rattle is being caused by feeding .3-.8 kHz to a driver that’s rated to crossover at .8. through a kpt-535 crossover.  When I get the xilica dialed in I think my rattle might go away.  

• 3 months later...

IIRC (and according to Roy) the K-691 is a B&C DE75 driver with a modified phase plug, ostensibly to get higher response out of them(?). 

The original DE75 (with I believe was another modified phase plug design) is the K-69.  We heard this driver in Hope in 2009 with Roy-by accident.  It was superior in the 10-20 kHz band to its successor, the K-69-A.  The later K-69-A was a P.Audio BM-D750 Series I driver (identifiable by the case design), and was a lower cost driver, IIRC.  I think it has a modified phase plug, too.

The provenance of the K-1132 and K-1133 drivers was never really explained to me.  Roy indicated that they were Klipsch produced.  I suspect something like an EV driver or similar was the real starting point, but no one has ever identified where the basic 1132 and 1133 design(s) came from.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 4:35 PM, Chris A said:

IIRC (and according to Roy) the K-691 is a B&C DE75 driver with a modified phase plug, ostensibly to get higher response out of them(?). 

The original DE75 (with I believe was another modified phase plug design) is the K-69.  We heard this driver in Hope in 2009 with Roy-by accident.  It was superior in the 10-20 kHz band to its successor, the K-69-A.  The later K-69-A was a P.Audio BM-D750 Series I driver (identifiable by the case design), and was a lower cost driver, IIRC.  I think it has a modified phase plug, too.

Chris

“K691 is bnc 75 with a slight mod to the diap.” -Chief bonehead

The mod is that it is hardened. The only thing to note about the phase plug is that the P in DE 75-P stands for plastic phase plug. The DE 75-P was used with no K designation prior to the K691 which also has a plastic plug.

“K69 was a paudio driver. The k69a has a slightly decreased phaseplug diap spacing” -Chief bonehead 

I would take this to mean the K69A phase plug shape is largely unmodified from the BM-D750 production model and that the K69 is actually identical.