Everyone but thebes should be interested

joshnich

I recently picked up the 50th Anniversary edition of the Beatles White Album. Its a remaster by Martins son, Giles Martin. It's really really good. But was is more than really good is that in the deluxe edition, there is a third CD "Esher Demos" These are all acoustic demos recorded on a reel to reel at George Harrison's house in Esher. It is FANTASTIC. Basically the 4 of them playing songs to each other. There are 27 tracts including an all acoustic While my Guitar Gently Weeps. Incredible stuff. Even the thebes among us would have to admit to a degree of talent being demonstrated on these demos!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

So its on CD right? In your opinion did Giles do a good remaster? Or squash the life out of it?

Yes its on CD. And no Giles didnt squash the life out of it - in fact he opened it up (if that is a technical recording term!). I think he did a fantastic job. Its like listening to an improved old friend!

It is also available digitally and on vinyl. Not all packages include the "esher session" cuts. But I believe there are versions of the LP  and digital that do. I had to go to two record stores to find the 3 cd version.

J

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Lol.  I knew this would be about the Beatles before I even read it.

Indeed it is...Blackbird and others abound. Wonder if they played it in reverse on the CD. Maybe not so...

LP sounds interesting...Just one of them things...

I read a long article about Giles taking the earliest tapes they had in the archives to get as many separate trcks for the songs as possible, i.e., songs that were recorded on 4 track and mixed to another 4 track so more parts could be added. He would look for thr original 4 track.

It's a credit to the studio that they hadn't reused the tape.