SVS or Klipsch sub?

Harbormaster

22 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Bought a SVS PC-2000 a month or so ago.   Think I paid a grand....now I have seen them at $749.

IMG_9985.JPG

quite unfair   , not sure if there is any price  protection   - it's being phased out -----699$ free shipping today  12h left  ------- or trade up , valid for 1 year

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

quite unfair   , not sure if there is any price  protection   - it's being phased out -----699$ free shipping today  12h left  ------- or trade up , valid for 1 year

@Tarheel  Call SVS and as if there's any type of refund available under the circumstance.  They normally go above and beyond when trying to appease customers.

• Thanks 1

Some interesting reading on a multiple sub system.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

and

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/11/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system.html

I understand that sometimes it's hard to put more than one sub in a room correctly.....now adding 4...hmmm.  Unless you have a perfect room, or are building a dedicated listening/theater room, decent placement of the subs will be very tricky.  I like the idea though.  Also, the price point isn't ridiculous considering you get 4 10" subs and a 1000watt amplifier.

Specs:

Type: Multiple subwoofer system, four subwoofers, series/parallel connection to 1000W subwoofer amplifier (included)
Drivers: One 10"4 long-throw driver per sub; vented enclosure for correct roll-off to compensate for room gain (ports can be plugged with supplied plugs, if desired)
Frequency response: 20–100Hz (typical in-room)
Adjustments: Upper-frequency limit, phase, gain, and one-frequency parametric EQ
Dimensions: 12" x 23" x 12" (each subwoofer)
Weight: 44 lbs. each
Finishes: Oak, maple, or walnut
Price: $2500 plus shipping (sold direct)

14 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

I understand that sometimes it's hard to put more than one sub in a room correctly.....now adding 4...hmmm.  Unless you have a perfect room, or are building a dedicated listening/theater room, decent placement of the subs will be very tricky.  I like the idea though.  Also, the price point isn't ridiculous considering you get 4 10" subs and a 1000watt amplifier.

If you center one sub in the middle of each of the 4 walls you'll get the best coverage.  Putting a sub in each of the 4 corners of the room will give you the most output.  There's a Harmon white paper on the subject.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you center one sub in the middle of each of the 4 walls you'll get the best coverage.  Putting a sub in each of the 4 corners of the room will give you the most output.  There's a Harmon white paper on the subject.

I understand the acoustics of it pretty well.  What I am referring to as being "Tricky" is when a fire place, staircase, hallway openings, beloved plant that just won't die, etc. end up being in the way.

I have a 3.2 system in my living room and I am forced to put both subs on the same wall as the main speakers (My north wall).  Not a bad option.  However, if I wanted to do the 4 sub option, it wouldn't be possible for me as on the west wall I have a fireplace surrounded by two glass sliding doors on either side... so there is no space on that wall at all.  The south "wall" is not a wall at all, ( roughly 2 feet on either side) but a very large opening with a step up leading into the dining room.  Finally on the east wall there is a wide opening right in the center with a step up to the front entryway/hallway.

So, for me, the best option is to build a dedicated home theater room into the house that I will build when I retire.... that way I can plan for the exact setup I  want at the time.  Now.... I only have 12 more years to plan it!!!

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

• Like 1