Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
wuzzzer

Keep RS-7 surrounds or replace them with Heresy?

Recommended Posts

I've had my RS-7s as surrounds for about a year now.  They are awesome surround speakers.  With our apartment living room layout they are on the side of my couch facing in, sitting against the side walls.

 

Since I'm using Heresy IIs as fronts I got to wondering if I should change my RS-7s to either Heresy I or II if I were to find a good deal on a local pair.

 

I know the RS-7 is intended as a surround speaker specifically.  Will I miss the wide dispersion design of them by switching to a Heresy?  I know there's been members here with a full Heresy surround setup.  Any comments regarding that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My vote is Heresy's for three reasons, the seamless matching, and the fact that I hate sound sprayers, and I am a Heritage guy.  I use Cornwall's and Heresy HIP's in the rear positions and the level of intricate detail is amazing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

My vote is Heresy's for three reasons, the seamless matching, and the fact that I hate sound sprayers, and I am a Heritage guy.  I use Cornwall's and Heresy HIP's in the rear positions and the level of intricate detail is amazing.

So are you saying that you've also run RS7's and that they don't have intricate detail for use as surrounds?  I would have to totally disagree with that and is has nothing to do with heritage speakers not being fine speakers that I have and currently own a few myself, but they don't make me want to change out my RS7's that do a wonderful job as surrounds, in fact, I'm looking for another set to replace my current rears with.

 

Now, if you find a great deal anytime, jump on it, play with a different set up and see if it's worth the space and you actually think it's a vast improvement, but that's me, and now that it's in your head, you probably won't be satisfied until you do, so if you want to sell the 7's to fund it, let me know. 😄

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Heresy pair that was somewhat local to me sold.  I'm keeping my eyes out.  If I can find a pair for under $400 that are close by and in good shape I'll get them and then my RS-7s will be up for sale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heresies are without question better speakers, but I'd argue that unless you have a lot of room behind/around MLP to play with, you'll get better surround performance with RS-7's due to their flexibility in positioning. A bigger speaker like Heresy is much harder to position for surround effects IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 10:20 AM, schwock5 said:

+1 on the RS7s if you're selling, let me know!

 

Got my new Heresy set up as side surrounds and listening to The Eagles Farewell I concert.  With the stands I'm using the woofers in the Heresy are at ear level while seated, putting the midrange and tweeter above.  Definitely get way better surround effects!  Previously the RS-7s were just below ear level on the stands.  The new to me Heresy have the coveted K-55-V soldered lug dual phase plug midrange.  They certainly do have a very smooth sound to them.  It's different than my Heresy II fronts that have titanium mid and tweet and rebuilt crossovers.

 

@schwock5 I apologize but I had already promised the RS-7s to the guy somewhat local to me who rebuilt my crossovers.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

The new to me Heresy have the coveted K-55-V soldered lug dual phase plug midrange.

Wow, you did good!

 

I know it's none of my business but I'd be awfully tempted to move those soldered lug K-55v's from the H1's to the H2's.  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Wow, you did good!

 

I know it's none of my business but I'd be awfully tempted to move those soldered lug K-55v's from the H1's to the H2's.  B)

 

I don't know how that would work.  The horns are different.  The motorboards would have to be swapped at the very least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

 

I don't know how that would work.  The horns are different.  The motorboards would have to be swapped at the very least. 

I'm not familiar enough with the H1 or H2 models to know what is needed if you wanted to do a swap.

 

The K55V is a 16 Ohm compression driver that screws on.  If both speakers use the K-55v they should be interchangeable.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can offer more specifics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm not familiar enough with the H1 or H2 models to know what is needed if you wanted to do a swap.

 

The K55V is a 16 Ohm compression driver that screws on.  If both speakers use the K-55v they should be interchangeable.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can offer more specifics.

 

The Heresy II has a cutout on the bottom of the mid horn to fit around the woofer.  It has a totally different driver also.  Probably would need to change the crossover as well.

It would be nice if it were a direct swap though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...