Need help with center speaker.

Sniiiface

So I'm using a kind of weird setup atm;

• RP-160 Front Left\Right

• RF-62 mk1 Side Left\Right

• Yamaha x4 in-ceiling IC800

• XTZ 12.99 Sub

I'm redoing my kitchen, so I should hold off buying a new center speaker, so I have these options to pick from;

• Yamaha NS-444

• Using 1 Kef Q300

• Using the RF-62 as fronts, and a RP-160 as center, and SVS surround speakers as surrounds.

Hope someone has some insight on which of these weird setups would work the best.

I also got a decent (I think) deal on a RP440C for 350 usd or the RP500C premier ii for 420 usd, would it make a huge difference going for one of these? and which would suit my setup better?

Thanks.

I used to run a 450C with 4 160M’s and it sounded great! 

I have said this this way too many times but I would definitely go for the best center you can afford, since it is the single most important speaker for home theater, TV and video games. Also, going the best matching center first will surely eliminate any “should have I just spent the $70 and got the larger center?” inner dialogue that you will likely have if you buy the 440C instead. Not that there is anything wrong with the 440C, just that the 450C is the big brother with a larger horn and woofers. 

• Like 1

I hear you, the issue is I can't get the 450 in my country, and the few places who could be bothered to import it for me told me the pricetag would be about 650 usd, so the difference is so huge 😕
I'd love the the 450 but its just not in the cards for me it seems. I was thinking about going for the RP250 over the 440, due to the bigger horns and woofers.. since they are the same price here.

Just now, Emile said:

Hi @Sniiiface, welcome to the forum :D  

For the best sound, use the same speaker as your L/R's.  "Dedicated" center channels are marketing "hype."  Yes; they look nice underneath a TV, but they have a lot of sound "issues."

Cheers, Emile

Thanks for the feedback, so what you're saying is I should get another RP-160 and use 3x as LCR?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sniiiface said:

I'm sure he did, not quite sure what that has to do with my current issue though 😛

OK I will spell it out for you.  Save a little more and have the better center imported at the price.  If you need further clarification I will be glad to accommodate you.

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

OK I will spell it out for you.  Save a little more and have the better center imported at the price.  If you need further clarification I will be glad to accommodate you.

I see :) did not know the difference between the RP440c and the 450c was that huge, it will be almost double the price even if I import it, due to high shipping cost and 25% taxes to my country.. Guess I should just make do with what I have for a while longer and wait for the 504C to be discounted at a sale.

Sorry for not understanding the reference, english is not my first language and I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to HIFI and HT equipment.
Thanks for the help sir.

2 hours ago, Sniiiface said:

I see :) did not know the difference between the RP440c and the 450c was that huge, it will be almost double the price even if I import it, due to high shipping cost and 25% taxes to my country.. Guess I should just make do with what I have for a while longer and wait for the 504C to be discounted at a sale.

Sorry for not understanding the reference, english is not my first language and I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to HIFI and HT equipment.
Thanks for the help sir.

I don’t think there would be a “night and day” difference between the two centers you mentioned. I misread what you typed, I thought the price difference was only going to be $70 between the 440C and the 450C. My bad. 

Yes, another 160M would be ideal. Front three speaker matching is also something I subscribe to. Heck, I am slowly building a all matching 7 speaker HT, even though I am temporarily living in 750 SF.. 

This is a type of obsession, that I lovingly embrace and I come here for support from other people “inflicted” with the same symptoms. There are many here who are much “worse” off than I😬

8 hours ago, K5SS said:

I don’t think there would be a “night and day” difference between the two centers you mentioned. I misread what you typed, I thought the price difference was only going to be $70 between the 440C and the 450C. My bad. 

Yes, another 160M would be ideal. Front three speaker matching is also something I subscribe to. Heck, I am slowly building a all matching 7 speaker HT, even though I am temporarily living in 750 SF.. 

This is a type of obsession, that I lovingly embrace and I come here for support from other people “inflicted” with the same symptoms. There are many here who are much “worse” off than I😬

Yeah, the only issue now is that I can't buy the 160M's in singles here, so I have to buy a pair, and the pair is about 150 usd more expensive compared to the RP440...
Meh, I'm just going around myself in circles trying to make up what I should do.. I was kind of set on buying the RP-440C, but after reading some advice from the more experienced people here I'm so unsure what to do.. 

2 hours ago, Sniiiface said:

Yeah, the only issue now is that I can't buy the 160M's in singles here, so I have to buy a pair, and the pair is about 150 usd more expensive compared to the RP440...

Meh, I'm just going around myself in circles trying to make up what I should do.. I was kind of set on buying the RP-440C, but after reading some advice from the more experienced people here I'm so unsure what to do.. 

I have the newer version of the 160, the RP-600M so I'll talk about both models as if they are the same.

I know the difference between a center speaker which sits horizontally and regular speakers which sit vertically.  On paper the vertical configuration may be better but in your living room I don't think you hear that big a difference.

If you get the 160's don't worry about finding a single, buy the pair and connect them in parallel.  This will mean your 8 Ohm 160's pair will look like a single 4 Ohm speaker to the amp and I'm sure your AVR can handle that.  The sound will be very good.  My 600's sound excellent for both male and female dialog and vocals.  I'm currently  running them as L/R in stereo mode, 2.0.  I like the larger 6.5" woofers for dialog and vocals, but that is my personal preference.

I have an RC-64 III which also uses the 6.5" woofers and I can tell you it sounds excellent.  I have not heard the RP-440C with its 4" woofers so I don't know from listening how the two would compare.  I don't want to recommend a speaker I have not heard.

@JefDC directly above recommends the 440C.  Since he has heard how it blends with the 160's it sounds to me like you are safe going with either the 440C or the pair of 160's as a center speaker.

33 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I have the newer version of the 160, the RP-600M so I'll talk about both models as if they are the same.

I know the difference between a center speaker which sits horizontally and regular speakers which sit vertically.  On paper the vertical configuration may be better but in your living room I don't think you hear that big a difference.

If you get the 160's don't worry about finding a single, buy the pair and connect them in parallel.  This will mean your 8 Ohm 160's pair will look like a single 4 Ohm speaker to the amp and I'm sure your AVR can handle that.  The sound will be very good.  My 600's sound excellent for both male and female dialog and vocals.  I'm currently  running them as L/R in stereo mode, 2.0.  I like the larger 6.5" woofers for dialog and vocals, but that is my personal preference.

I have an RC-64 III which also uses the 6.5" woofers and I can tell you it sounds excellent.  I have not heard the RP-440C with its 4" woofers so I don't know from listening how the two would compare.  I don't want to recommend a speaker I have not heard.

@JefDC directly above recommends the 440C.  Since he has heard how it blends with the 160's it sounds to me like you are safe going with either the 440C or the pair of 160's as a center speaker.

Thats alot of great information you hit me with right there sir, much appreciated.

• Like 1

I have the 440C as well and it sounds awesome. It sounds better then my smaller B&W center channels speakers (CM S2 and 600 S2) series. Clearer vocals and better dynamics and power handling. I also own the 64III which I just got delivered  and will be hooking it up next week at my beach house. You won't regret buying it. The only reason I got the 64III is because my new LG TV doesn't fit on the 440C. Otherwise I was extremely happy with it.

• Like 2