YouTube Music sound quality? Khorns

GlenRasmussen

Hi all,  What is the general consensus of YouTube audio/video content.  A 30 year  owner  of Klipschorns, Just back listening again full time with Tidal MQA, but I find lesser bandwidth productions via the net, do not sound very good with my Khorns.  I know they are not very forgiving. But I am a my bud with a full blown B$W setup. $30g plus, and his system can make shit music, even mp3 sound acceptable?   My Khorns show any defect and I listen with a nearfield Aiwa Exos 9.  Sounds better. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GlenRasmussen said:

Hi all,  What is the general consensus of YouTube audio/video content.  A 30 year  owner  of Klipschorns, Just back listening again full time with Tidal MQA, but I find lesser bandwidth productions via the net, do not sound very good with my Khorns.  I know they are not very forgiving. But I am a my bud with a full blown B$W setup. $30g plus, and his system can make shit music, even mp3 sound acceptable?   My Khorns show any defect and I listen with a nearfield Aiwa Exos 9.  Sounds better. 

His system may be extracting a little more from the recording but as nitrofan stated your system is most likely more faithful to the recording. Personally I find 16/44 are great if well mastered, the mastering is more important than numbers in my experience. But a good system can reveal weakness in poor quality 320 mbps and under.

Edited by Ossidian
  • Like 1

His system may be extracting a little more from the recording but as nitrofan stated your system is most likely more faithful to the recording. Personally I find 16/44 are great if well mastered, the mastering is more important than numbers in my experience. But a good system can reveal weakness in poor quality 320 mbps and under.

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/9/2019 at 8:33 PM, codewritinfool said:

Depends on the recording.

Absolutely. David Chesky (Chesky Records), Mark Waldrep (AIX Records), Professor Keith Johnson (Reference Recordings), Kevin Grey and I can go on have gone on the record (no pun intended) as mastering is the most important process of the "final product". Proper mic technique and the whole recording process is also very instrumental in creating a great product. If the recording is not well recorded or mastered the "numbers" like 24/192 will not change anything nor will putting it into a larger bit bucket from my experience and many others. You simply cannot polish a turd.

Edited by Ossidian
  • Like 2

I have made mp3s that arevery hard to tell from CDs. Start with leaving the dynamics, leave level so peaks are about -18dbfs. This will let your encoder have more room to work and give you a cleaner mp3.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, GlenRasmussen said:

...What is the general consensus of YouTube audio/video content.  A 30 year owner of Klipschorns, just back listening again full time with Tidal MQA, but I find lesser bandwidth productions via the net do not sound very good with my Khorns.  I know they are not very forgiving.

Yes--that's true of any hi-fi loudspeakers.  The better the reproduction accuracy--the more revealing of the recordings played on them.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, GlenRasmussen said:

...with a full blown B$W setup...his system can make shit music, even mp3 sound acceptable...

So the reverse comment is also true: the less hi-fi the loudspeakers, the less revealing they are.  This is true of direct radiating B&W loudspeakers--which have defects, not the least of which is compression distortion, power response irregularities (i.e., polar coverage not constant vs. frequency), and the loudspeakers are subsequently "voiced" to hide these faults with a "house curve" that reduces the high frequency response where the audibility of the non-constant polars becomes quite evident. 

I find with the dialed in Jubilees, the audibility of all tracks become more prominent. Does that make me want to find worse loudspeakers to play the music tracks?  Not on your life.  Playing badly done music tracks usually causes me to spend a little time demastering the tracks in order to extract the most out of them that's possible while playing them on the Jubs.

It seems to me obvious: fix the problem at its source--rather than blaming the components at the end of the line (which many people apparently are preconditioned to do). 

Chris

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 12:55 AM, Ossidian said:

Absolutely. David Chesky (Chesky Records), Mark Waldrep (AIX Records), Professor Keith Johnson (Reference Recordings), Kevin Grey and I can go on have gone on the record (no pun intended) as mastering is the most important process of the "final product". Proper mic technique and the whole recording process is also very instrumental in creating a great product. If the recording is not well recorded or mastered the "numbers" like 24/196 will not change anything nor will putting it into a larger bit bucket from my experience and many others. You simply cannot polish a turd.

Been saying this even before I met Mr. Waldrup 5 years ago. All true.

• Like 2

Was listening to some Steve Wilson last night from Youtube, sounded pretty good on my mains.  Had the lights on my Crown K2 shining brightly.     He as many know,  cares a lot about the quality of the recordings he does. 

• Like 1

I saw Steve live in December with my son and a friend, a good show but not one of his better shows. I guess I always hope that the next show I see will eclipse all the others and sometime I am left less than thrilled. I enjoyed the performance never the less. Steve was a little bent out of shape by the comments of a reviewer in Edmonton who had complained about Steve playing covers of Porcupine Tree.

21 minutes ago, moray james said:

I saw Steve live in December with my son and a friend, a good show but not one of his better shows. I guess I always hope that the next show I see will eclipse all the others and sometime I am left less than thrilled. I enjoyed the performance never the less. Steve was a little bent out of shape by the comments of a reviewer in Edmonton who had complained about Steve playing covers of Porcupine Tree.

I have Porcupine Tree's blue ray concert,  Anesthetize.  As usual, a very well recorded and dynamic disc.  Lol, expectation can quite easily diminish experience.  He probably wrote those songs he played.   

15 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I have Porcupine Tree's blue ray concert,  Anesthetize.  As usual, a very well recorded and dynamic disc.  Lol, expectation can quite easily diminish experience.  He probably wrote those songs he played.   

He did that was why he was pissed off about the comment. I agree though he builds a good recording.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, Chris A said:

Yes--that's true of any hi-fi loudspeakers.  The better the reproduction accuracy--the more revealing of the recordings played on them.

So the reverse comment is also true: the less hi-fi the loudspeakers, the less revealing they are.  This is true of direct radiating B&W loudspeakers--which have defects, not the least of which is compression distortion, power response irregularities (i.e., polar coverage not constant vs. frequency), and the loudspeakers are subsequently "voiced" to hide these faults with a "house curve" that reduces the high frequency response where the audibility of the non-constant polars becomes quite evident. 

I find with the dialed in Jubilees, the audibility of all tracks become more prominent. Does that make me want to find worse loudspeakers to play the music tracks?  Not on your life.  Playing badly done music tracks usually causes me to spend a little time demastering the tracks in order to extract the most out of them that's possible while playing them on the Jubs.

It seems to me obvious: fix the problem at its source--rather than blaming the components at the end of the line (which many people apparently are preconditioned to do). 

Chris

Well my Bud's 

On 1/9/2019 at 6:05 PM, GlenRasmussen said:

YouTube Music currently serves up tracks at a lowly 128kbps, which doesn't look (or sound) great when compared to rivals, such as Spotify (320kbps) or Tidal, which streams in CD quality (1411kbps) and even boasts hi-res via Tidal Masters.Aug 2, 2018