Diet

Bosco-d-gama

I’m down 16 lbs since November 1. I use MyFitnessPal (free) and log everything.

I started at 237. Doc told me if I didn’t lose the belly and stop drinking, I had to start Metformin. No thanks. My dad was diabetic, I’ve lost one brother to a cardiac problem related to diabetes, and have a brother in a wheelchair because of it.

I don’t want any of that. At 221 I already feel better. Ultimate goal is 200.

For beer, I found http://www.wellbeingbrewing.com. It is great for being NA.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

What I really WANT to do is to start sleeping better....and I'm sure this will help a bit.

Exercise more.  No watching TV in bed.  No caffeine late in the day and the one thing you're currently doing which is cutting back on alcohol. 

1 hour ago, rockhound said:

Im on the wagon also.....diet is simple if you think about it. Just watch portion sizes  eat a well balanced diet and lastly BURN more calories than you are consuming.

I had permanent success after I lost about 30-35 pounds.  Different approaches work for different people.

What works for me is running and other exercise.  Sure, I watch what I eat to some extent, but I am a junk food, snack, candy and ice cream-loving fiend.  I probably have sweets almost daily. 

I have a regular routine of vigorous exercise, interspersed with alternating days of more moderate exercise.  It's hard to make yourself feel good trying to run fast on a heavy stomach.  Knowing I am going to be running later actually prevents me from stuffing my gut like I used to.

This approach might work for some of you who are trying.

Edit:  I also rely heavily on my bathroom scale.  I watch trends.  I will allow myself to trend no more than 10 pounds above my preferred weight.  This way, if I feel compelled to stuff the gut a few times, I go for it.  Then, I get back on the wagon and shed these few extra pounds in no time.

I have the opposite problem...I do not gain weight... not unless I let my hair grow and/or bulk up with extra clothing. Never been over 140 @6'2". I'm around 125lb.

I can relate to having to run around in to shower to get wet. And those water saving shower heads.....ARGH!!!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Keto started in Feb 2020 lost 40 lbs in 3 months as well as Bowflex use, dumb bell use, heavy bag and speed bag workouts.  I know my body well and can “cheat” a bit on the weekends and be back to my normal weight/size by Monday evening.  

Not on a full on Keto diet anymore but know what I should and should not eat.  Good fats, minimal sugars/carbs, minimal processed foods, have helped me maintain a healthy weight and my blood work continues to come back with excellent results.

Bill

• Like 2

Last year I lost 70lbs in 10 months. Went through the winter maintaining my weight and stayed in the same notch in my belt where usually I go up a notch or two.

So far this year I've lost a few more pounds and went down another pants size for a total of three sizes. I went from a 44 waist to currently a 38. 

6' 2" and 340lbs at my heaviest. Right now I'm somewhere right around 260ish. I'm not big on scales. I'm more about how I feel and how my clothes fit as well as how I get around.

I feel great. Brain fog, soreness, memory, mood have all improved big time.

Sixteen years ago I lost my wife to cancer and the company I worked for for 17 years went out of business at the same time. It all hit me hard. I stopped taking care of myself and indulged in beer, food (SUGAR!) and stereo equipment. 

I haven't drank in eight years. I haven't had fast food, soda, sugar or any processed food since last March. I'm clean except I cheat one meal a week with either a burrito or pizza.

I started out just eliminating the junk in my diet and that led me to lowering my carbs and then to Keto. I intermittent fast and more often than not do OMAD (one meal a day). Occasionally I'll do a 36 hour fast.

This all works for me. I don't crave sweets anymore and I'm surprised how easy it's been. Sugar/carbs are like a drug. The more you consume the more you want/need it. Get off that crap and find out how easy it is STAY off it.

Another bonus......improved mood from weight loss and being healthy makes your system sound better.

Also, I went 16 years not sleeping well at all. I literally went that whole time not knowing what it was like to wake up feeling rested. Every morning waking up feeling like I was hit by a truck. That's over, I sleep like a baby now. 

• Like 2

Dieting is just a matter of simple math.  Burn more calories than you consume, and you will lose weight.  Opposite is also true, burn less calories than you consume, and you will gain weight.

And lastly, the meaning of an old-world word term =>Vegetarian.  Means "poor hunter". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Seadoc said:

Dieting is just a matter of simple math.  Burn more calories than you consume, and you will lose weight.  Opposite is also true, burn less calories than you consume, and you will gain weight.

And lastly, the meaning of an old-world word term =>Vegetarian.  Means "poor hunter". 

I agree with this to a certain extent genetics and metabolism which changes as we age play big roles, some people obviously have an easier time than others. 

Fad diets are only good for short term weight loss but are for the most part unsustainable lifestyle changes are best for long term benefits.

Processed foods the majority of the food in your average grocery store are for the most part addictive and poisonous and should be avoided. 

Natural whole foods stuff you'd find on a farm or in a garden are your best bet with meats in proper portion sizes and daily calorie limits are key.

Exercise will help your metabolism more than just a straight calorie burn and added muscle burns energy like a larger engine in a car burns more gas.   

• Like 3

Not a scientist/nutritionist... I am chronically thin...The last fat photo of me was taken when I was 2....

I tend to think some people's metabolisms makes a difference. Some folks' are super efficient and extract every bit of nutrition from food and convert it to fat. Gut flora....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I tend to think some people's metabolisms makes a difference. Some folks' are super efficient and extract every bit of nutrition from food and convert it to fat. Gut flora....

Many factors to take into account, metabolic imbalances, illness of various kinds, exhaustion...

When I finished schooling my weight was 130 at 6'3". Haven't been eating regularly for years, not much sleeping etc.

But even later I never got heavier than 160.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, grasshopper said:

was just thinking about the health of the indigenous folk when exposed to the European diet of wheat....diabetes, massive weight gain..etc. Heritage may have something to do with it. These keto diets are what the Inuits had. Plant based food wasn't easy to come by.

Corn.  But we call it maize.  

Corn

Cold corn

Cold corn is what I need

Cold corn, right on the cob

Straight from the fridge

Cool, refreshing, nurturing, 

Life affirming corn

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 10:01 AM, jjptkd said:

Exercise will help your metabolism more than just a straight calorie burn and added muscle burns energy like a larger engine in a car burns more gas.   

Some recent research reveals that, in rats anyway, exercise stimulates release of a hormone that reduces appetite.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 8:42 AM, grasshopper said:

was just thinking about the health of the indigenous folk when exposed to the European diet of wheat....diabetes, massive weight gain..etc. Heritage may have something to do with it. These keto diets are what the Inuits had. Plant based food wasn't easy to come by.

We see evidence of that here.  Many of the First Nations people here in Victoria are on the very large size.  Unlike in Eastern North America, where the Europeans arrived about 500 years ago, we’ve only been here for around 200 years, so the native folks, who’ve been here for 15,000 years or so, have not moved very far, with Reserves dotted all around the South Island among the “settler” communities.  As well, they’re a noticeable minority on the sidewalks.

The natives were quite healthy eating their own food, like bannock, pemmican, and of course salmon, deer, and bear, before First Contact.  However, now they’ve had a couple of centuries of eating European food, and it is not at all healthy for them.  The primary problem is diabetes, which is widespread, along with obesity.

About a year ago, I read about a reserve in Manitoba, where there’s an ongoing diet experiment.  The residents stick to Native food, and the incidence of diabetes and obesity is way down.  At the same time, overall health is much improved.  I’d think that it’s not because all European food is unhealthy.  Sure, some of it is, but the digestive systems of the Natives have had only a century or two to adapt to it, and it may take much longer than that.

For the Inuit, things are different.  As far as I know, there’s little or no agriculture North of the tree line.  The Inuit diet is therefore all meat and fish.  However, there’s more to it.  A friend of mine, who lives in the very far North of Alberta, almost in the Yukon, learned from an Inuk (1 Inuk, 2 or more Inuit) that blubber, like you find in marine mammals, is quite different from the fat layer that you find under the skin of a pig, for example.  It can be eaten by itself, and is relatively healthy, for Inuit, at least.  I don’t know how well European guts would handle big portions of blubber.  In any case, the no-vegetable diet of the Inuit allowed them to live healthy lives, with very few instances of obesity.  Now, of course, they can buy very expensive fruits and vegetables, flown in from the South, which is why they’re so costly.  One big help is Amazon Prime, with its free delivery.  Amazon loses money on this, of course, but it seems to be good PR, so it still goes on.  I’ve never been north of the 60th parallel, so I don’t know what shape modern Inuit are in.

As for me, I’m from Ireland, where food is pretty bland.  It’s not exciting food, which may be why Irish restaurants are so rare.  Years ago, I dated a lovely Chinese woman from Jamaica.  She lived in a city east of Toronto, so it was an 80 km (50 mile) ride from my place to hers.  In that situation, I saw her mostly on weekends, and I enjoyed her dinners.  However, when we took a holiday trip to Jamaica, staying in a town house and an apartment, with her doing the cooking every day, things were a bit different.  In less than a week, I had to ask her to dial way back on the spices, because my gut wasn’t happy, and it was getting worse day by day.  Luckily, she was able and willing to do that, and when her friends came over for dinner, my portion would be separate and milder, which worked out fine.  She was easy to get along with.

Going the other way, have you ever seen the late night TV show Hot Ones?  It’s an interview show, in which a celebrity is asked questions while eating chicken wings with progressively hotter sauces, with each sauce’s Scoville rating shown at the bottom of the screen.  The numbers get really extreme in the last few sauces.  Usually, you see typical European types, in one case Ed Sheeran, sweating and badly distracted while trying to focus on the questions.  On the other hand, Salma Hayek was totally cool, enjoying all the sauces, if a little disappointed with the first couple.

When the interviewer complimented her on being able to handle even the hottest sauces, she said simply, “Well, I’m Mexican.”

On 6/24/2022 at 7:43 AM, Islander said:

However, when we took a holiday trip to Jamaica, staying in a town house and an apartment, with her doing the cooking every day, things were a bit different.  In less than a week, I had to ask her to dial way back on the spices, because my gut wasn’t happy, and it was getting worse day by day.

Jerk Chicken?  Bad name but awesome chicken.