Diet

Bosco-d-gama

On 6/19/2022 at 5:37 AM, SWL said:

I don't crave sweets anymore and I'm surprised how easy it's been. Sugar/carbs are like a drug. The more you consume the more you want/need it. Get off that crap and find out how easy it is STAY off it.

This has been my experience.  I gave it up before and stuck to whole foods.  It worked.  A few years later, I started indulging again, and there's no doubt that for me, refined sugar is great while you gulp it down, but it's so unsatisfying, that I gorge on it.  

I'm going back to whole foods.  A couple of pieces of fruit beats a bag of chips.  Fewer calories and more satisfying.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't crave sweets anymore and I'm surprised how easy it's been. Sugar/carbs are like a drug. The more you consume the more you want/need it. Get off that crap and find out how easy it is STAY off it.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

This has been my experience.  I gave it up before and stuck to whole foods.  It worked.  A few years later, I started indulging again, and there's no doubt that for me, refined sugar is great while you gulp it down, but it's so unsatisfying, that I gorge on it.  

I'm going back to whole foods.  A couple of pieces of fruit beats a bag of chips.  Fewer calories and more satisfying.  

SWL and Jeff hit the nail on the head.  Get rid of that refined crap and cravings go away.  I maintain about 20% body fat in my 50s with ease.  I also just ate brown rice for dinner and had white rice several times this week including sushi.  And splurged and made Eggs Benedict this morning, so this is not 100% but I try to keep honest with my diet. 

People do not realize just how easy it is to maintain a healthy weight when you get rid of the garbage.  Your taste changes.   Throw in some exercise and you are good to go. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Yeah, I was to the point where I didn't just have a piece of cake.....I ate the whole cake.

Artificial sweeteners screwed me up more than anything else. Blurred vision was a nightmare. 

Part of my problem is I love to eat. I love food and trying different types of food. I've always eaten fast like it's a race. Now, thinking with a clear mind I'm able to make better decisions and that goes well beyond just food. It's absolutely amazing and sad how a poor diet affects your mood, decision making, concentration and all around well being. When I was finally aware of some of the studies that have been done, I think it scared me straight. 

• Like 1

Lost 55-60 lbs in the last four years, gave up the processed foods, fried, and sugars and stay with the simple stuff. When you eat GOOD food, you need less of it and your brain "pings" you a helluvalot less when you feed your body things it NEEDS instead of things you just "like". Why does your body always harangue you that it's "hungry" when you eat this junk? Because it's devoid of any real substance/nutrients - the body doesn't get what it needs - it harasses the brain to "feed me". Most do this to the point of 300 lbs (it's the American Way), but in reality it's the human body knowing it needs fed, then it's owner feeing it something it doesn't need as well as make the body obese.

Once the "code" is cracked, it becomes pretty easy. If I eat that stuff now, my body reminds me in short order why I gave that up, OTOH staying with good, real, simple foods leaves the body satisfied, and extends the stamina such that I have better energy and am in better health now than at any time during my life.

ESPECIALLY since the pandemic - all restaurant stuff (save for high end places on special occasions, like Tom Colicchio's Craftsteak in Las Vegas) is out the window. We have cooked over 95% of the consumed meals here in the last two and a half years, which gives even greater control over what I'm putting in my mouth as I control all of the acquisition choices and cooking methods. I shut down the takeout and convenience foods and shed the weight almost effortlessly. Once I got going it was like melting ice. It took about six months to acclimate, but after that, it not only comes naturally but is self reinforcing because the results feel so good, which leas to more good action (like having the energy to do actual work/projects outside of employment, etc) and bring even more good results.

My wife got in on the party and she now has the best health and figure of her life and I can certainly vouch for the last 25 years. She resembles pics from her 20's.

Once one sees this in action and experiences this with food choices it's easy because it's hard to "unknow" and going back to feeling like you do when loaded up on all those carbs and sugar. It really is self reinforcing.

• Like 2

There were a few things that triggered me to get my act together. One of them was the statistic that people live longer these days than they did in years past.

The reality is that many people are actually dying longer. They spend the last 20 years of their life with some kind of ailment or disease.....taking meds, etc. The older I get and accepting the fact that I'm not as resilient as I used to be, I gotta be on my 'A' game and take this seriously. 

Man, I wish I had the last 16 years of my life back to do all over again. That ain't gonna happen but I can make damn sure the next 16+ are done right.

10 hours ago, SWL said:

Yeah, I was to the point where I didn't just have a piece of cake.....I ate the whole cake.

Artificial sweeteners screwed me up more than anything else. Blurred vision was a nightmare. 

Part of my problem is I love to eat. I love food and trying different types of food. I've always eaten fast like it's a race. Now, thinking with a clear mind I'm able to make better decisions and that goes well beyond just food. It's absolutely amazing and sad how a poor diet affects your mood, decision making, concentration and all around well being. When I was finally aware of some of the studies that have been done, I think it scared me straight. 

Its nice to see others that have had the same experience because it is so positive once you figure it out. 

I hear so many people say 'I wouldn't be happy if I could not eat ice cream every day' or something similar.  Such BS, once you get your body functioning as it should your mood, energy, everything is better. 

The final thing is the quality of the food.  I love to eat and enjoy every meal so much.  My wife and I both love to cook and we eat the most enjoyable healthy food, which does include things like shrimp tacos, sweet potato french fries (cooked in the broiler), tortilla chips (also broiled) and guac, and a lot of other things that you would not expect. 

The sad part is that people refuse to accept changes or move slightly out of their comfort zone.  My wife's friends were over and she made homemade egg rolls.  She pan fries them in olive oil rather than deep frying them.  They actually taste better without being logged with oil and likely have half the calories.  Her friends all complain that they are fat and can't understand why my wife had muscle tone and is not fat, but it was the end of the  world when I asked that the egg rolls be fried.  They pretended that they could not figure out how to do this.  Then my wife made some fried and deep fried the rest.  They would not even touch the pan fried ones, but still complain that they are just so unlucky and can't lose weight.  Complete victim mentality.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Its nice to see others that have had the same experience because it is so positive once you figure it out. 

I hear so many people say 'I wouldn't be happy if I could not eat ice cream every day' or something similar.  Such BS, once you get your body functioning as it should your mood, energy, everything is better. 

The final thing is the quality of the food.  I love to eat and enjoy every meal so much.  My wife and I both love to cook and we eat the most enjoyable healthy food, which does include things like shrimp tacos, sweet potato french fries (cooked in the broiler), tortilla chips (also broiled) and guac, and a lot of other things that you would not expect. 

The sad part is that people refuse to accept changes or move slightly out of their comfort zone.  My wife's friends were over and she made homemade egg rolls.  She pan fries them in olive oil rather than deep frying them.  They actually taste better without being logged with oil and likely have half the calories.  Her friends all complain that they are fat and can't understand why my wife had muscle tone and is not fat, but it was the end of the  world when I asked that the egg rolls be fried.  They pretended that they could not figure out how to do this.  Then my wife made some fried and deep fried the rest.  They would not even touch the pan fried ones, but still complain that they are just so unlucky and can't lose weight.  Complete victim mentality.

Every time I drive by a McDonald's and the drive-thru is backed up forever all the way around the building and out to the main road (which is practically every time.....every single day) I get pissed. Partly because I see all the pathetic people waiting in line for garbage that's ruining their lives but mostly because I used to be in that line FOR MANY YEARS. 

The temptation is still always there but I now have a clear mind to make the right decision. 

3 hours ago, SWL said:

Every time I drive by a McDonald's and the drive-thru is backed up forever all the way around the building and out to the main road (which is practically every time.....every single day) I get pissed. Partly because I see all the pathetic people waiting in line for garbage that's ruining their lives but mostly because I used to be in that line FOR MANY YEARS. 

The temptation is still always there but I now have a clear mind to make the right decision. 

In the 1970s we were allowed to eat at McDonalds maybe once a month.  Now people eat a restaurants and fast food once to three times a day.  Recipe  for disaster. 

Fast food is horrible and restaurants are not far behind.  We have maybe six places that we can eat at and even then once a week max.  Portions are so big that a 'meal' is at least two meals if not three. 

I had workers at my house where I have lived for many years and I could not tell them what fast food was nearby, I only knew the commercial centers.  They were shocked. 

4 hours ago, Seadoc said:

Eating healthy isn't cheap.  Anywhere from $1.00 to $3.00 per day more to eat healthy.  Part of the reason we have the problems we have now.  Salmon with rice or a quarter pounder with fries...hmmm.

Try eating like Asians, mostly vegetables with a little meat.  You do not need to eat 8 oz of meat at a time.  Cost is not that much when you do this and you are better off.  A SAD diet has way too much protein.  Also, veggies are not as expensive as frozen or prepared foods. 

On 6/26/2022 at 5:31 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

In the 1970s we were allowed to eat at McDonalds maybe once a month.  Now people eat a restaurants and fast food once to three times a day.  Recipe  for disaster. 

and it was a treat... like candy. Not meant to replace food as we know it.

• Thanks 1

I've lost a lot of weight over the last 15 years or so, probably 70+ lbs from when I was at my heaviest at 50. That's me around that time, and me now. 33 lbs has been since December '20. 30 minutes of exercise in the morning, 2 long dog walks, household chores(try not to sit around too much during the day), very little to no meat and sweets, and only about 1200 calories a day. Oh, and I got sober 5 1/2 years ago. At 65, feel the best I have in almost my entire adult life.

thin.jpg

fatty.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, svberger said:

That's me around that time, and me now. 33 lbs has been since December '20

Hey your hair is the same color.  Good transformation.  I agree, for me at 66, I am in the best shape ever.

• Like 1

Portion sizes are out of control. Most adults eat like they work on a ranch/farm for 10-12 hours, when most end up leading sedentary lives, then go to whatever restaurant and eat portions that could easily feed 3. And if they don't  get that kind of portion, they leave a bad review on Yelp. Doesn't even matter what the food is, healthy or not, eat too much and most folks will put on weight. The relatively rare time that I eat out(or order in) these days a kids portion is plenty. Anything more and I eat a 1/4 of it, my wife eats a 1/4 of it and the rest is leftovers for a couple of days. I'm constantly astonished when I see people in restaurants, or on social media digging into massive plates of food.

• Like 1