Diet

Bosco-d-gama

23 hours ago, svberger said:

Portion sizes are out of control. Most adults eat like they work on a ranch/farm for 10-12 hours, when most end up leading sedentary lives, then go to whatever restaurant and eat portions that could easily feed 3. And if they don't  get that kind of portion, they leave a bad review on Yelp. Doesn't even matter what the food is, healthy or not, eat too much and most folks will put on weight. The relatively rare time that I eat out(or order in) these days a kids portion is plenty. Anything more and I eat a 1/4 of it, my wife eats a 1/4 of it and the rest is leftovers for a couple of days. I'm constantly astonished when I see people in restaurants, or on social media digging into massive plates of food.

This is very true.  We buy two meals at a restaurant and it lasts for at least two if not three meals. 

Nutrient density is also an issue.  If you eat cookies and bread you will not get full.  If you eat food that has some protein and nutrients you will get full. 

The meat that we get nowadays is white and has no flavor at all.  They grow it too fast.  We bought some label rouge chickens, skinny little things that weighed about one pound for a whole chicken.  They are natural chickens that eat bugs and other normal chicken diet items.  This little chicken will make you full so quickly.  We got three meals out of each one (for two people).  You just eat a little and you are full. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, TommyBond said:

I prefer to have 3 proper healthy meals a day instead of being on a diet and secretly snacking all the bullshit I can find in our snack cupboard. 

You want to have a good diet, not be on a diet.  You need to be able to eat food that you enjoy or you will never stick to it.  Learn how to cook or you will never make it. 

The biggest problem now is that all ingredients are getting ruined.  We just had lunch and had fresh made pico de gallo and guacamole that we bought yesterday. You cannot even taste the onions, tomatoes, avocados or cilantro. 

I know that this is very selfish, but if these companies want to ruin processed food that comes in a pretty package, go ahead because people who eat that crap know it is garbage and I see them think it is funny that they will not eat anything healthy.  But they have now ruined fresh meat, fruit and vegetables.  We switched to cherry tomatoes a few years ago because regular tomatoes taste like a blob of water.  Now, even the cherry tomatoes are losing their flavor.  This is happening right before our eyes and very quickly.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 4:57 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

You want to have a good diet, not be on a diet.  You need to be able to eat food that you enjoy or you will never stick to it.  Learn how to cook or you will never make it. 

The biggest problem now is that all ingredients are getting ruined.  We just had lunch and had fresh made pico de gallo and guacamole that we bought yesterday. You cannot even taste the onions, tomatoes, avocados or cilantro. 

I know that this is very selfish, but if these companies want to ruin processed food that comes in a pretty package, go ahead because people who eat that crap know it is garbage and I see them think it is funny that they will not eat anything healthy.  But they have now ruined fresh meat, fruit and vegetables.  We switched to cherry tomatoes a few years ago because regular tomatoes taste like a blob of water.  Now, even the cherry tomatoes are losing their flavor.  This is happening right before our eyes and very quickly.

The tomatoes are all hydroponically grown... Little in the way of nutrients. They are naturally all water. 😀

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 11:08 AM, JJkizak said:

My diet as dictated to me by my doctor:

1...no sugar

2...no salt

3...no ice cream

4...no cake

5...no cookies

6...no pies

7...no candy

8...no pasta

9...no white bread

10..no white potatoes

11..no white rice

12..no processed food

13..no lobster

14..no salad dressing

15..no red meat

16..no egg yokes

17..no soft drinks

18..no booze

19..no shrimp

20..no liver

I am now so skinny I have to turn sideways for people to see me.

JJK

Well, at least you still got....   Barbacoa, Mollejas, Tripitas, Lengua, Fajita, Cabrito and lets not forget good ole Fried Chicken.

• Like 1

Funny thing is... I was eating a lot of pasta when I met my filipino wife. We switch to white rice and I lost 5-10 pounds.

We switched to brown rice last year or so. I love it but it takes longer to cook. I soak it overnight and cook in an Insta-Pot and it's done between 24-30 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of days ago, I ventured into the "OMAD" eating style. That's One Meal A Day. It's only been a few days, but I think I like it. I only eat Ketogenic, and for one thing, OMAD simplifies the whole eating ordeal.

What pushed me over the edge to try it is that it is now reported (here and there) that fasting 23 hours a day will help clear the MRNA Spike Protein from the body. That was a pretty big incentive. Also, "resting your liver" every day is beneficial.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I too am OMAD Monday through Friday then I splurge to 2 times a day on the weekend. But both meals in 6 to 8 hours.

@RealMarkDeneen absolutely no carbs? I'm not there yet...tons less than I used to eat and no sugar/processed foods. And almost no fruit. Only grains we eat are millet and sorghum because they contain no lectins.

51 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

@RealMarkDeneen sounds interesting my liver could use a rest!  Nah, diabetic and fightin it every day.  Talk to me and don't be afraid to skool.  My sister does nothing but keto and she'd preach but Imma not listening to her.  lol  Gimme, gimme oh wise one!  lol

Hi Dave,,,

Well, don't say you didn't ask for it!! LOL

I've been doing a deep dive on "metabolic disorder" for a couple of years. I have radically altered my eating plan (notice I don't use the word "diet" because this is permanent, not temporary. It was VERY hard at 73 years old to radically change, but I wanted to stop hurting my chances to live longer, so I stuck with it. Now, it is easy as pie - but it took almost a year to get comfortable eating nothing but meat, eggs, butter, and fat!

Here's some bullet points to summarize my lernin'

*Metabolic disorders are killing the country because the food industry is creating unhealthful food.

*It begins with eating too many carbs and soon one is overweight. That soon turns into fatty liver disease, which progresses to Insulin resistance, which progresses to diabetes, which progresses to cardio vascular disease which progresses to Alzheimers.

* Humans only need TWO FOOD GROUPS to live: Protein and Fat - end of story. There is no biological requirement to eat ANY carbohydrates of any kind. Carbs are simply "fun foods" but when eaten as we do in the USA, they become toxic to our system because it generates way to much sugar intake, spiking our insulin, which causes Insulin resistance - the step right before diabetes.

* Sugar is a toxin - full stop. Doesn't matter if it is table sugar, honey, or high fructose corn syrup. It's a toxin.

* Nearly ALL Type II diabetes can be cured with a radical change in eating plan. Relying upon insulin or metformin will not sure the underlying disease, but the right FOOD WILL!

* Most people need to start with full-on weight loss using strict Keto principles. It works because you won't be starving yourself like most fad diets, AND while you are eating full Keto you will be CURING fatty liver and insulin resistance, AND you will simple "Fell better".

*The first goal should be a BMI of under 25. It might take a year, or more depending on current BMI.

* You of course need a blood sugar test kit, and a Keto test kit. For Keto, I recommend "KetoMojo" kit. WOrks well, reasonable price. It is 100% necessary in order to learn and know when you are in ketosis and when you are not. In the beginning on Keto, it's easy to ASSUME you are in ketosis, but you may not be.

*After you get under BMI 25 or so (lower is better) you should begin to stabilize your insulin system back to a normal response, and ultimately, at some point, diabetes will be gone (check with your doctor of course).

*But then, you must enter permanent maintenance. Which means you have changed your eating plan for life. Otherwise...........rebound city! You don't want that.

But once you have lost the weight, cured the liver, and cured diabetes, you can add back small amounts of carbs - like no more than 10% of your daily caloric input, but stick with APPROVED CARBS: Real Whole grains (not fake Kellog whole grains), and berries - black, blue, raspberries etc. Avoid ALL FRUIT JUICE, and all "added sugar.

See what you think of that, and ask questions. Also, follow the "Carb Addiction Doc" on youtube:

9 minutes ago, babadono said:

I too am OMAD Monday through Friday then I splurge to 2 times a day on the weekend. But both meals in 6 to 8 hours.

@RealMarkDeneen absolutely no carbs? I'm not there yet...tons less than I used to eat and no sugar/processed foods. And almost no fruit. Only grains we eat are millet and sorghum because they contain no lectins.

Fabulous! I kind of alternate between OMAD and TMAD. Now that my BMI is 19, I have added back some carbs. I eat berrries for the anti-oxident power, and I eat "Ezekial 4:19" Bread because it is sprouted grains and has great fiber to carb ratio of 5.

I used to live on that Ezekiel bread... that and other "high Fiber" items tore my gut apart. Got diagnosed with microscopic colitis. Now avoid lectin containing foods almost 100% of the time and gut is recovering somewhat. Doc says there is no cure, just have to deal with it.

• Like 1

I have also been on a crusade to eliminate pharmaceuticals. Over the time since I turned 65, my doctors (pill pushers) have slowly gotten me onto the pharma gravy train. First it was anti-GIRD medication, then medication for arthritis, then of course high blood pressure and then Statins. I've spent my life being a compliant patient. "Gee, if doc says I need that, I better take it." No more!

As I improved my eating plan, I slowly began to eliminate medications. Every time I got off one, I felt better. Eventually, I eliminated 6 meds and I am not down to ONE, and I hope to titrate that down and eliminate it soon.

Along that journey, I discovered that the GIRD was easily eliminated by eating right. I discovered that statins were being described to half the country now because the CDC, and NIH, and the medical-pharma-regulatory-complex is operating on faulty 1970 science which assumes "cholesterol cause heart disease". 100% bogus science brought to the USDA by the huckster Ancel Keys, who sold the US government on FRAUDULENT science he had performed. Cholesterol and triglicerides have almost nothing to do with cardio disease. Except in the rare cases where someone has a very high number of apo-B particles in the blood. Rare. Everyone else is on the Statin Gravy Train.

And so on it goes....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, babadono said:

I used to live on that Ezekiel bread... that and other "high Fiber" items tore my gut apart. Got diagnosed with microscopic colitis. Now avoid lectin containing foods almost 100% of the time and gut is recovering somewhat. Doc says there is no cure, just have to deal with it.

Understood. My wife has a "tender gut" and has to also be cautious. I was born with a cast iron gut - the one thing Nature got right for me!

• Like 2