Klipsch RF-5 black woofers

Konan

Hey, I'm new to the forum and just picked up a pair of Klipsch RF-5 speakers for my HT setup off of FB Marketplace.  To my surprise when I showed up to look at the speakers the woofers were all black instead of the iconic copper color.  I have been looking around for info about this but haven't seen anyone else mention this or any pics of this configuration.  Were the early RF-5 speakers all black? If so is there any significant difference in quality, materials, etc between the black woofers vs copper woofers?  I was very hesitant to buy them given this but felt reassured that they were all original upon close inspection.  Honestly, I would rather have had the copper colored cone as it is indicative of Klipsch reference speakers!  Also, any details about the different iterations of the RF-5 speakers from the inception through the current RF-5 speakers would be helpful.  Even just opining on quality between them would be interesting to me.  The speakers I purchased were RF-5 cherry in very good condition and haven't been played much at all. I paid 320 for them, which seemed like a good to reasonable price.

Thanks,

10 minutes ago, Konan said:

Hey, I'm new to the forum and just picked up a pair of Klipsch RF-5 speakers for my HT setup off of FB Marketplace.  To my surprise when I showed up to look at the speakers the woofers were all black instead of the iconic copper color.  I have been looking around for info about this but haven't seen anyone else mention this or any pics of this configuration.  Were the early RF-5 speakers all black? If so is there any significant difference in quality, materials, etc between the black woofers vs copper woofers?  I was very hesitant to buy them given this but felt reassured that they were all original upon close inspection.  Honestly, I would rather have had the copper colored cone as it is indicative of Klipsch reference speakers!  Also, any details about the different iterations of the RF-5 speakers from the inception through the current RF-5 speakers would be helpful.  Even just opining on quality between them would be interesting to me.  The speakers I purchased were RF-5 cherry in very good condition and haven't been played much at all. I paid 320 for them, which seemed like a good to reasonable price.

Thanks,

I've never seen an RF-5 with black coned drivers.  You might pull one out and see if there is any writing or markings ion the backs.  I doubt they're Klipsch drivers.

I inspected them and the speakers perfectly match the recessed shape in the cabinet and they appeared to be of high quality and sound.  Also, the screws were original and didn't appear to be worn from removal.  I guess I was right to be concerned.  Hopefully someone on here can vindicate me...  

I can post some pics when I get home this evening if there is any interest.

I have another question as well. There is a sticker on the back of the speaker that says "Monster Cable Internally Wired with Custom Z-Series Cable.  This probably isn't verbatim but pretty close to the wording.  Is this typical of these speakers or a modification?

1 minute ago, Konan said:

I have another question as well. There is a sticker on the back of the speaker that says "Monster Cable Internally Wired with Custom Z-Series Cable.  This probably isn't verbatim but pretty close to the wording.  Is this typical of these speakers or a modification?

Typical.

There are black woofers from the Synergy series that match the size and outer metal trim of the 8" woofers in the RF-5.  My money is on that's what's in your speakers...

P1000449-001.JPG

00i0i_2VP5EVvUAKC_1200x900.jpg

If that's the case, it'll be pretty costly to replace all four if you decide to.  Probably about as much as you paid for the speakers to begin with.

35 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

There are black woofers from the Synergy series that match the size and outer metal trim of the 8" woofers in the RF-5.  My money is on that's what's in your speakers...

P1000449-001.JPG

00i0i_2VP5EVvUAKC_1200x900.jpg

If that's the case, it'll be pretty costly to replace all four if you decide to.  Probably about as much as you paid for the speakers to begin with.

Good call, that's probably what's in them. 

The RF-5 (and RCF-7) aftermarket replacements that I've seen are all copper now.  No black center cap.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-woofer-1011974.html

Man I sure hope that isn’t what I got.  I would have to assume that he knowingly swapped the woofers..  here are some pics of the speakers. I have pics of the woofers but I can’t upload more than 2mb since I’m a noob.

Edited by Konan

1 hour ago, Konan said:

Man I sure hope that isn’t what I got.  I would have to assume that he knowingly swapped the woofers..  here are some pics of the speakers. I have pics of the woofers but I can’t upload more than 2mb since I’m a noob.

You can download a picture resizing app to make the pics less than 2mb.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:26 PM, Konan said:

@Konan Well....??  :)

Klipsch has been using copper cones since the beginning in the RF series.  Sounds like these were modified since many times the woofers get damaged from either people thinking they require a lot more bass and over driving them or the copper cones are pretty fragile.  Once dinged or warped, it can't be fixed.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, Konan said:

Man I sure hope that isn’t what I got.  I would have to assume that he knowingly swapped the woofers.. 

Probably the cheapest and easiest way to correct this is to locate a pair of RF-3's, they are much more common than the RF-5 and use the same exact woofers, I've been able to pick up several sets over the years in very nice to mint condition in the $150 range. 

You are all probably right, the original woofers must have gotten blown and they used these as replacements since these go for around 40 per speakers as compared to 75.  I'm wondering how much of a difference there would be between this and the original woofer.   Also, I didn't know that the RF-3 had the same size woofer, I had thought they were 6" woofers instead of 8".  I may keep my eye out for some RF-3's in the future to swap from if you guys think it will make a significant difference.  I personally think they sound really good but then again I don't have anything to compare them with.  

On 1/16/2019 at 7:33 AM, jjptkd said:

Probably the cheapest and easiest way to correct this is to locate a pair of RF-3's, they are much more common than the RF-5 and use the same exact woofers, I've been able to pick up several sets over the years in very nice to mint condition in the $150 range. 

I'll keep my eye out but the few sets I am seeing online right now are going for $450 or more which is a lot more than I paid for the RF5's.  Maybe it's my area but I never see deals like other people seem to find.  Even a pair of RF5's go for a minimum of 550 after watching them for 6 months straight locally.