SVS pb13 ultra reviews

any members here have the SVS pb-13 ultra sub? if so what are your opinions on it?  ive read a bunch of reviews on the introweb but many seem biased towards SVS in general or are older reviews.  just looking for some current reviews on this sub paired with klipsch speakers. 

& also any opinions on this sub vs dual sb2000's?  the sb or pb 2000 is not in the same league as the pb13 ultra & cost less than half as much as the 13 ultra did when it was available.  im thinking dual sb2000s would be better than a single 13 ultra but have not heard either in person to compare.  theres a 13 ultra for sale in my area for about the same price as i can get 2 sb2000's for used, so just trying to decide which is better.  i listen mainly to classic & modern rock music but also do some movies so i assume the sealed box is best. 

thanks in advance for any input

2 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

any members here have the SVS pb-13 ultra sub? if so what are your opinions on it?  ive read a bunch of reviews on the introweb but many seem biased towards SVS in general or are older reviews.  just looking for some current reviews on this sub paired with klipsch speakers. 

& also any opinions on this sub vs dual sb2000's?  the sb or pb 2000 is not in the same league as the pb13 ultra & cost less than half as much as the 13 ultra did when it was available.  im thinking dual sb2000s would be better than a single 13 ultra but have not heard either in person to compare.  theres a 13 ultra for sale in my area for about the same price as i can get 2 sb2000's for used, so just trying to decide which is better.  i listen mainly to classic & modern rock music but also do some movies so i assume the sealed box is best. 

thanks in advance for any input

Call SVS on the phone and talk to them. They will ask you detailed questions and help you determine best choice for you.   I too wold think two subs are better than single larger, more powerful sub for headroom and more even bass response in the room though.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jason str said:

The PB 13 sounded like a child's toy to me compared to either of my horn subs but I'm probably just spoiled.

If you go with sealed in a larger room be sure to get multiples.

Obviously.   I would hope so.  OP stated in another post that he is space limited.  A large horn loaded sub doesn't appear to be in the cards for him. 

• Like 2

Just now, Westcoastdrums said:

Obviously.   I would hope so.  OP stated in another post that he is space limited.  A large horn loaded sub doesn't appear to be in the cards for him. 

Priorities, priorities, move some junk out of the room if needed i always say. If you spend lots of time using the system it makes good sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jason str said:

Priorities, priorities, move some junk out of the room if needed i always say. If you spend lots of time using the system it makes good sense.

Ha I hear ya. IMO the link I posted some time ago has nice options without going full apeshit on a massive horn loaded sub.  Food for thought. GSG Audio. 

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I would start by asking what speakers are these Subs going to be paired with? The answer may be in the other thread but since you started to threads I am too lazy to go look at the other one

That would be a good start along with room size and if its an open space or sealed off room.

I own an SVS SB-13 Plus which am very pleased with for movies and music.  I have heard twin SB-13 Ultras in a stereo setup and was blown away.  Never heard the PB-13 Ultra but like the fact that you can plug the ports for tuning to certain frequencies and to convert to a sealed sub.  Nice feature.  

I say get the PB-13 Ultra and add another one when a good deal becomes available.

Bill

6 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I would start by asking what speakers are these Subs going to be paired with? The answer may be in the other thread but since you started to threads I am too lazy to go look at the other one

yes a big horn loaded sub isnt really an option for me, although i'm sure they are great.  i suppose i am stuck with child's toys for now. ;)

speakers are chorus 2, running on 200watt/ch solid state seperates.  only other thread i started was a wanted ad for the sb2000's, no other info there.

the room is in a carpeted basement, about 22x14, with one bedroom door & a stairway opening on the long wall.  its a pretty low 7.25'-7.5' drop ceiling, rafters above are 8" tall. 2 small windows up high & no other room treatments.  listening position is a leather sectional couch about halfway in the room, maybe 1-2' forward.  tv stand & tv between the speakers on the front short wall.

the sb2000's are smaller 14x14x14 squares & are easy to move & position compared to the big pb13 that weighs 155lbs!  i appreciate any input on the room or in general on other subs, but mainly looking for opinions on the pb13 vs 2 sb2000's,  finding them used is what ive narrowed my sub choice & budget down to currently.   

Owning Many sets of Chorus II's over the past 25 years or so i don't recommend any of the choices if you like to throw some watts to those mains, if using a 50 watt amp you may be OK.

2 good 15" ported subs would be the minimum i would recommend for the task.

20 minutes ago, jason str said:

While those Chorus II are loafing with a couple watts those subs you want are out of steam producing copious distortion.  >link<

Interesting post as the review you linked had nothing but positive things to say about both subs haha. Was that the intention? I say bass is very personal as well. Some people like insane bass (me at times) and some people just want to fill in the low end and not have the sub call ateention to itself.  I guess it depends on which camp you are in.  Instead of going Sealed, why not ported?   Output and extension is better, especially if you are more than likely going with one sub.   If you were gokgn with the 16 ultra, sure you could probably get away with one Sealed.   Just a thought. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Interesting post as the review you linked had nothing but positive things to say about both subs haha. Was that the intention? I say bass is very personal as well. Some people like insane bass (me at times) and some people just want to fill in the low end and not have the sub call ateention to itself.  I guess it depends on which camp you are in.  Instead of going Sealed, why not ported?   Output and extension is better, especially if you are more than likely going with one sub.   If you were gokgn with the 16 ultra, sure you could probably get away with one Sealed.   Just a thought. 

My explanation is exactly what i posted.

One sealed sub in a large room is in no way going to keep up with Chorus II's unless using a low powered amplifier.

I stand by my 2 x15" ported recommendation.

1 minute ago, jason str said:

My explanation is exactly what i posted.

One sealed sub in a large room is in no way going to keep up with Chorus II's unless using a low powered amplifier.

I stand by my 2 x15" ported recommendation.

I don't disagree with you there.   My question was on the review linked that praised both SVS subs.   Seemed like argument was against either due to high levels of distortion, but the article yielded praise.   Just curious. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I don't disagree with you there.   My question was on the review linked that praised both SVS subs.   Seemed like argument was against either due to high levels of distortion, but the article yielded praise.   Just curious. 

Anytime you run a sub close to its limits you get high distortion, just how things work.

Using the proper tool for the job avoids this issue and you end up with a much more pleasant sounding system.

If the OP was running bookshelf speakers it would be a whole different story.

2 minutes ago, jason str said:

Anytime you run a sub close to its limits you get high distortion, just how things work.

Using the proper tool for the job avoids this issue and you end up with a much more pleasant sounding system.

If the OP was running bookshelf speakers it would be a whole different story.

I am asking and you are answering two different things.   Again and I understand and agree with you here.   I asked about the link. Disregard its OK. We agree on what you are saying. Let's leave it at that.  He is budget and space limited however.   These are the main issues stated.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I am asking and you are answering two different things.   Again and I understand and agree with you here.   I asked about the link. Disregard its OK. We agree on what you are saying. Let's leave it at that.  He is budget and space limited however.   These are the main issues stated.   

I'm trying to answer your questions, the link was posted in regards to output that won't match up with the loudspeakers is all.

Budget, get one at a time and match it up later.

Space, make some or live with regrets of not doing it right the first time.