SVS pb13 ultra reviews

14 minutes ago, jason str said:

I'm trying to answer your questions, the link was posted in regards to output that won't match up with the loudspeakers is all.

Budget, get one at a time and match it up later.

Space, make some or live with regrets of not doing it right the first time.

Roger.   

my initial post is asking about DUAL sb2000's vs the pb13ultra.  i am considering 2 of the 2000's, not one.  so i highly doubt they will run out of steam for my needs.  this is a relatively small room in my opinion, its a narrow rectangle with very low ceiling.  i also dont run the ch2 at all out max volume but also dont intend to run 50watts or less... i stated i use a 200wpc seperate amp/pre set up. 

& while i value jasons input on subs, i think hes at a different level than me with horn loaded subs & calling the pb13 a childs toy... im not going for all out max SPL or extreme low hz.  just want to add the missing lower octave for the music i listen to & keep it a tighter bass that seald sub(s) do vs ported.  plus ported subs are usually much bigger than sealed. 

thanks again for the replies & suggestions, but im mainly looking for opinions on the pb13 ultra & or it vs dual sb2000's. 

• Like 1

The stock Chorus II will do a better job producing bass than those two sealed subs, may as well just leave well enough alone.

The PB 13 is worth installing if you go that route.

Sounds like you have your mind set so good luck to you whatever you do.

22 hours ago, jason str said:

The stock Chorus II will do a better job producing bass than those two sealed subs, may as well just leave well enough alone.

The PB 13 is worth installing if you go that route.

Sounds like you have your mind set so good luck to you whatever you do.

???  the chorus 2 will do a equal or better job on bass than dual sb2000's?  i havent heard the 2000's but a friend has the nsd12 model before the 2000's & by itself it has at least equal or in some ways better bass than ch2.  the sb2000 goes lower in freq & being dedicated subs i assume 2 will have better bass response & add the lower octave that full range sppeakers cant do.  but again i havent heard sb2000s yet so im guessing.. have you heard 1 or even 2 sb2000's to support that claim?

yes i have a mind set based on all the particulars i mentioned, mainly budget & room size, down the road in a different house etc maybe things will change.  thanks again for the input & wished luck.  

5 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

???  the chorus 2 will not do a equal or better job on bass than dual sb2000's?  i havent heard the 2000's but a friend has the nsd12 model before the 2000's & by itself it has at least equal or in some ways better bass than ch2.  the sb2000 goes lower in freq & being dedicated subs i assume 2 will have better bass response & add the lower octave that full range sppeakers cant do.  but again i havent heard sb2000s yet so im guessing.. have you heard 1 or even 2 sb2000's to support that claim?

yes i have a mind set based on all the particulars i mentioned, mainly budget & room size, down the road in a different house etc maybe things will change.  thanks again for the input & wished luck.  

I built enough subs over the years to at least fill a semi trailer plus own a set of Chorus II and have no reason to bullshit you.

Pretty much heard most of the SVS units though not all of them its all about the proper tool for the job.

never said you were BS'ing,  & don't doubt how many subs you've built or owned, just asked to elaborate on your claim about chorus 2 having more/better bass than dual subs,  & was curious if you have actually heard 1 or 2 sb2000's.

if chorus2 or other equal size speakers produce better bass than a good quality sub, let alone 2 of them, why do so many people add subs to their systems?  its because they add to or improve the bass of most any full range speaker on its own or they want more bass than the 2 speakers alone provide.  in order to make a chorus 2 produce its maximum bass you need to turn up the volume pretty far & have them perfectly located, with sub(s) you have full control of the added bass.  thats my reasoning at least :unsure:

12 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

just asked to elaborate on your claim about chorus 2 having more/better bass than dual subs

My interpretation is that the Chorus 2 will produce a more seamless/smoother bass response down to it's designed frequency capabilities.  In other words, to squeeze out that extra octave you are seeking for stereo music may be more $$$ and work just to get there.  I still think it is very possible with the twin SB2000s but do see(think I see) where @jason str is coming from.

Case in point, my RF-63s are incredible sounding speakers for stereo music and I often listen without my subs engaged.  For my large multi-use room, the system has been much easier to tune for HT than for music.  Don't mind a little "boominess" for smash up action movies but for music, just can't have that.  I had just about gotten it right for music with all four subs when I sold my twin RT-10ds.  Now with the remaining two subs I have to start all over with placement, EQ, phase, gain, etc.  In other words, more time, trial, and error.

Bill

@willland  thanks for the explanation, i can see where he's coming from too.  the point i was making though is that adding 2 subs to chorus2 or most other full range speakers almost always adds to & improves the overall bass capability, thats why so many people add sub(s) to their system... if the main speakers alone produced better/more bass than a decent quality sub.. there would be no need for subs!   i fully understand & agree that bigger is better & 2 15" subs would be better than 2 12's, but unfortunately i am space & budget limited so i need to stay within reason here, yes i could buy/build a huge horn sub or dual 15" monstrosity subs, but at this point thats just not practical for my needs. 

thanks again for the input so far, but im only looking for opinions on the comparison of the 2 subs mentioned to help decide if i want 1 big pb13 ultra because theres a good local deal or hold out for dual sb2000s,  but from the reading i've done & what SVS says about 2 subs vs 1, i think im set on dual sb2000s for the price of the 1 ultra... for now,  can always sell them & upgrade down the road!  ;) 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, EpicKlipschFan said:

never said you were BS'ing,  & don't doubt how many subs you've built or owned, just asked to elaborate on your claim about chorus 2 having more/better bass than dual subs,  & was curious if you have actually heard 1 or 2 sb2000's.

if chorus2 or other equal size speakers produce better bass than a good quality sub, let alone 2 of them, why do so many people add subs to their systems?  its because they add to or improve the bass of most any full range speaker on its own or they want more bass than the 2 speakers alone provide.  in order to make a chorus 2 produce its maximum bass you need to turn up the volume pretty far & have them perfectly located, with sub(s) you have full control of the added bass.  thats my reasoning at least :unsure:

I felt it was part of my job to hear the competition, SVS is nothing special.

Cannot explain things any clearer than i have here, some need to learn the expensive way or the hard way and it sounds like you are one of them.

learn the hard way??   sorry but you lost me on that one.  why so judgemental of my wants & needs?  SVS are very good subs & 99% of people that own or hear them have nothing but positive things to say about them, & they are as good or better than most the top rated brands out there.  yes there are better, but thats not needed for my current situation.  

as i said i value your input on subs, but nothing you explained in this thread pertains to what i was asking about... sounds like you are of the belief that everyone needs home built HUGE horn subs or uber expensive absolute top of the line subs no matter a persons budget or room size etc. or that anything else are childs toys!  you are clearly on a completely different level than the majority of people on this forum or other casual listeners.  :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

learn the hard way??   sorry but you lost me on that one.  why so judgemental of my wants & needs?  SVS are very good subs & 99% of people that own or hear them have nothing but positive things to say about them, & they are as good or better than most the top rated brands out there.  yes there are better, but thats not needed for my current situation.  

as i said i value your input on subs, but nothing you explained in this thread pertains to what i was asking about... sounds like you are of the belief that everyone needs home built HUGE horn subs or uber expensive absolute top of the line subs no matter a persons budget or room size etc. or that anything else are childs toys!  you are clearly on a completely different level than the majority of people on this forum or other casual listeners.  :unsure:

Never said you need a horn sub or expensive model, just the right one for the job so you don't regret the purchase.

Knowing dam well those sealed subs will run out of steam with only a few watts going to the mains i just want to make it clear what you should expect.

ok,  my comments are refering to how you said the pb13 ultra was a childs toy compared to your  horn subs,  & that SVS is nothing special,  that does not pertain to me in any way & is only your opinion of SVS.  or that a single sealed sub will run out of steam, when i asked about dual sealed subs.  or saying chorus2 have better/more bass than dual sb2000's yet youve never heard them & people add these types of subs (or lesser quality) to their main speakers all the time to improve or add to the bass.  or the suggestion of dual ported 15's when i said i dont have the space/budget for them... then suggesting i make more space,  sorry but an expansion of my basement footprint is not an option & a budget is just that, the amount i can afford to spend,  if you want to kick in some $$ i would be happy to entertain other subs... :rolleyes:

not trying to argue with you at all, but remember my question was if anyone has compared the pb13 to dual sb2000's or just an opinion of the pb13 in general, not compared to horn subs.  thanks again for the input.

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

ok,  my comments are refering to how you said the pb13 ultra was a childs toy compared to your  horn subs,  & that SVS is nothing special,  that does not pertain to me in any way & is only your opinion of SVS.  or that a single sealed sub will run out of steam, when i asked about dual sealed subs.  or saying chorus2 have better/more bass than dual sb2000's yet youve never heard them & people add these types of subs (or lesser quality) to their main speakers all the time to improve or add to the bass.  or the suggestion of dual ported 15's when i said i dont have the space/budget for them... then suggesting i make more space,  sorry but an expansion of my basement footprint is not an option & a budget is just that, the amount i can afford to spend,  if you want to kick in some $$ i would be happy to entertain other subs... :rolleyes:

not trying to argue with you at all, but remember my question was if anyone has compared the pb13 to dual sb2000's or just an opinion of the pb13 in general, not compared to horn subs.  thanks again for the input.

Never said i have not heard the SB-2000 when in fact i have and have done some experimentation to a similar Peerless driver used in the SVS.

Plain and simple you have big boy speakers and will need a big boy sub if you plan to use a high power amplifier and has nothing to do with SVS like you make it seem.

As to the SB or PB ? They both sound the same but the PB will play lower and louder.

Buy ported subs one at a time if money is tight, best advice i can offer.

i asked earlier if you have heard the sb2000's & you didnt really say you had, just that you've heard "most" their subs... sorry for any confusion. 

im not making it seem about svs, just replying to your comments saying i basically need big ported subs, or nothing.  the chorus2 may be "big boy" speakers, but again, they are not always pushed to max output, there is a big range of normal & upper listening levels that doesn't yield their max bass & you have control over it with a volume knob regardless of amp power.  subs will add to the mains & provide the lower octave myelf & many others are after. 

i've owned lots of mid range subs over the years, obviously not as nice as yours, & many other big boy speakers, from dual 12" woofer epic cf4 to 2 pairs of K-horns & many others in between... ALL of them benefited from a sub wether ported or sealed, 12" or 15".  i used to own a sealed velodyne fsr15 that was an excellent sub & would not run out of steam in a normal size room, except for maybe at all out max volume of the k-horns, but the sub still helped every other place.   

unfortunately my audio budget doesnt really allow to buy a big ported sub, then have more money to buy another one later.  & the room size & placement options are still a big factor, the room doesn't magically get bigger to allow for dual ported subs now or at a later time.  nor do i need that much bass in this small room, with close neighbors on both sides.  just being realistic here, i think we have different wants & needs for a sub & can leave it at that. :unsure:

looks like not many here have directly compared the subs im asking about, so i will report back or post a new thread if & when i locate what im looking for.  thanks for the replies & messages!   

• Like 1

If you need to see a simple graph and chart and know what you are looking at you can go to Data-Bass and compare the SB12, its within 1-1.5 dB of the SB 2000 to the PB13.

The newer model added 100 watts but does not change much overall as mentioned.

Sealed 12

Ported 13

Keep in mind the sealed model was measured 2 meters groundplane.