SVS pb13 ultra reviews

awsome, thanks for the links!  finally the first actual comparison of these subs after 2 pages, but only 1 vs 1.  good to see the db numbers at certain hz ranges.  looks like the pb13 is about 7-8db louder from 100-60hz, & after that its quite a bit louder at 10-12+db.  as expected the pb 13 is a better sub & msrp was more than double the sb 2000s price.  

now forgive my ignorance, but what happens to the numbers when you have TWO of the smaller subs compared to 1 pb13?  i dont know how to do that math equation for an accurate number but you would assume 2 subs to be a higher db in this case than just 1 sub, no?  then consider the better placement ability to compensate for room problems with 2 subs vs 1 & it sure seems like 2 would be better than 1.  kind of what SVS says in general too.  

as for the 12nsd vs the sb2000,  SVS says they added more power but also used a totally redisgned (better) driver in the sb2000.  something about testing like 13 different drivers untill they found the best one.  the sb2000 is supposed to be quite a bit better than the nsd.  would like to see tests from these guys on the sb2000.  

thanks again   

Two properly placed subs will even out some response throughout the room.

Two stacked will add 6 dB.

My advice is cross them over about 50 or 60 Hz but see what works best for you.

There is a general review i posted in the thread about the SB2000 earlier in the thread for reference, the difference is negligible.

In an attempt to muddy the water and stick my nose in a conversation I have nothing to gain :) maxed out. I purchased a tuba sub from a member here and ruined regular subwoofers for myself. 😁 All Horn subs aren't expensive, and some aren't much bigger of a footprint than the PB13 is. That thing is a monster! 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pioneerhip said:

In an attempt to muddy the water and stick my nose in a conversation I have nothing to gain :) maxed out. I purchased a tuba sub from a member here and ruined regular subwoofers for myself. 😁 All Horn subs aren't expensive, and some aren't much bigger of a footprint than the PB13 is. That thing is a monster! 

thanks for the comment, im aware horn subs are very good.  curious, how much do you have in your tuba sub & amp? 

yes the pb13 is rather large, thats the main reason im considering 2 smaller ones, & i can get 2 used sb2000's for the same price as 1 pb13. 

I can't recommend the SB-2000.  I use one as a PC subwoofer, my foot is touching one right this second, and it works great in that environment.  I've sold a couple of singles and they just get returned.  It's not a particularly bad sub, it's just that people have unrealistic expectations as to what a sealed 12" driver can do especially in a home theater environment.  I use a PB-2000 with my La Scala's and like it fine, don't really need anything else at the volume that I listen to.  The PB isn't that much more, really no reason not to just get two of those if you're really worried about it.  I sell the snot out of those, keep several in stock.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jason str said:

Table Tuba would cost 2-300 depending on driver and amp choice.

Seaton Sound is right by me.

That's the one I have. I purchased used but even at $300 and a cheapo used plate amp you'll come out ahead vs the options you've mentioned. 

24 minutes ago, pioneerhip said:

That's the one I have. I purchased used but even at $300 and a cheapo used plate amp you'll come out ahead vs the options you've mentioned. 

For $300 the amp is included in the price and you can afford the optional 10" driver, guaranteed to piss off everybody living near by.

That's what i use with my Chorus II.

6 minutes ago, jason str said:

For $300 the amp is included in the price and you can afford the optional 10" driver, guaranteed to piss off everybody living near by.

That's what i use with my Chorus II.

Hmmmmm.  Where does one purchase one of these $300 tuba subs?   I take it it's a DIY job and $300 in materials? 

13 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I can't recommend the SB-2000.  I use one as a PC subwoofer, my foot is touching one right this second, and it works great in that environment.  I've sold a couple of singles and they just get returned.  It's not a particularly bad sub, it's just that people have unrealistic expectations as to what a sealed 12" driver can do especially in a home theater environment.  I use a PB-2000 with my La Scala's and like it fine, don't really need anything else at the volume that I listen to.  The PB isn't that much more, really no reason not to just get two of those if you're really worried about it.  I sell the snot out of those, keep several in stock.  

thanks for the info.  the pb is clearly louder than the sb.  but 2 of them wont fit in my room & 2 sb's will out perform 1 pb based on what ive read & what svs says. that is the main reason im considering dual sb's, they will fit better in my situation & 2 subs will eliminate room issues.

the tuba sounds like a good bargain too, but size is the killer for me, & looking at the graph in the link, the tuba doesnt really look to be any better than the 12nsd graph as far as db/hz...  it drops like a rock after 30hz.  

You should just get the two sealed models to prove us wrong.

That Table Tuba is good to about 25 Hz with cabin gain before dropping off, dB wise its not even close.

Make the long style version and its only an inch more floor space width & depth with the 10" driver, the 8" version can be as small as 15" x 12"

3 minutes ago, jason str said:

You should just get the two sealed models to prove us wrong.

That Table Tuba is good to about 25 Hz with cabin gain before dropping off, dB wise its not even close.

Make the long style version and its only an inch more floor space width & depth.

and talk about an accurate bass that is musical! I wasn't joking when I said it ruined regular powered subwoofers. Was it established if the OP was using it primarily for music or HT? ( I probably missed it)

• Thanks 1