SVS pb13 ultra reviews

7 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

c'mon ,  klipsch makes quite a few subs that can beat a SVS pb 13 Hands down , you don't like klipsch subs , that's your opinion ,-

I would like to know the answer to this riddle. What sealed sub does klipsch make that competes with other sealed subs in its price range?

actually , this was not in regards  of  discussing  any  price point for any subs  , but rather the general  statement  of buying a used sub pb13 ultra  and having 2 or 3 subs worth of klipsch  ,  now you can also  fall on a very good deal on  used   klipsch subs -

15 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

c'mon ,  klipsch makes quite a few subs that can beat a SVS pb 13 Hands down , you don't like klipsch subs , that's your opinion ,-

c'mon , he didnt say what models of klipsch subs he was comparing to , i would agree that the bigger svs subs are better than most subs klipsch makes , Hands down ,  you like klipsch subs , thats your opinion ,-

the biggest factor for me not using klipsch subs is the reliability issues with so many of their models,  way to many problems reported on dead or humming sub amps to ever consider klipsch for subs regardless if they make a "better" model than the sb13 ultra.  as for ported svs subs to compare to klipsch, the pb13 has higher SPL than the sb13 & the pb16ultra or pb4000 series im not sure klipsch has any residential models that even come close to the performance of the bigger SVS.  & when the klipsch 2 year amp warranty expires, good luck getting klipsch to do anything for you... svs has & will most likely stand behind their products even after the warranty expires.  SVS customer service & warranty beats klipsch or most other companies , Hands down!       

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

But my point is that klipsch doesn't make a sealed sub, which I think we can all agree is the best design for reproducing music.

Shakey

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

Did you just say there is something (anything) we can all agree on?? Are you sure? 

No there's not.  The horn loaded subwoofer contingency would beg to differ along with the IB crew.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

No there's not.  The horn loaded subwoofer contingency would beg to differ along with the IB crew.

Horn loaded gets a pass. The klipschorn bass bin was the best bass I have heard except for OB bass. But standard ported subs are what I was referring to. Not sure what IB is though.

Shakey

9 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Horn loaded gets a pass. The klipschorn bass bin was the best bass I have heard except for OB bass. But standard ported subs are what I was referring to. Not sure what IB is though.

Shakey

Infinite baffle.  Basically its the drivers built into a wall.  I have four 18's built into my living room wall.  Super clean, super low.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 8:23 PM, RandyH000 said:

klipsch makes quite a few subs that can beat a SVS pb 13 Hands down

Just curious with no sarcasm intended, what does "beat Hands down" actually mean?  I see those exact/factual statements thrown around a bunch when it comes to subwoofer A verses subwoofer B.

Also, IMO, Klipsch has not built a "consumer" subwoofer in the last decade or so that can compete with an SVS PB-13 Ultra for impact, extension, musicality, and build quality.  The last Klipsch serious consumer subs that can check all or most of the boxes are the RSW line which is over a decade removed and none came close to the PB13U's extension.

Bill

• Like 1

OK. We have an update to my previous post above. Same settings. No Audyssey. Level match only. 60HZ crossover. Averaged across left and right channel across multiple seating postitions to allow a simplified understanding of what the result is without overwhelming with all of those measurements. 

One single SVS SB2000 sub set to 76%. AVR -15db. AVR sub level default 0db. Again, no room correction applied. Just a before and after.

Screenshot (2).png

I had(still have) a RSW-15, bought it new in the early 2ks, it rocked the house. Had amp issues, had it replaced, then more issues and bought a SVS-PB16Ultra. Turns out he RSW-15 still works (a spade connector had vibrated loose). I only verified the loose spade after I purchased the PB16.

In my room and my opinion, the PB16 is better but not night and day better. If I was offered "keep running your RSW-15" or "here is a PB16 for $2K" I woulda stuck with the RSW.

I do not measure the Hz and sound, I simply sit and watch movies, crank up the volume, and drink a beer or two.

IMO - Certain (older) Klipsch subs can run with the big dogs. Sad, but I will not buy another Klipsch sub. Klipsch fronts, center, sides, surrounds...all day

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 11:42 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

.  svs has & will most likely stand behind their products even after the warranty expires. SVS customer service & warranty beats klipsch or most other companies , Hands down!       

really ? -  you got a letter to that effect - post it -

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

NP ever with a 2004 RSW10. Other than the RSW line I know the R-115SW is a good one. I can not think of any other Klipsch subs were not outclassed for it's time though. I have heard recent rumblings about a new monster Klipsch sub coming, but that whisper died nearly instantly. I love competitive bass. Hope Klipsch gets in the game for real.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

NP ever with a 2004 RSW10. Other than the RSW line I know the R-115SW is a good one. I can not think of any other Klipsch subs were not outclassed for it's time though. I have heard recent rumblings about a new monster Klipsch sub coming, but that whisper died nearly instantly. I love competitive bass. Hope Klipsch gets in the game for real.

they are in the works   @Youthman-----------called it the BEAST -

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

No letter here but I was a second owner of a 6.5 year old(1.5 years after warranty expired) SVS SB13 Plus that had a Sledge amp failure and they replaced at no cost to me.  Less than a 2 week turnaround.

Bill

• Like 1

All this talk about movies and home theater. Well there are some of us that don’t give two sh$&s about car crashes, explosions, and Dino stomps. I’m not saying they are all that way,  but many ported subs are one trick ponies.

I really like what my HSU sub does with music with both ports sealed. But I think I am going to send it back and get a pair of smaller ULS-15s. I’m just looking to augment the cornwalls and the HSU does just that. SVS was on the list too and I’m sure their SB series do justice to music too.

Shakey

• Like 1

Well there are some of us that don’t give two sh$&s about car crashes, explosions, and Dino stomps.

I like that stuff also but a musical larger sealed sub/s can hold it's own with most action movie soundtracks while still providing that lower spectrum of the music we so love.  I do like the versatility that HSU, SVS, and some other sub companies provide with the port plugging options.

But I think I am going to send it back and get a pair of smaller ULS-15s.

Considering you are more/mostly a music guy, then those should be an excellent choice.

Bill

13 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

yes, really. a letter?  LOL! 

i think you need to step outside your box & do some research on SVS.  countless people have had SVS stand behind their subs even several years out of warranty.  just like this is a klipsch forum there are other forums or facebook groups for almost every brand of audio out there & people state their experiences good or bad... i have yet to read a single negative post about svs customer service.  they will also spend an hour or more with you on the phone or email stepping you through set up or trouble shooting issues or even before you buy anything they will give advice on what sub is best for your needs/budget.  they also offer transferable warranty, a 45 day free in home trial, if you dont like it for any reason they cover return shipping & issue full refund. they also price match if a sub goes on sale within a reasonable time... & the 1 year full credit to upgrade.  wont get any of that from klipsch, if you can even get a reply on email!  

another company that had excellent customer service like SVS is definitive technology, before they were sold to a bigger company sound united, that owns denon & some other brands now... even when their speakers were bought used & warranty was expired they would offer to send parts for free with no questions asked, including shipping! woofers, mids, tweets, plate amps etc all for free out of warranty.  i personally had them do that for me 3 different times, most recent was 6 years past the 5 year warranty!  no i dont have a "letter"... just stating facts about how some companies treat their customers vs others, & to me that is almost as important as the quality of their products. calling deftech now for help out of warranty gets the same reply as klipsch or 99% of other companies out there... "sorry you're SOL!"