SVS pb13 ultra reviews

1 minute ago, pioneerhip said:

Stop vague posting and share some info or pictures 😁

I don't have information to share yet.   Only that it seems that it may be a 21" driver at this time.... And will be the most cost effective, serious sub I can get my hands on 👍.  Thanks GSG AUDIO 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I don't have information to share yet.   Only that it seems that it may be a 21" driver at this time.... And will be the most cost effective, serious sub I can get my hands on 👍.  Thanks GSG AUDIO 

21" driver and cost effective is an oxymoron.

17 minutes ago, jason str said:

21" driver and cost effective is an oxymoron.

I didn't say cheap.  Budget is still in the works. Based on my list and dimensions given, that was proposed.  Nothing is set in stone yet.   Compared to say a $2500 SVS ultra 16?   I looked them up.  $550 or so for a driver.   I seem what you mean.  

1 hour ago, jason str said:

You should just get the two sealed models to prove us wrong.

That Table Tuba is good to about 25 Hz with cabin gain before dropping off, dB wise its not even close.

Make the long style version and its only an inch more floor space width & depth with the 10" driver, the 8" version can be as small as 15" x 12"

this isnt a competition & im not trying to prove you or anyone wrong... just asking some legit questions & stating what SVS & many others say about 2 subs vs 1. 

57 minutes ago, pioneerhip said:

and talk about an accurate bass that is musical! I wasn't joking when I said it ruined regular powered subwoofers. Was it established if the OP was using it primarily for music or HT? ( I probably missed it)

yes i stated i mainly listen to music, classic & modern rock, heavier rock/alternative.  some movies but i have a different system i use for movies. 

• Like 1

yes i looked at the cylinders, kind of awkward to position them in my room & havent really seen any on the used market within my budget.  my front corners are called for with the mains, i was planning to put the 2 sb2000s inside of the mains between the stand & mains... or maybe move one to the side wall closer to the end of the couch if it sounds better there after doing some checking with the "sub crawl" method.  

10 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

this isnt a competition & im not trying to prove you or anyone wrong... just asking some legit questions & stating what SVS & many others say about 2 subs vs 1. 

Your legit questions have been answered and proven with test results and professional opinions but yet you still ask the same questions about the same subs.

The theory of 1 sub vs 2 need to be taken in context.

32 minutes ago, jason str said:

Your legit questions have been answered and proven with test results and professional opinions but yet you still ask the same questions about the same subs.

The theory of 1 sub vs 2 need to be taken in context.

no, i do not ask the same questions about the same subs & nothing you have posted really proves anything.  you keep posting things that dont apply to my question/situation & totally disregard my stated requirements of budget/space & reason for a sub in my system.  i am NOT looking for max spl or lowest hz or big ported & horn loaded subs, each persons needs are different.  one more time, this thread is about comparing dual/two/2- sb2000's to a single/1- pb13 ultra.  i appreciate your comments & the links to graphs but none of that address these specific 2 vs 1 subs.  so yes, i continue to re-state my objectives in reply to your comments, if you feel im asking the same questions, you are free to stop giving the same answers. :rolleyes:

i appreciate everyones advice & suggestions for other subs... unfortunately i can not afford new subs & i dont want ported/horn subs at this time for my needs in this room/system.  unless someone has first hand experience with the 2 options im asking about we can wrap this thread up & i will continue searching for what im looking for.  if the 2 sb2000s are such terrible subs, i will find that out & then resell them for what i pay, no waste of money & no harm seeing what they do in my room. there are plenty of satisfied owners of sealed subs.

thank you

I just ordered plans for a couple of the tuba subs. I’m ready to be awed. If this works, maybe I’ll upgrade the AVR in the family room with the money I didn’t spend on a subwoofer.
Do you have or do you plan on using a Mini-dsp or something similar? It made all the difference with mine and actually, it is totally necessary to set the proper slope.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

no, i do not ask the same questions about the same subs & nothing you have posted really proves anything.  you keep posting things that dont apply to my question/situation & totally disregard my stated requirements of budget/space & reason for a sub in my system.  i am NOT looking for max spl or lowest hz or big ported & horn loaded subs, each persons needs are different.  one more time, this thread is about comparing dual/two/2- sb2000's to a single/1- pb13 ultra.  i appreciate your comments & the links to graphs but none of that address these specific 2 vs 1 subs.  so yes, i continue to re-state my objectives in reply to your comments, if you feel im asking the same questions, you are free to stop giving the same answers. :rolleyes:

i appreciate everyones advice & suggestions for other subs... unfortunately i can not afford new subs & i dont want ported/horn subs at this time for my needs in this room/system.  unless someone has first hand experience with the 2 options im asking about we can wrap this thread up & i will continue searching for what im looking for.  if the 2 sb2000s are such terrible subs, i will find that out & then resell them for what i pay, no waste of money & no harm seeing what they do in my room. there are plenty of satisfied owners of sealed subs.

thank you

The answers have been posted, you just can't interpret them.

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, SWL said:

Do you have or do you plan on using a Mini-dsp or something similar? It made all the difference with mine and actually, it is totally necessary to set the proper slope.

at this time  no, just want to ad some subs to my mediocre little set up in a relatively small room at normal listening levels.  im sure a dsp has its benefits but dont think thats totally necessary for my system right now.

at this time  no, just want to ad some subs to my mediocre little set up in a relatively small room at normal listening levels.  im sure a dsp has its benefits but dont think thats totally necessary for my system right now.

I was quoting M_Klipsch's post about his Tuba sub. 

20 hours ago, jason str said:

The answers have been posted, you just can't interpret them.

You're welcome.

ive read every post on here including yours... i dont see any direct answers to my question of if somone owns these subs & has compared them- 1 pb13 to 2 sb2000's. 

you posted graphs showing 1 pb13 vs 1 12nsd.  posted a link about the sb2000 saying it has bad distortion, yet the review had nothing but positive things to say about it, as @Westcoastdrums stated in his comments.  your other comments are about how i need dual 15" ported subs or nothing, "might as well just use the chorus2 without any subs"  or that a pb13 is a childs toy compared to "your subs" basically bashing SVS in general. 

if you think i cant interpret those unrelated answers,  i think you have a problem with basic reading comprehension & can't seem to acccept that many people out there dont want or need what you do.  can we kindly put this to rest now please?

5 hours ago, SWL said:

Until I got caught up in this thread. I had only heard the term “tuba subwoofer”. I knew nothing about them. It seems like a build I can pull off without a huge investment. I hadn’t considered anything thing beyond the wood, driver & amp. I do not have a DSP of any sort.  Apologies to the OP, as my intention wasn’t to hijack the thread. Thanks for the input though. I suppose I should start another thread once I’m underway. I’ll look forward to advice from someone with more skill than myself. I’ll tag you once I get started. Maybe even before I start. would be a better idea.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Revived! Late to the game again. On my way to purchase an open box SVS SB-2000 single today. Putting this in a 4000cu.ft. room. Pairing it with 5 Chorus II's each running 200W of class AB power.

Oh, and just so you know, my home theater space has less than half the cu.ft. running 5 4 way JBL's with 14" woofers that are tuned down to 30HZ @ 200W each of class AB. In that space I run two Monolith ported 12 subwoofers that are practically 4 times larger each than the SB2000. The Monoliths dig down to 11HZ @-10db in that room. I do not want that in my living room.

Reason for being so backward in placement you ask? Simple. Neighbors. They never complain about the theater, concrete walls and floor, but on the upper level the shared raised floor shakes their floor and has previously caused several complaints. I have been without a sub in the living room for almost 1 year now. I am just trying to get boost at a notch of about 7 HZ in my living room without killing it like I do in my theater. I like how the sealed SB-2000 rolls off just where I need it to without complicated or costly DSP add-ons. Measuring before and after with REW and UMIK-1 will tell the story of the benefits applied. My neighbors will appreciate me not sending them any inaudible but fully tactile infrasonic frequencies. The 5 Chorus II's can definitely fill the previously mentioned notch, but mostly at increased volume levels. Even with 200W/channel. Even with upgraded crossovers. Subs are independent and can be controlled depending on circumstances. They can also be placed in various locations avoiding room modes or nulls. I know I should be buying 2+ subs, but there is only 1 available and sold out everywhere now. Also the "design committee" is not overly excited on this one either. This little sub will be nearly invisible. If I do not like the results, I will not loose a dime and simply notify you all of my failed experiment. I personally do not require any "I told you so's" or "I warned you's". Cost, risk, and reward are far to low for that in my case.

Here are the measurements of my room with audyssey turned off, left and right channels averaged at a central listening position, with no subwoofer. 6 measurements taken across 3 seating positions to get the average you see highlighted.

+/- 4db is not a bad measurement concidering no correction software was applied. -12db smoothing applied in REW. Volume for the measurment is set at -15db and achieves reference levels at the listening position. I would like to see a smoother response from 80hz down to 25hz. We will find out if one SVS sb2000 can do the job or not.

Screenshot (1).png

thanks for the update & reviving this thread... i almost forgot about it. i hope the sb2000 does what you want in the position you have available... but consider a 2nd location for it as subs are very sensitive to location. & with 5 chorus 2's up loud in a room that large it may very well get drowned out but cant hurt to have it to cover the below 35hz where the chorus drops off. bets of luck!     

heres my update:  i located 2 sb2000 subs for an amazingly great price a few months ago with 3 years warranty left that is transferable.  i have only hooked them up in the spot i mentioned, between the tv stand & front corner speakers, no tuning or measurements with DSP & haven't ran audyssey on the AVR yet, just put them in place & connected to the sub output on the AVR & did some basic settings on the dials.  at  a little under 3/4 volume & 80hz setting they do exactly what i wanted & add a very noticeable lower octave to the chorus 2 & the same for the def tech 7002 with built in 12 powered woofers.  as 314carpenter mentioned, the chorus 2 have decent bass but the volume needs to be turned up or bass EQ increased to really make it balanced at lower volume levels.  & even at higher volumes the svs subs do what they are supposed to & adds very tight fast bass to all music, even classic rock that doesnt have much below 40hz.  

i did not get a chance to buy or listen to the pb13ultra & im sure its the better sub but even on the used market it cost more than what i paid for the 2 sb2000 & i dont think it would have been better than the dual sb2000 subs or at least not in the evenly distributed sound in the room, way to many nulls created in this room for a single sub.  even when i had K-horns or other large woofer speakers, the bass would just die in certain areas of the room, the dual subs eliminated or reduce those nulls where they are & im sure with further experiments on location & using DSP they will only get better. 

bottom line, the sb2000's are great subs for the money & especially the size, they are a very compact 14" square. im beyond happy with their performance so far & expect it to only get better with further tuning. as i said many times in this thread, not every one wants or needs or can afford huge horn or ported subs & many dont want to or cant build their own.  for about $750 shipped, i got 2 subs from a great company that do exactly what i was looking for.  down the road in a different house or with more funds available i may want to upgrade but for now im quite content with these.   

7 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

thanks for the update & reviving this thread... i almost forgot about it. i hope the sb2000 does what you want in the position you have available... but consider a 2nd location for it as subs are very sensitive to location. & with 5 chorus 2's up loud in a room that large it may very well get drowned out but cant hurt to have it to cover the below 35hz where the chorus drops off. bets of luck!     

heres my update:  i located 2 sb2000 subs for an amazingly great price a few months ago with 3 years warranty left that is transferable.  i have only hooked them up in the spot i mentioned, between the tv stand & front corner speakers, no tuning or measurements with DSP & haven't ran audyssey on the AVR yet, just put them in place & connected to the sub output on the AVR & did some basic settings on the dials.  at  a little under 3/4 volume & 80hz setting they do exactly what i wanted & add a very noticeable lower octave to the chorus 2 & the same for the def tech 7002 with built in 12 powered woofers.  as 314carpenter mentioned, the chorus 2 have decent bass but the volume needs to be turned up or bass EQ increased to really make it balanced at lower volume levels.  & even at higher volumes the svs subs do what they are supposed to & adds very tight fast bass to all music, even classic rock that doesnt have much below 40hz.  

i did not get a chance to buy or listen to the pb13ultra & im sure its the better sub but even on the used market it cost more than what i paid for the 2 sb2000 & i dont think it would have been better than the dual sb2000 subs or at least not in the evenly distributed sound in the room, way to many nulls created in this room for a single sub.  even when i had K-horns or other large woofer speakers, the bass would just die in certain areas of the room, the dual subs eliminated or reduce those nulls where they are & im sure with further experiments on location & using DSP they will only get better. 

bottom line, the sb2000's are great subs for the money & especially the size, they are a very compact 14" square. im beyond happy with their performance so far & expect it to only get better with further tuning. as i said many times in this thread, not every one wants or needs or can afford huge horn or ported subs & many dont want to or cant build their own.  for about $750 shipped, i got 2 subs from a great company that do exactly what i was looking for.  down the road in a different house or with more funds available i may want to upgrade but for now im quite content with these.   

For just a few hundred more I picked up a used pb13 ultra and now am selling my klipsch r115sw.  While I don't have any graphs I'm beyond happy and finally my large room is filled pretty well.  It really sounds like the equivalent to 2 or 3 subs worth of klipsch