How to test crossovers on Klipschorn's

farwest

New here so help this is the right place to post.  I have a couple of Klipsch speakers and I was wondering if you can test the crossover's. I get a sound every once in a while that sounds like I have a short.  I have reversed the speaker input from left to right to rule out the amp and I have had the same issue using another amp.  Also enclosed is two pictures I bought these I believe in the late 70's. 

Thanks,

Larry

IMG_8409 2.JPG

IMG_8869 2.JPG

P = 1976

need to get rid of the dust and whatever that blue stuff is

where it says tweeter midrange woofer and input you need to loosen those screws and retighten

on the 2 input screws make sure no loose wires are touching anything else

• Like 2

I'll clean it up and reattach the wires.  How do you tell what year they are?  They came unfinished and I use tung oil on the wood.  Love these speakers but I may sell them in the future I want to make sure everything is alright with them.

as for testing the x-overs,  it takes a pretty expensive meter to test the ESR of the caps, but being that old they are probably out of spec.  however, saying that, i owned a pair of 1982 k-horns with the AA x-overs & they sounded great to me, so being out of spec is not always heard from the average listener. 

but if you dont have one of those meters, best way is to listen to them & see if the mids/tweets sound "muddy/dull"  or distorted in any way.  also listen to each speaker by itself & compare to one another for difference in sound.  with a basic multi-meter you can also check the ohm reading of each driver & see if they are within specs other members can privide &/or that they match each other from each speaker.  best bet for now is clean them up & loosen, clean & re tighten each terminal & i would cut the frayed ends of the input wires & get fresh wire exposed... make sure you mark them or do one at a time to put them back correctly. then listen & enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...