Moving La Scala II upstairs solo?

klipschhornfan

Is it easy to move a pair of new La Scala II solo upstairs as I live by myself?  I noticed the speaker is now split into 2 separate units so it looks more manageable than moving all the weight at once like the LS I.

My listening room size is approximately 13" x 12" but I don't listen to my music loud (have neighbors).  Is the small room size going to be an issue?  I just plan to tuck them into the corners with a equipment rack in between.

Is Heresy going to work better for my case?

Thanks!

• Like 2

I think the LSII bottoms are going to be heavier than that with the inch mdf for the outside pieces.

That's a pretty small room for those... but I love LS.

If you get them I would ask for help moving them.

Bruce

3 hours ago, klipschhornfan said:

I can borrow a dolly.  How heavy is the bottom unit BTW?

Total speaker weight is 175lbs with the bottoms being 100-110lbs in my estimation.  Those base bins are heavy and bulky.  Definitely need a dolly.

5 hours ago, klipschhornfan said:

Is it easy to move a pair of new La Scala II solo upstairs as I live by myself?  I noticed the speaker is now split into 2 separate units so it looks more manageable than moving all the weight at once like the LS I.

My listening room size is approximately 13" x 12" but I don't listen to my music loud (have neighbors).  Is the small room size going to be an issue?  I just plan to tuck them into the corners with a equipment rack in between.

Thanks!

Just throw each over your shoulder.  Seriously a dolly or extra person would be good.  In a room that size and not being able to listen very loud, a set of Heresys might really be the ticket.  La Scalas would probably be an overkill in your situation.

• Like 1

Perhaps you can rent a MOTORIZED hand truck,  DESIGNED to go up stairs.

I know they exist because our company has one for installing racks of equipment.

Call around to your local rental or moving stores.

If the room is going to be a tight fit for the LaScala's  then yeah; get the Heresy's and a subwoofer.

There are ALWAYS be practical considerations which will affect your buying decisions.

• Like 2

If your steps are carpeted, you can lay the speaker on its side along the edge of the steps and push.  It will with a bit of effort, slide up.  The same can be done if its still in a box.   If the speakers are being delivered, perhaps, you can offer the guy a few bucks to help you get them up the stairs. 

• Like 4

If stairs are the only option then sure. Would take the tops up first or last. Leave bins in bottom of shipping box and use a heavy beach towel on top of apiece of sliddable material like cardboard. Taking your time with forethought  just from behind take it up the stairs.

May be as doable as stated. If you are willing, it will work.

There is always som eone around to assist for a token, like a beer ot 2.

Many nice suggestions here. Only question is, if your heart is set on them. From my experience, your room is big enough to enjoy at reasonable levels, until your neighbors should vacate the premises for X number of reasons. There will always be a chance to turn

up the speakers(any you decide on) when the cat is away. If you should move just reverse the process. Gravity will take care of the rest..

Moved LS 1's by self(dolly) albeit not up any stairs.

Welcome to the forum...;)

• Moderators
10 hours ago, klipschhornfan said:

Thanks!

New model LS II AK5, soon to be released in a hotel room ABOUT the size of your room.  They sounded incredible.  

20181006_114411.jpg

20181006_113458.jpg

20181006_112042.jpg

• Like 2

Depending on how stout you are and how badly you want them moved...  you can do it yourself...

Prolly not the smartest thing to do...  I would enlist some assistance... sez the guy that moved a pair of LS by himself.  I didn't have stairs to deal with. One step... and it presented a challenge.  I weigh about a buck and a quarter

• Like 1