Moving La Scala II upstairs solo?

klipschhornfan

I moved my 40+ year old La Scala's upstairs by myself a few years ago.  Left hand on the mid horn opening and right hand on the rear opening of the cabinet.  Took one step at a time with 2 landings where I could rest a moment.  If I'd lost my balance it would have been damaging to both me and the house!  It was kind of dumb even though it went fine.  No way will I try to get them down that way!  Maybe I could set them on a piece of cardboard and let them slide down like my kids used to do?  I find it easier to go upstairs than down.

• Like 1

If your steps are carpeted, you can lay the speaker on its side along the edge of the steps and push.  It will with a bit of effort, slide up.  The same can be done if its still in a box.   If the speakers are being delivered, perhaps, you can offer the guy a few bucks to help you get them up the stairs. 
Exactly what I would do!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I would lay them on their back, in the box or a couple layers of cardboard wrapped up the sides/top/bottom and taped, tie a rope around it and sit at the top and pull them right up.  If needed, rig a pulley at the top, use a prussic hitch between the two rope runs either side of the pulley to catch a slip, and get below to both pull and push.  But I've done a lot of tree climbing and rigging.

If I had to do it alone.

I wonder if he's got them moved yet.  I can hardly believe this thread is still going.....therefore I'll add to its life!

I don't know how many times over the years, I've moved my LaScalas AND my Interface D's (EV) up flights of stairs.  When I was in college, I dragged my EV's up to the 5th floor using an appliance dolly.  In later years, when I was closer to ground level, (still had to go up outside steps) I had all four of them (LaScalas and EV's) to move up and down.  Moving was always a production because of the tonnage and I always did it stone alone.

Appliance dollys are always your friend.  I currently own two of them....down from three.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

You soon learn when moving, to only select ground level dwellings or those close to it. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:57 PM, Panelhead said:

I put my LS ii upstairs. I would guess the bass bin at 140. The top is light. It is small and 3/4”.

I piss anted mine with a strap. But used to move piano’s and safes for a living. They are too large to bear hug. You need a strap to get them on your back. 

Anyone that thinks a 100 pounds is this thinking LS i. The LS ii bass bin is a load.

My guess of weight is way off. After humping the bass bins up a flight of stairs the tops felt very light. 

This is a pair of LS ii 70ths.

bass bin 119.1 pounds

top hat   62.7 pounds

Total  is 181.7 pounds for the pair. This was using a very accurate scale. Better, if you can tote both top hats you are ready for the the bass bins.