How to hook up my Klipsch R-115 sub

HenrikTJ

Hi!

I've recently bought a klipsch sub and hooked it up to my receiver using the cable from the attached image. I chose this cable because my receiver only has one input for sub pre out. When playing music, no base comes from the sub. I'm trying to stay away from using LFE cable because I mainly use my system for music, but do anyone have an idea why this connection doesn't work?

49797499_664051383996901_3305710811606941696_n.jpg

There's probably a setting in your receiver that needs to be adjusted.  For example, if you have your speakers set to Large, when you're listening to a source that doesn't have a dedicated .1 LFE channel your receiver won't output anything to your sub.

Does your sub work when you watch a movie or a source that plays in a surround sound format?

3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

There's probably a setting in your receiver that needs to be adjusted.  For example, if you have your speakers set to Large, when you're listening to a source that doesn't have a dedicated .1 LFE channel your receiver won't output anything to your sub.

Does your sub work when you watch a movie or a source that plays in a surround sound format?

Sadly no

No expert here but obvious to make sure the sub is 'on'.  How is it set up to turn on? Is it on all the time or on 'auto'. Auto is supposed to sense the signal from the avr and 'turn on' the sub from standby. I have a RSW-15 that sometimes does not sense the signal when I have it set on 'auto'. Hence I leave the sub 'on' full time.  It's a fairly old sub and the amp still works like a charm so I'm not sure if one way is better than the other or if it makes a sub amp decline quicker. But, especially at lower volumes, 'auto', on the amp of my sub, doesn't always work as intended.  This may not help, but it can't hurt. (I think)

So just to certain, you have a cable connected to the LFE or Subwoofer pre-out on your receiver?  And then to one or two of the RCA or LFE input(s) on your receiver?

Does your receiver have a menu to turn a subwoofer on or off?  Can you set your speakers to small or large in your receiver?  Are there different surround or stereo formats that it has that you can cycle through?

• Like 1

Just now, KlipschFish said:

No expert here but obvious to make sure the sub is 'on'.  How is it set up to turn on? Is it on all the time or on 'auto'. Auto is supposed to sense the signal from the avr and 'turn on' the sub from standby. I have a RSW-15 that sometimes does not sense the signal when I have it set on 'auto'. Hence I leave the sub 'on' full time.  It's a fairly old sub and the amp still works like a charm so I'm not sure if one way is better than the other or if it makes a sub amp decline quicker. But, especially at lower volumes, 'auto', on the amp of my sub, doesn't always work as intended.  This may not help, but it can't hurt. (I think)

Yes, im aware of this problem with klipsch subs. It was set to "On" throughout the testing of the sub. 

12 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

So just to certain, you have a cable connected to the LFE or Subwoofer pre-out on your receiver?  And then to one or two of the RCA or LFE input(s) on your receiver?

Does your receiver have a menu to turn a subwoofer on or off?  Can you set your speakers to small or large in your receiver?  Are there different surround or stereo formats that it has that you can cycle through?

Yes, I have the L&R line-in put into the sub and the single RCA in the sub pre out input on the receiver. I just found settings that can turn sub off. I will test check if it is on or not, an come back to this.

49753089_379504199451064_1541396348727721984_n.jpg

Edited by HenrikTJ
New information that changed my previous answer

Did you go into the set up menu on your receiver and turn on the subwoofer? In your system set up, you can set levels for your speakers and set suround modes. In both your system(s) A and B, (if you use a multi room set up) you can turn on or off your surround soeakers, subs etc. Go there and make sure your system setup has the sub parameter set to 'on'. This is seperate from the' large' or 'small' speaker adjustments.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KlipschFish said:

Did you go into the set up menu on your receiver and turn on the subwoofer? In your system set up, you can set levels for your speakers and set suround modes. In both your system(s) A and B, (if you use a multi room set up) you can turn on or off your surround soeakers, subs etc. Go there and make sure your system setup has the sub parameter set to 'on'. This is seperate from the' large' or 'small' speaker adjustments.

Yes, thanks. This was the problem and it is now solved.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, jerry semenchuk said:

i am looking at buying the klipsch 12 400 w active. i have a sony bd unit with wireless rear. my question is on the line in can these be hooked to my line out on my tv. cannot hook it to my db unit because it only has powered sub out and i have that line feeding a sony core 10..

Just use a y splitter.  Also, start a new thread if it is a different issue than this one is about.  👍

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Daman Deol said:

I have a denon receiver and i don’t know how to turn on my sub from it can u tell me what to do so my sub will work

Hi Daman

Not quite sure of what your problem is, but i'll try to cover all/most of the basis right now. 

If you want to be able to turn on your sub without physically leaning over behind your sub to switch it on, you'll have to have a sub that has its own controller, a corresponding app/software that lets you turn it on from your phone/pc, or have a sub that doesn't necessarily need to be set to "on" every time it needs to be used, but rather set to "auto" which means the sub activates when detecting a signal from the avr. It should be said that the leaving the "on" and "auto" setting on all the time is not advised as it is known to make subs emit a buzzing noice when active but not playing anything. If none of these features correlate to your sub, you will have to turn the sub on and off for every time you want to use it.

If what is written above did not help you, then what is written below might be your answer.

There are certain things I'd recommend you check before maybe having to use money to fix your problem. Underneath you'll see a list that you can check off in its respective order. 

1. Is your sub getting power? Most subs and all klipsch subs have an indicator-lamp on the front of it and will be green when getting power.

2. There is usually a gain-knob and a frequency-knob on the back of the sub. Neither of these should be set to zero. 

3. (Have your sub on and a cable plugged into it) The other end of the cable which should be plugged into the avr, hold it in your hand and try to lightly tap the end of the cable with your thumb. (If you hear any buzzing noice emitting from the sub, than thats a good thing. Means that the internal amp works and all the wires within the cabinet are connected as they should)

4. Check your avr settings and see if subwoofer is turned off.

5. Try to play something (If it still doesn't play, its either the cable connecting sub and avr, or its the avr itself...)

Good luck! and don't hesitate to ask for more!