Chili and Klipsch

Mallette

@Mallette 

That place I mentioned is called Lupies, great burgers about 2# each, background music that would please the most discerning rock-folk-country 60s-80s eccentric!

Top40 wasn't played there. Had the TX version there and other places with the meat, peppers, garlic and some onion probably the stuff you mentioned the best was in Orlando somewhere.

What I pictured above my mom called it chili-con-carne, and fed it to us. Mine isn't mild though, used the cayenne instead of j a p s this time. Fine ground corn meal with lime....... sounds nice!

Yes mine just bubbles down think the bean stuff helps it get thick. Use a little corn starch in creole dinners.

7 minutes ago, Mallette said:

chili con carne is the formal name...and simply means chilis with meat. Hence, the purist approach to adding much beyond chilis and meat. 

Dave

Cool, folks get serious about corn meal or flour, heavy S&P or not for their fried catfish around here not to mention the fried chicken disagreements!

Well, when others are doing the cooking I say "Thank you very much..." eat it and shut up. Even badly fried catfish... But I am MUCH more rigid about  catfish than chili. Same for shrimp, oysters, most American fish where I want cornmeal.  Exception is proper British battering for fish and chips. Certainly good with that with a fine malt vinegar!

Dave

I'm no stranger to making " traditional " chili , with or without beans . But chili verde is my favorite .

Roasted poblano , jalapeño and serrano peppers seeded and about to go for a spin .

P1000437.jpg

And roasted tomatillos , garlic and cilantro after a spin .

P1000440.jpg

Combine and add ground pork , onions and cumin .

This is one of my staples in the fridge and is great as a slow cooking sauce for pork rib meat minus the ground pork .

P1000445.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sunburnwilly said:

I'm no stranger to making " traditional " chili , with or without beans . But chili verde is my favorite .

Roasted poblano , jalapeño and serrano peppers seeded and about to go for a spin .

P1000437.jpg

And roasted tomatillos , garlic and cilantro after a spin .

P1000440.jpg

Combine and add ground pork , onions and cumin .

This is one of my staples in the fridge and is great as a slow cooking sauce for pork rib meat minus the ground pork .

P1000445.jpg

STELLAR

• Like 1

Thanks Billy but let me show you STELLAR

Large burger with 3 slices of pepper jack cheese on a bed of cheese fries and drizzle of sriracha .

IMG_4060.jpg

Top with aforementioned chili verde .

IMG_4061.jpg

And then , because you need a healthy component smother with chopped tomato cucumber and onion salad !

IMG_4064.jpg

The Open Faced Slopper !

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sunburnwilly said:

Thanks Billy but let me show you STELLAR

Large burger with 3 slices of pepper jack cheese on a bed of cheese fries and drizzle of sriracha .

IMG_4060.jpg

Top with aforementioned chili verde .

IMG_4061.jpg

And then , because you need a healthy component smother with chopped tomato cucumber and onion salad !

IMG_4064.jpg

The Open Faced Slopper !

I just showed this to Lynne. She wants your address. I'm not giving it to her... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Well, when others are doing the cooking I say "Thank you very much..." eat it and shut up. Even badly fried catfish... But I am MUCH more rigid about  catfish than chili. Same for shrimp, oysters, most American fish where I want cornmeal.  Exception is proper British battering for fish and chips. Certainly good with that with a fine malt vinegar!

Dave

I'd be interested in Chili and shrimp more than catfish and oysters....this thread has been interesting. 

2 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

But chili verde is my favorite .

That looks great. I am a chili verde fan as well, but make mine with Hatch green chilis, serranos for a bit of heat and extra flavor. Stew beef or pork depending on what's around, and potatoes. 

Dave

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Can I tag along?

Nothing "virtual" about my Forum friends...never had anything but a good time with them over the years. My idea of advance notice is a knock on the door...but just let me know and all are welcome here to listen, stay, or whatever. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, what to do with the last of the chili? Enchilada time! Cheese and onion with the last of the batch on top. But then you have no chili! Time to make more...

Different, purist approach this time. No tomatoes in the room. This is half New Mexico chilies and half Mexican arbol. Stewed together until the liquid is just enough to make a spaghetti sauce consistency when liquefied in a blender. That was then extracted through the centrifugal juicer to get the pure chili base. Onions, garlic, comino and meat ground with my grandmother's Keystone 20 hand grinder with the coarsest blade...1/3 pork, 2/3 round steak. Simmered an hour or two after browning, then left out overnight to "tighten" outside. Took the grease off this morning and added about a cup of water with four spoons of masa. Simmered 30 minutes and the house smells divine! Looking forward to supper. Cooked a pot of pintos last night and had a bowl for supper. Chili by itself tonight, then probably with some beans on Saturday for variety. 

Dave

_IMG6098.JPG

_IMG6265.JPG

_IMG6264.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 1/13/2019 at 5:54 PM, Mallette said:

Same for shrimp, oysters, most American fish where I want cornmeal.  Exception is proper British battering for fish and chips. Certainly good with that with a fine malt vinegar!

Yes, cornmeal is the best to me. There used to be a guy a mile from here that would grow his own corn dry it and grind it to whatever consistency you want with an old fashioned stone, from flour to very course, we would usually have at least 3 different textures, it was really good. He also had a Blacksmith shop and a sawmill which was very handy to have local, he learned it all from his late dad.  He kind of went off the deep end and I stopped going over there, don't know if he is still around? 

Fish and Chips with a good malt vinegar, I love that stuff, you now reminded me I have not had that in a very long time, always liked it. 

• Like 1

Ha!  You guys are killing me with all of this chili, non-chili, sloppers, and whatever else that's been posted here.  I'll be taking succinct notes in Hope, I hope!  Only thing I've got going for me, besides a craving for this, is the fact I did notice @Mallette had a photo darkroom timer sitting there in one of the pics!  THAT I have!  lolol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Only thing I've got going for me, besides a craving for this, is the fact I did notice @Mallette had a photo darkroom timer sitting there in one of the pics!  THAT I have!  lolol

Been in my kitchens for 40 years and will likely be in my sons as long. Only think I've ever had I could hear over my Klipschorns. Necessity for a hornhead, donchaknow...

Dave

• Haha 1