Eyes To Look At Car For Me

Tarheel

Davis is a car guy.....maybe?

@Davis

32 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

I'm looking on line at a car in Layfayette, Indiana and was wondering if we have a member in the area that can look at it for me.  I'm a stickler for any flaws so I need someone with good vision.  It's a BMW Z4. 

If you can stop by let me know.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rplace said:

I'll sell you mine. Super low mileage. Triple black. 3.0. right up 95 in Maryland. Garage kept

Which one is yours?  215 hp or 255? I have a 3.0 si but looking at a sdrive35i......the twin turbo car.  Mine has 255hp and the 35i has 300hp.   I really wanted 6 speed but this is automatic like mine.

12 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Which one is yours?  215 hp or 255? I have a 3.0 si but looking at a sdrive35i......the twin turbo car.  Mine has 255hp and the 35i has 300hp.   I really wanted 6 speed but this is automatic like mine.

255 sport package just about every option except M seats. Wife found them too firm. Sadly an automatic. I had a 2.5L Z3 that was a blast. Went with the 3L on the Z4. It is almost too fast as a daily driver. I routinely look down and I'm going 70-75 in a 45 if no one ahead of me on rural roads. 

Just got a new starter yesterday $600. What happened to $59 for a small block Chevy? Other than maintenance....and tires 2-3 times I don't think I've put much into it but gas.

Wife is 7 miles from work three times a week. Its got just 88k miles and will turn 14 years old in March. Pretty fun, but getting harder to get in and out of.....still nothing beats a drop top on a sunny day

• Like 1

Public service announcement: if you've ever owned a BMW (especially the higher performance ones), the price you pay to purchase it will be the least of your worries . 

After many years of trying to convince myself that it was worth it , I've realized it just isn't .

Just saying... To each his own 

• Thanks 1

Owned an 06 330i, loved it, the handling and power were perfect.  The plastic  water pump went out, dealer wanted $1100 to fix it.   Ended up buying one online for just under $100 and a friend helped me put it in, took about 2 hours.   Sold it not long after that, just too scared of what might be next that I couldn't fix myself.

• Thanks 1

=== one of my bike riding buds, an ex-BMW factory rep, said he would Never own one without it being covered by a comprehensive warranty. 

Full disclosure - I’ve owned 7-8 BMW cars, all older vintage when build/reliability seemed much greater and loved them all. Owned 5-6 BMW bikes, still two in the garage. I have had little to no issues with any of them while the internet describes them as extremely high in maintenance costs. I think a lot has to do with how hard you pound on them and I don’t —

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zobsky said:

Public service announcement: if you've ever owned a BMW (especially the higher performance ones), the price you pay to purchase it will be the least of your worries . 

After many years of trying to convince myself that it was worth it , I've realized it just isn't .

Just saying... To each his own 

Agree completely with the first part.  Whether it is ultimately worth it is up to each individual.  

While in college, I worked at Williams Volkswagen, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, BMW & Subaru.  The maintenance costs for BMWs and Porsche’s can be excessive.

My, single at the time, sister drove a BMW Bavaria.  It’s triple carbs were a constant headache.  After replacing several “cheap” but expensive washer pumps, I persuaded her to replace the Bavaria with a Scirocco; much more reliable and reasonable to repair.

Porsches are also expensive to own.  Customers would ask if a used 911 for $X is a good deal.  My standard reply was only if your budget is at least $1.5X, if not $2X.  You don’t own used Porsches (or BMWs), you subscribe to them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...