LED floodlight

dtel

• Moderators

Just wanted to say if anyone has been looking at LED floodlights I tried one from Ebay and it works great. It replaced a 500w Quartz which died, and it looks like it puts out the same amount of light as the old 500w or more but it is 100w and waterproof.

The new light is whiter and seems to cover a wider area, they were $50 for 3 separate lights each one had a plug on it, just cut it off if direct wiring is needed. 

Just put one up today and tried it after it got dark, it does better than I expected, how long it will last I have no idea ? I looked at many different lights and the price really varies alot so I thought I would post this since these were on the lower end of what they cost.   No street lights here and completely dark so this is from one light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-100W-LED-Flood-Light-With-US-PLUG-Cool-White-Outdoor-Spotlight-Garden-Lamp/323484777846?epid=11018437040&hash=item4b5131fd76:g:5jYAAOSwjXBbt~oq

A pic of the brightness and color, an Ipad was used so not a great pic. It is mounted about 14' up on the house and the cars are about 20' away.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

A 100w LED floodlight is a hoss. Looks like plenty of light from just the one to see around the cars. Think if you built a light pole 20' tall and a 3' ring at the top. On the ring you mounted 6 of those. That's 72,000 lumens of light. You wouldn't want to leave it on all the time at 600w consumption but it would be almost daylight out there when you wanted it.  The poles in the photo are the basic idea. Those look to be really tall and double rings.  

image.thumb.png.e01a1452c9af01fae1533e815bd10d48.png

They replaced a bunch of canopy lights at work.  2 of them had LEDs and I took the guts out of them and brought them home.  They'll screw into a conventional light socket but have a separate power supply.  I have no idea of the wattage but it's like looking into the sun when you turn them on.  I need to get some sort of diffuser to actually use them.  Heres,a picture of where I'm at on my garage remodel and one of them.  Next Friday I have the spray in insulation scheduled. 

20181226_193003.jpg

• Moderators

That looks like about the same amount of led chips, the problem I have is there are different types of chips for me to know the differences. When looking at lights the price has a wide range. 

I put one on the front of the house thinking if I needed the other 2 it would still be less electricity than the old light. But It looks like one will work so I have 2 extra for somewhere else, I was wanting one left over to be used like you use that one, just a general light for working on things.

6 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Think if you built a light pole 20' tall and a 3' ring at the top.

That would light up a big area, it was really just a light to light up where you park, there are 2 fixtures with small led bulbs out there already which come on automatically at night. It was just for when more light was needed and rarely gets used, probably why the old Quartz lasted 20 years, but there was no reason to not replace it with LED.

I only posted because of the big difference in LED floodlights and what one would really do, I had no experience with them. We use LED's in many other places but it's always been much lower watts, just incandescent replacements.

• Like 1

I got one of these monsters

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Lighting/2354-20

With our dogs now getting to be senior citizens, we take them out on a leash at night, in spite of living at the end of the world.  Coyote's and the dog getting lost are two bad results that we try to control.

So I bought this so I could get away from the little headlamp I used.

All I can say is "OMG" it's a monster.  I use it on full flood/spot to keep dog in circle (flood) but still allow me to gaze WAY down the field, literally as far as I can see AND it will still light up a tree on the far, far far FAR side of the field.

Oh, and I used it the other day when I was working under the sink!

If you already have the batteries for this as I did, then it gets a triple :emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21: from me.

Search Light.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davis said:

I don't design the actual light fixture but the application of the light fixture in a given space or area.

What you were doing is an electrician work.

When I remodeled my bathroom and figuring out the garage I could have used a hand figuring how much light and what type to use. 
As it was I took my best guess and installed a little more than I thought I'd need.  Once that was done I wired to what I bought.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, whatever55 said:

dtel,

picked 3 ... hooked one up with a remote, works great puts out a lot of light.

Thanks

Glad you like it, it does better than I expected.

I thought most people do not have a lot of experience with LED's as far as what is the LED equivalent of older bulbs, I don't and just guessed after reading.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

When I remodeled my bathroom and figuring out the garage I could have used a hand figuring how much light and what type to use. 
As it was I took my best guess and installed a little more than I thought I'd need.  Once that was done I wired to what I bought.

Like Carl said I just had to guess also, you can estimate what's needed but your never sure about coverage width and how bright they will actually look compared to older lights, I just tried one and got lucky. I never did anything with the other two yet, may mount one somewhere and save the last one as a work light.

6 hours ago, Davis said:

I don't design the actual light fixture but the application of the light fixture in a given space or area.

What you were doing is an electrician work.

I am adding several can lights and replacing many several can lights with new air tight cans.  Using LED type BR30 bulbs.  I feel like I am adding old technology and that some sort of affordable surface mount LED is right around the corner, but I want this done, the ceiling sealed up and R60 in the attic before the summer heat comes.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I am adding several can lights and replacing many several can lights with new air tight cans.  Using LED type BR30 bulbs.  I feel like I am adding old technology and that some sort of affordable surface mount LED is right around the corner, but I want this done, the ceiling sealed up and R60 in the attic before the summer heat comes.

In the living room we did the same thing, dimmable BR 30 bulbs, the 5 bulbs use less than one of the old ones. But then I was helping my daughter and son in law redo their kitchen and he bought these, you wire the supplied pigtail right to standard wires and that just plugs into the light that just slips right into the recessed can, they work great and are very bright. He had a couple extras so I used one in a shower that was kind of dark, works great. It has the outer ring attached so it looks much more finished, just plug into the pigtail and slide it into the can.

https://www.warehouse-lighting.com/4-in-retrofit-led-downlight-13w-watt-120v-75w-comparable-35748.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItqPynZT23wIVllcNCh1U1wsWEAYYASABEgImq_D_BwE

this is not the exact ones he bought but the same design

DLC4-1050e_web-menu.jpg

• On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, dtel said:

pic of the brightness and color, an Ipad was used so not a great pic. It is mounted about 14' up on the house and the cars are about 20' away.

No good enough pic for me. Looks like a decent enough setup. Will tell or show bro as he is into lighting in the dark for his concerns. Me, I just let a rambler wander around in the dark, and use boobies, of varying degrees. If not auto or photo eye could introduce one inline, suppose. Anyway, thanks...for some light on the subject...

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, billybob said:

No good enough pic for me

I have been lazy lately with pics, if I use the camera I have to put it on the computer and shrink it by 80% to post. So being lazy I post on the computer and use the I-pad for the pic then just edit the post and add the pic, much easier when you want to be lazy, or you don't need a really good pic.

I thought about a motion sensor, they sell them like that also but I figured being up that high it probably wouldn't work as you pull up being that far away. But instead when you walk up then it would come on, I would like it to come on as someone is pulling up. Like you said it could be added inline at a different place, but after thinking about it no one really pulls up, it's just to walk out to the car. And mostly for my wife, she would just pass out dead if she walked up on a snake.

Plus not much exciting to take a picture of looking at the driveway, at night. :lol: To see what it looks like without the light on just close your eyes. :huh:

But your way does sound like more fun, you sold me at boobies.

LoLol...I hear you. No, I get it. Although almost sure there are no snakes available there, remember that you have a scattergun ready for those darned ducks. Still laugh at times here. No, whatever it takes to make Christy feel safe about that. Hope you and your wife have a lovely time at Hope and, remember your kindness/understanding. Yes, got to watch out for the Nightcrawlers about, almost everywhere, anymore...

• Moderators

No snakes this time of the year, well moving around at least. But in the summer I usually catch or run off one at least once a month on the porch, I usually don't tell her.

If there is any way for you to make it just let me know.