What to do with this... Type AA Xover?

HPower

6 hours ago, Budman said:

if it were me i'd ORDER UP a set of Dean's AA's with Jupiters      which i just did

Talking to Dean (as of earlier this week, he is currently in the build game), he gave me some great suggestions on what

to use if I wanted to build some AA Xovers myself.

I would like to do a DIY crossover, mostly just to say I did, but also to save a bit in the process.

• Like 2

@geoff.

🇨🇦

Thanks so much for the kind offer, I may take you up on that!

It maybe a while before I am at that stage with the LSs, I really need to complete the FH-1 / K510s first.

The La Scalas are serving a purpose by playing some music  🎼 in the garage while working on the above project.

5 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

The last veneer project you did looked really good.

Thanks, the Tigerwood Jub-Likes did turn out really nice!

I should not have let them go, but I think Claude is enjoying both their sound and looks.

The Peavey project has some nice flat cut Walnut on top of  the 1/2 in BB that I laminated to the outsides of the bass bins.

Here is a shot of how they will look, not oiled yet, just applied some Monocoat "Cleaner" to get an idea of the appearance when oiled.

Once done and I am digging the Walnut, I way follow suit with the LSs.

IMG_0935.thumb.JPG.dfe7d1d95635c40b8bb44c4e4534a446.JPGIMG_0933.thumb.JPG.4af9166f7a33c39c76e29e74cadee271.JPG

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

@Deang    I'm not trying to ruffle feathers but I don't think that is quite right.

I don't presume to Know the ins and outs of Dean's life, but my observations across FB and the forum have been that he did in fact wind things down with the intent of closing up shop, but that life circumstances have halted that process and caused him to reverse course.

• Like 1

I had planned on taking a break. I was thinking about maybe stopping, but there is too much going on to do that. Thing is, I don’t remember mentioning any this on the forum. 

The AA sounds better to me than the A, especially with the de-120, that runs just a wee bit hot. I think the AA images better, and sounds cleaner at higher SPLs.

So, why didn’t PWK drop the crossover point to 4.5kHz? He had almost 50 years to think about that one. 

20 minutes ago, Deang said:

So, why didn’t PWK drop the crossover point to 4.5kHz? He had almost 50 years to think about that one. 

I wonder about those things also when the new "cool kids" mention scientific approach as the be all end all to a purely emotional endeavor. 

I mean, repeatability is cool and all... but...

If the midrange is flat enough I would rather have a single driver carry more of the mids than splitting it lower. But the lower crossover probably affects the polars. Of couse the two horns are part of that equation.

11 hours ago, Deang said:

I had planned on taking a break. I was thinking about maybe stopping, but there is too much going on to do that. Thing is, I don’t remember mentioning any this on the forum. 

The AA sounds better to me than the A, especially with the de-120, that runs just a wee bit hot. I think the AA images better, and sounds cleaner at higher SPLs.

Pretty sure PWK couldn't drop the crossover to 4.5kHz as long as he wanted to use the K77. Judging by the number of speakers he put the K77 in, I assume he liked that driver.

But I really don't know, I wasn't there. Now that they are using a different HF driver in the LSII they dropped the x over to 4500.

But, I'm sure you know all this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deang said:

The AA sounds better to me than the A, especially with the de-120, that runs just a wee bit hot. I think the AA images better, and sounds cleaner at higher SPL

That was probably the first thing I noticed when switching from AA to A networks while running the 120 tweets. I've grown accustomed to the sound now and certainly don't hate it, it's just different.

I built all new AA's for my Belle clones with all new parts...autoformers, coils, barrier strips, and Audyn caps. Dean mentioned in the thread I needed to change those red ones out. ;) They still aren't broken in yet as the Belle's have been in storage since last March while we were building our new house. Hoping we'll be in by March. But they did sound noticeably better/different than with the other original AA's I rebuilt with some Russian PIO new old stock caps. May have to try those again.

20180217_121139-800x623.jpg.7a999df6f7c0b5ded5f5ab3b4e5bdb5f.jpg

avguytx...

Reading your great Belle build thread is what got me thinking about building my own Xovers.

I have built a pretty decent pair of 4Pie crossovers, but they where built on a printed board, easy to follow the bouncing ball.

Pie4_X.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Khornukopia,

The toughest part about doing a good "looking" veneer project is planning the layout.

It is always a give and take to get things matching nicely and not wasting to much "precious" veneer...

I usually have too much waste. 😂

12 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Pretty sure PWK couldn't drop the crossover to 4.5kHz as long as he wanted to use the K77. Judging by the number of speakers he put the K77 in, I assume he liked that driver.

Apparently, there were two ways to safely drop the crossover to 4.5K.  Using a different tweeter, or using a much steeper crossover slope.  The Klipschorns, for instance, kept using the K77 until just now (late 2018), but in 2002, dropped the crossover to 4.5K, with a 36 dB per octave high pass to the K77F, instead of the old 6 dB per octave slope. 

I installed the stock AK4 Klipschorn upgrade kit, plus other changes Klipsch made, in 2005.  The Klipsch upgrade uses the steep crossover and the K77F.  It sounds great, a bit better than my 1982 Klipschorn, before the upgrade.   When played at a very loud levels (for both music and movies) I don't hear the tweeter straining, and they have survived 14 years of such treatment, probably with 105 dB general peaks (but the SPL above 4.5K would be more like 87 dB -- or less than 0.25 watt at the 13 foot distance to the MLP in our room),  because music has the frequency/SPL characteristics it has.   The K77F can be described as about a 1 or 2 watt power handling tweeter.  It can take about 4 watt pulses, or, if you believe it, up to 10 watts for very, very, very brief peaks, depending on how many milliseconds we are talking about.

It would be difficult to say why the upgrade sounds a bit better than the originals.  All of the changes that happened over the 23 years between my original Khorn purchase and the upgrade were modest.  They are:  the new deep slope Xover, the newer iteration of the K77, moving from round magnet to square magnet, and made by different suppliers, but still tested and selected by Klipsch (a few of the early K77Fs may not have been good, but sometime before 2004, "they finally got it right," according to a Klipsch engineer I talked with), the tweeter was now front mounted with a "Z thing" which I used, eliminating the possible diffraction due to being rear mounted, and the K400 midrange horn was replaced with the K401.

• 1 month later...

Now that I have my FH-1 / K510s up and playing music I have turned my attention back to the La Scalas.

They are currently playing in the TV room with a Heresy HIP as the centre speaker.

The AL Xover is working but I am getting ready to source out the parts to build a pair of Type AAs, I was thinking about having

Dean build a pair for me but I think he is pretty busy right now.

I just came across a pair of used Duelund 100v VSF-Cast/Pio-cu 12 uF caps that I am thinking about for the AAs.

Does anybody have any experience with these caps?

They are large (a bit over 6in in diameter) and if I go this route, it will necessitate an outboard crossover as I doubt  

the Xover will fit under the hood once joined with the rest of the components.

I would also need to figure out how to tie these caps onto the Xover board?

Duelunds.jpg

Are you “Tom”?

If so, I’m sorry I blew you off in the email - but I get so many asking for help, and most don’t have a clue as to what they are doing. I typically don’t support DIY efforts off-forum - I just don’t have the time. 

As of right now, I’m all caught up. Just have a pair of CornScala networks to recap - but the networks aren’t here yet.

How to mount those? Hmmm. Let me think about that for a bit ...