Purchasing Chorus ii or Cornwall ii???

mikefarmbarn

I need a little help. I've been lurking around the forums and doing as much studying as possible. I'm torn with this decision but know in the end I'll have a great set of speakers.

I've found a set of super clean pair of Chorus ii and Cornwall ii within driving range (both are 9.5 out of 10) both are listed at $1000. The Chorus was made in 1990 in brown oak. The Cornwall was made in 1989 in Birch. I like to listen to all types of music - mostly rock, blues, jazz with a little hip-hop and current pop. I listen for long periods of time so I don't want them to be fatiguing. I enjoy feeling bass and like hearing the music without being annoyed with over-pronounced highs. 

I'm currently running a Sansui AU919 and JBL L100s - the 100s soundstage doesn't fill my 20'x40' room + 10' ceilings + wood floors and at louder levels they become unbalanced. I plan to keep my amp for now but will purchase a new amp in the future to pair with speakers.

I've attached a sketch of the room with red rectangles where the speakers will be placed.

Thanks for all your help. Torn over here.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 4.29.23 PM.png

Edited by mikefarmbarn
  • Like 1

Welcome 

" I plan to keep my amp for now but will purchase a new amp in the future to pair with speakers." 

What might that amp be?   I would guess that you will be getting an overwhelming response in favor of chorus II. Haven't owned the Cornwall II so I can't compare, but I wasn't super impressed with the chorus II in my ROOM (I preferred the chorus I) .   I preferred the Forte II in comparison.  If it were my $, I surely would like to try the Cornwall II as I was very satisfied with my Cornwall III.  I'll be odd man out on this one I'm sure. 

I own a few pairs of Chorus II's...... I would have to agree with Westcoastdrums...... due to your room size...Don't get me wrong I love my Chorus II's .....but I can't imagine how they would be in a room that size.....To be honest I would have to say Cornwall II's to get the most out of your room...the Sansui 919 should be a nice source with either......The best would be a set of Cornwall III's...because of the changes made to them .....I heard they are a lot like a set of Chorus II's on steroids.

George

1 minute ago, oldred said:

I own a few pairs of Chorus II's...... I would have to agree with Westcoastdrums...... due to your room size...Don't get me wrong I love my Chorus II's .....but I can't imagine how they would be in a room that size.....To be honest I would have to say Cornwall II's to get the most out of your room...the Sansui 919 should be a nice source with either......The best would be a set of Cornwall III's...because of the changes made to them .....I heard they are a lot like a set of Chorus II's on steroids.

George

Top to mid range, the Cornwall IIIs remind me a lot of what I like about heresys (same drivers albeit with elevated tweeter to ear positioning).   I have heard people claim "boxy and boomy" bass.   As I use solid state amps that have sold damping factor, I have not experienced this.   Perhaps with amps that tend to not exert great control over the bass, this could be an issue.   I liek the Cornwall IIIs so much, I am currently looking to trade back into a pair.   Everyone liek tubes amps and vinyl around here.  I use neither so my opinion varies considerably. 

Those are good deals on the Chorus and Cornwall’s. I like the Heritage sound so I’m pro Cornwall. However, that room with such nice corners really need Klipschorns.  A completely level above the Cornwalls. My opinion of course. Could be influenced by the Khorns I’m listening to now. Maybe..

cincy

• Like 1

The specs for your choices are so similar that either speaker will be fine. Being 10dB more efficient than your JBL's, you should enjoyably crap your pants at the difference.

Where I see either Klipsch falling short might be the "bass feel" you enjoy. You may be asking too much of even these speakers to fill such a large volume space with bass. But that could be overcome with a subwoofer. But that can be added at a later date.

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud, either set of speakers will eat up greater floor space than the other for different reasons.  The Chorii have rear-firing drones so need to be away from the wall some bit while the Cornwalls can go right up to the wall but have a larger footprint?

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Klipsch "nuts" forum. You'll get some good feedback here. :D 

Have about the same size room ... but in an "L" shape.  Used to have Cornwall I's up front and they did "fill the whole space," only loosing some base farther away.  Neighbor has a slightly smaller room with Chorus II's ... does not seem to match the CW's ... "tiny" in comparison (but not a "real" A/B test).

As some mentioned before, Khorns might be a better option ... but I would suggest "bypassing" those and going for Pro speakers instead.  I have KPT-904's with K-510 horns; different league; now using the CW's as rear speakers.  Or go "all the way" with Jubes and K-402 horns! :D 

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... Don't even think of replacing your Sansui amp; one of the "real" vintage amps with 100W/ch, it'll cost you many $ thousands to get something better ... wish I had one of those ... using Marantz/Yamaha's to drive my 904's and CW's :) 

• Like 1

One more thought :D  Get them BOTH :)  Use the CW's up front and the Chorus in the kitchen or rear room.  Use a "cheap" amp like a vintage Yamaha 620/820 (about $150; 35-45W/ch) for the "back" speakers; reverse polarity.  You'll be in sound heaven. :D 

Cheers, Emile

Unfortunately the Cornwall iii's aren't an option bc of price. There's a nice pair of Khorns locally for $2400 that are in really nice shape but were a little out of my budget - maybe I should reconsider. How is the bass with the Khorns? 

I'm not overly concerned about filling the whole room with bass but I would like to have an even and bigger soundstage.

15 minutes ago, Emile said:

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Klipsch "nuts" forum. You'll get some good feedback here. :D 

Have about the same size room ... but in an "L" shape.  Used to have Cornwall I's up front and they did "fill the whole space," only loosing some base farther away.  Neighbor has a slightly smaller room with Chorus II's ... does not seem to match the CW's ... "tiny" in comparison (but not a "real" A/B test).

As some mentioned before, Khorns might be a better option ... but I would suggest "bypassing" those and going for Pro speakers instead.  I have KPT-904's with K-510 horns; different league; now using the CW's as rear speakers.  Or go "all the way" with Jubes and K-402 horns! :D 

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... Don't even think of replacing your Sansui amp; one of the "real" vintage amps with 100W/ch, it'll cost you many $ thousands to get something better ... wish I had one of those ... using Marantz/Yamaha's to drive my 904's and CW's :) 

That's great news about my amp - I was concerned that it would too bright.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikefarmbarn said:

That's great news about my amp - I was concerned that it would too bright.

Haha ... not familiar with the JBL L100's, but they seem to be a very good speaker :)  OK, I vote for CW's up front and use the JBL's  for surround/rear duty (WITH another amp!).

Just be aware that any Klipsch speaker will probably be "brighter" than these JBL's.  And, when you get the CW's or Chorus you will probably want to switch to Titanium diaphragms ... haha; even "brighter."

Good luck with your decision :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, mikefarmbarn said:

Unfortunately the Cornwall iii's aren't an option bc of price. There's a nice pair of Khorns locally for $2400 that are in really nice shape but were a little out of my budget - maybe I should reconsider. How is the bass with the Khorns? 

I'm not overly concerned about filling the whole room with bass but I would like to have an even and bigger soundstage.

The bass is hornloaded on Khorns so it is clean and lower distortion than the direct radiators of the Cornwall or Chorus 2.  It is an extreamly rare instance that someone prefers cornwalls over Khorns with corners like yours.  The vast majority will tell you that they are prefer the sound of the Khorns by a wide margin.

The cornwall was invented by PWK for people who didn't have corners like yours.

The pricing seems very good on the options you currently have available and you would be able to flip those when a pair of Khorns come along that are in your area.

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, mikefarmbarn said:

If you can get those now, you wont be disappointed.  In fact I will bet you will say that your whole perception of music has been changed forever.  They can handle all of your music genres with ease, at low levels, as well as roof shaking.

• Like 1

I'm sure there is a pair of LaScala with your name on them, just waiting for your call. They would also fill the room better.

Do you have the new version of the L100 that came out last year or originals? I have some 4311s, and know they just won't fill that large a space.

Welcome to the forums, btw. We can help you spend your money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1