Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
mikefarmbarn

Purchasing Chorus ii or Cornwall ii???

Recommended Posts

I figured the CW III's would be too much.......You think the same way I do .....I wanted to upgrade my Forte's to Forte III's but didn't want to spend the 3 grand.

What everybody here is saying is any one of your choices will out perform the JBL's......I am not ripping the JBL's....great speaker is a smaller room ....sitting close to them.

If the price is right ......you will always be able to resell and make most of your money back....if not all it.

 

George

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mikefarmbarn said:

Unfortunately the Cornwall iii's aren't an option bc of price. There's a nice pair of Khorns locally for $2400 that are in really nice shape but were a little out of my budget - maybe I should reconsider. How is the bass with the Khorns? 

I'm not overly concerned about filling the whole room with bass but I would like to have an even and bigger soundstage.

Buy the Khorns, quick....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had Cornwalls and rebuilt a pair of Chorus 1s for another member here and liked both very much. Chorus slightly more. I do think the LS would trump either by a wide margin. Bass not as low but very present and quick hard hitting as well as room filling. After seeing the size of your room, K horns are in order. In my opinion, light years ahead of Chorus or Cornwall. If the pair you are looking at for 2400 are decent, grab them. You wont be disappointed. If you want to change after that, they would hold the value easily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have any details on the Khorns like year, finish and crossovers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I'm sure there is a pair of LaScala with your name on them, just waiting for your call. They would also fill the room better.

 

Do you have the new version of the L100 that came out last year or originals? I have some 4311s, and know they just won't fill that large a space.

 

Welcome to the forums, btw. We can help you spend your money.

I have vintage L100s with no grilles. They're in great shape and have great sound. A great pair of vintage JBLs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marvel said:
21 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Do you have any details on the Khorns like year, finish and crossovers?

 

I waiting to hear back from the current owner. I have these pictures.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 8.20.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 8.20.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 8.20.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 8.20.44 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 4311s are basically the pro/studio version. The new L100s are $4k for a pair!  I love mine, bit they need a little bit of work, tweeter foams, etc.

 

Bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful khorns! Wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has owned cornwalls, cornscalas and forte IIIs, I can tell you that the klipschorns are what you want.

 

Shakey

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to the OP just in case you were not aware the Chorus was the Klipsch replacement for the Cornwall ll and then the Chorus ll was the next upgrade with a much better and larger hybrid Tractrix mid horn. The Chorus has a higher power handling cast basket pro woofer as opposed to the K33 used in the Cornwall LaScala and Khorn. If you want to use a small set amp the CW is the way to go but if you are prepared to use more power the Chorus is the better option.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moray james said:

to the OP just in case you were not aware the Chorus was the Klipsch replacement for the Cornwall ll and then the Chorus ll was the next upgrade with a much better and larger hybrid Tractrix mid horn. The Chorus has a higher power handling cast basket pro woofer as opposed to the K33 used in the Cornwall LaScala and Khorn. If you want to use a small set amp the CW is the way to go but if you are prepared to use more power the Chorus is the better option.

Thanks for the info. Are you saying to not to go Khorns?

 

About the amp and Chorus v. Corn - I’m willing to change amp in the future for the best sound. I wanted to start with the speakers first. So, if I’m hearing you right - your vote is start with Chorus ii and explore amp options??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mikefarmbarn said:

Thanks for the info. Are you saying to not to go Khorns?

 

About the amp and Chorus v. Corn - I’m willing to change amp in the future for the best sound. I wanted to start with the speakers first. So, if I’m hearing you right - your vote is start with Chorus ii and explore amp options???  

not sure what I said against the khorn? If you have the room the corners and you like a speaker with a head stock you cannot aim they are fine (in the right room set up that is not necessarily a problem). I just mentioned them because they are one of the Heritage which use the K33.

   If you want to stay with smaller amps especially small SET or SEP amps then the Cornwall or CWll is your best bet if you are interested in larger amps and higher levels then the the Chorus ll is your go to option. The Chorus like and respond very well to power. That said you can drive them on small amps and they can sound fine, give them a solid stable amp with a real supply and they can shatter what you thought they were capable of doing. The pro woofers they use can handle lots of power much more than a K33 was designed for a K33. I think that is what I said.

   If you go with a Chorus do yourself a favour and install some brace work into the cabinet yu won't regret the time and effort to do so. The rear baffle is especially flexible and at high level with the right material can vibrate on the back side of the mid driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moray james said:

not sure what I said against the khorn? If you have the room the corners and you like a speaker with a head stock you cannot aim they are fine (in the right room set up that is not necessarily a problem). I just mentioned them because they are one of the Heritage which use the K33.

   If you want to stay with smaller amps especially small SET or SEP amps then the Cornwall or CWll is your best bet if you are interested in larger amps and higher levels then the the Chorus ll is your go to option. The Chorus like and respond very well to power. That said you can drive them on small amps and they can sound fine, give them a solid stable amp with a real supply and they can shatter what you thought they were capable of doing. The pro woofers they use can handle lots of power much more than a K33 was designed for a K33. I think that is what I said.

   If you go with a Chorus do yourself a favour and install some brace work into the cabinet yu won't regret the time and effort to do so. The rear baffle is especially flexible and at high level with the right material can vibrate on the back side of the mid driver.

@moray james he posted a sketch of floor plan up in his orignal post, I think he has corners almost custome made for Khorns and then he indicated later on that  there were some Khorns available in his area, so his original post has evolved to:

 

What would you pick for this room?

 

Khorns, CW or Chorus II.

 

I already know what you are going to say when you look at his floor plan and speaker area.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mikefarmbarn said:

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 8.20.20 PM.png

Haha ... is going to look (and sound) awesome in your room :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

@moray james he posted a sketch of floor plan up in his orignal post, I think he has corners almost custome made for Khorns and then he indicated later on that  there were some Khorns available in his area, so his original post has evolved to:

 

What would you pick for this room?

 

Khorns, CW or Chorus II.

 

I already know what you are going to say when you look at his floor plan and speaker area.

 

 

Exactly. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

@moray james he posted a sketch of floor plan up in his orignal post, I think he has corners almost custome made for Khorns and then he indicated later on that  there were some Khorns available in his area, so his original post has evolved to:

 

What would you pick for this room?

 

Khorns, CW or Chorus II.

 

I already know what you are going to say when you look at his floor plan and speaker area.

 

 

Do u think the Sansui from my first post will power the Chorus ii good enoigh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mikefarmbarn said:

Do u think the Sansui from my first post will power the Chorus ii good enoigh?

yup

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 3:02 PM, mikefarmbarn said:

I need a little help. I've been lurking around the forums and doing as much studying as possible. I'm torn with this decision but know in the end I'll have a great set of speakers.

 

I've found a set of super clean pair of Chorus ii and Cornwall ii within driving range (both are 9.5 out of 10) both are listed at $1000. The Chorus was made in 1990 in brown oak. The Cornwall was made in 1989 in Birch. I like to listen to all types of music - mostly rock, blues, jazz with a little hip-hop and current pop. I listen for long periods of time so I don't want them to be fatiguing. I enjoy feeling bass and like hearing the music without being annoyed with over-pronounced highs. 

 

I'm currently running a Sansui AU919 and JBL L100s - the 100s soundstage doesn't fill my 20'x40' room + 10' ceilings + wood floors and at louder levels they become unbalanced. I plan to keep my amp for now but will purchase a new amp in the future to pair with speakers.

 

I've attached a sketch of the room with red rectangles where the speakers will be placed.

 

Thanks for all your help. Torn over here.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 4.29.23 PM.png

 

Hello!

 

I had a set of Chorus II in a room size similar to yours but not quite as deep. 24 x 24 with a 16 foot vaulted ceiling. They did very nice and will probably sound real good with your Sansui. I now have some Klipschorns in the same spot and they are definitely a notch (or two) up. The bass, presence, and dynamics are superior to the Chorus II in my opinion. The horns are physically higher off the floor and it makes a difference in filling a large space Plus you will have more amplifier flexibility with the Klipschorns - from SS to low power tube. Chorus tend to like more power. I have tried several amplifiers with my Klipschorns and they all sound good :)

 

Having had both I would get the Klipschorns in a minute if you have the budget, I don't think you will be sorry. Hope that helps.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...