Critique this 2A3...

Schu

I might take a flyer on these 2a3 mono amps... Critique them for me. Parts seem bargan basement.

amps use 2pcs 2A3 power tube ( push pull),1pc EF86 ( in triode connection),1pc ECC82 +1pc GZ32 rectifier.gives out up to 15W output (@ 0.6% THD)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I would like more info too.

Maynard, can you tell from the pics if those are parallel or PP?

@joessportster    Have you inside the Dennis Had Inspire amps? Everyone says the are very quiet but they look like a bowl of spaghetti to me.

Bruce

No not seen inside inspire, I was referring to layout meaning having the tubes between the transformers not how the wiring was done that actually looks nice and neat.  On most decent amps you dont find power tubes parked between transformers. As power supplies are routinely called a source of noise I (admittedly) assume these have a higher chance of being noisy especially on high efficiency speakers.

I certainly bow to Maynards expertise :emotion-21:

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I would like more info too.

Maynard, can you tell from the pics if those are parallel or PP?

@joessportster    Have you inside the Dennis Had Inspire amps? Everyone says the are very quiet but they look like a bowl of spaghetti to me.

Bruce

=== I make more noise slurping spaghetti than my Inspire ever thought of making. Quiet as a church mouse —. But alas, pretty much sits idle these days —

6 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

The layout looks fine.  There is nothing wrong with the Sprague electrolytic cap.  Lots more info is needed in order to advise you.  

Maynard

Any recommendations on a 2a3?

I have to agree with Maynard 🤔 not enough information. The picture shows no sign of low quality to me. The thing that bugs me is if you study the position of the tubes in the top picture to the sockets in under the chassis photo I don't believe the pictures are of same amp.

47 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

I have to agree with Maynard 🤔 not enough information. The picture shows no sign of low quality to me. The thing that bugs me is if you study the position of the tubes in the top picture to the sockets in under the chassis photo I don't believe the pictures are of same amp.

Good eyes!

Chassis looks like it could be a landfall.

4 hours ago, NOSValves said:

The thing that bugs me is if you study the position of the tubes in the top picture to the sockets in under the chassis photo I don't believe the pictures are of same amp. 

Definitely different pics...

11 hours ago, ToolShedAmps said:

Check this out.... no tube sockets sandwiched between transformers.... :)

also, new development, now available with Magnequest output transformers.....IMG_2290.thumb.JPG.ebe7ad5a9c5faa4da4e5e9644bfc3920.JPG

Nice, can't wait to see more. My Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps use Magnequest trannies. Really good for the bottom end.

Bruce

20170923_110512.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Nice, can't wait to see more. My Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps use Magnequest trannies. Really good for the bottom end.

Bruce

20170923_110512.jpg

Wow! NICE, GZ37's! Give my friend George a call @ www.tubesusa.com/ELtubes.html for a pair of EML Mesh-2a3's :) 

13 hours ago, ToolShedAmps said:

Check this out.... no tube sockets sandwiched between transformers.... :)

also, new development, now available with Magnequest output transformers.....IMG_2290.thumb.JPG.ebe7ad5a9c5faa4da4e5e9644bfc3920.JPG

Mike is a true artisan when it comes to winding transformers. I've dealt with him a number of times off and on for almost 20 years now. He always delivers top quality! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NOSValves said:

Mike is a true artisan when it comes to winding transformers. I've dealt with him a number of times off and on for almost 20 years now. He always delivers top quality! 

Agreed! His build-quality is second to none, I've got a couple pair to get started.... :) Check this out, solid brass channel frames! Absolutely massive!IMG_2440.thumb.JPG.2688b725b5350684d7060f5e9172c804.JPG

I'm so excited and feel honored to be given the opportunity to use his transformers in my Euphoria 2a3/45 amplifier. :) 

• Like 1