Critique this 2A3...

Schu

On 1/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, rplace said:

Gimme the price no option must have and a down to earth options.

I'm good for the down to earth end... I can't afford high end.

I have some Electro-Harmonix 2A3 EH Gold that work very well in my Moondogs. When I bought thiese amps they came with a pair of Sovteks and the EH. Had these for about 10 years I think and haven't replaced them yet. The EH are definitely better than the Sovteks, at least in my amps.

@ToolShedAmps   Matt, the EML looks great but is, unfortunately, way past my budget. I was able to hear a pair of the new WE 300B tubes in a new WE amp with SS rectifier and printed circuit design.

I felt like my amps with the EH 2A3s sounded as good, but the listening environment wasn't as good as my own living room. I'm sure the higher priced tubes can bring something to the table but I have my limits. 🙄 Except I am looking for another pair of GZ37s, realizing that might hurt a lot.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I have some Electro-Harmonix 2A3 EH Gold that work very well in my Moondogs. When I bought thiese amps they came with a pair of Sovteks and the EH. Had these for about 10 years I think and haven't replaced them yet. The EH are definitely better than the Sovteks, at least in my amps.

@ToolShedAmps   Matt, the EML looks great but is, unfortunately, way past my budget. I was able to hear a pair of the new WE 300B tubes in a new WE amp with SS rectifier and printed circuit design.

I felt like my amps with the EH 2A3s sounded as good, but the listening environment wasn't as good as my own living room. I'm sure the higher priced tubes can bring something to the table but I have my limits. 🙄 Except I am looking for another pair of GZ37s, realizing that might hurt a lot.

Bruce

Yep, the GZ37's are going for over $100 each now, luckily decent 5U4g's are still to be had for half that. You might want to try the JJ 2a3/40's when budget allows, they are very well made and sound very nice. :)

Matt.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 10:07 PM, Schu said:

I want to try an 2a3... not sure I want to spend 4000-5000$ on my first unit. You build exquisite pieces matt, that would be all end all amp... I want to get my feet wet.

There is a Dennis Had 2A3 Inspire for sale asking $1375. No, I'm not the seller. I'd pass on the amp you posted. https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9bb2i-inspire-by-dennis-had-2a3-fire-bottle-tube?refsource=hifishark

On 1/16/2019 at 10:24 AM, Marvel said:

Bruce

Why do you need another pair? They should last a very long time. Can you have them tested?

@Les Lammers   Just to have as spares. I'm the fourth owner of these and I believe the GZ37s started with the original owner/builder. they may have been in something else before that...

I would like to get a full set of all tubes, just to have as backup. I've had these for around ten years, and they are amps that I really don't think I will ever sell. They will go to family if they go anywhere.

I've thought of making a new set of the Moondogs. I think I could still get the Magnequest transformers.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

@Les Lammers   Just to have as spares. I'm the fourth owner of these and I believe the GZ37s started with the original owner/builder. they may have been in something else before that...

I would like to get a full set of all tubes, just to have as backup. I've had these for around ten years, and they are amps that I really don't think I will ever sell. They will go to family if they go anywhere.

I've thought of making a new set of the Moondogs. I think I could still get the Magnequest transformers.

Bruce

Upscale has these: https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/rectifier-tubes/products/mullard-gz33-cv5745 I ran them in Welborne Laurels and will beef up the bottom end. They would be fine in your Moondogs. Here is a link to the assembly manual.https://www.scribd.com/document/309790909/Welborne-Labs-Moondog-2a3-amplifier-build-instructions  I believe you can also use GZ34 and 5U4G rectifiers.

Edited by Les Lammers

I have the assembly manual... I bought a pdf copy from RW before he disappeared. While you can find them on the internet, this isn't a scan, etc. I felt it was worth the $10 I paid for it.

Thanks for the other link, though.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:41 PM, Schu said:

I might take a flyer on these 2a3 mono amps... Critique them for me. Parts seem bargan basement.

amps use 2pcs 2A3 power tube ( push pull),1pc EF86 ( in triode connection),1pc ECC82 +1pc GZ32 rectifier.gives out up to 15W output (@ 0.6% THD)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Russian K40 PIO caps, the silver ones, the blue green cap is Russian too. Looks like a parallel single ended design. The big question is the quality of the transformers. Quality parts are not cheap. There are some very good Chinese amps...and a lot of duds. 

20 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I have the assembly manual... I bought a pdf copy from RW before he disappeared. While you can find them on the internet, this isn't a scan, etc. I felt it was worth the $10 I paid for it.

Thanks for the other link, though.

Ron had some great amps. His daughter got him in financial hot water and I understand it ruined him. 

Edited by Les Lammers

• 2 weeks later...