Wright Wpp100c Tube Phono Stage

joessportster

Replaced the Parks Puffin with the Wright the bass is incredible tubes seem very reasonable to replace using a High output moving Iron Grado The Reference (There top of the line ) and so far very satisfying (I also got the Wright SUT with the purchase) though the wright is older it sounds amazing

Looks Cool as well :) 

Anyone else using one of these care to comment on hum Etc... Yes mine hums depending on how much you turn up the gain (The puffin did the same thing) when music is playing the hum is not evident at all even in very quiet passages Tim Curry Slow Gin has a break in the music approx 10-15 seconds of nothing and the hum is not audible during this. its only pretty much evident when I put the tone arm back in its rest. 

I've listened to the WPP100 at a friends often and haven't noticed humm. I have the later version AG Phono which has the same controls. I am using a Denon DL110 nothing fancy but no hum at all and I can really crank. Hmmm I have no step up. The only hum in my system is when I switch to my mini pc for streaming audio. Gotta get rid of it some day. Wish I had something more useful but love the Wright gear.

Hello Joe,

I have owned a wpp 100 for years. Bought it from George Wright a few years before he passed. It is one of the pieces of gear that I plan on never selling! I never had an issue with hum - except with a grado statement V2 that i had used previous to my current cartridge . I also experienced hum with that cartridge when using other phono pre amps. And I used the wright without a SUT with a Shelter 901 and various Denon 103/103R’s and had no problem just increasing the gain on the wright. 

Quite honestly the hum from the grado never really bothered me as I only really noticed it before the needle dropped. I always thought that the the grado may just be more sensitive to other electrical issues or might required better grounding or something. 

Josh 

4 minutes ago, joshnich said:

Hello Joe,

I have owned a wpp 100 for years. Bought it from George Wright a few years before he passed. It is one of the pieces of gear that I plan on never selling! I never had an issue with hum - except with a grado statement V2 that i had used previous to my current cartridge . I also experienced hum with that cartridge when using other phono pre amps. And I used the wright without a SUT with a Shelter 901 and various Denon 103/103R’s and had no problem just increasing the gain on the wright. 

Quite honestly the hum from the grado never really bothered me as I only really noticed it before the needle dropped. I always thought that the the grado may just be more sensitive to other electrical issues or might required better grounding or something. 

Josh 

I am starting to think you are right that the cartridge is the cause of the Hum...................Perhaps when I get the $$$ I will try another LOMC and see if that gives me issues for now I agree though the hum is only audible before dropping the needle