Super Heresys at 105db

mopardave

Boy these Super's that Claude created sure sound sweet.  Even at 105-108db, clean clear and just very dynamic and just the right amount of low bass to me. My hats off to him.  Using the MAHL with the BC120, K55m.   Here's a few artist to try at 100db if you haven't yet. The Judds greatest hits-why not me and love is alive. Not big on country, but I like this disc. Another would be Queen-bicycle race and body language are good at high volume. America greatest hits is another.  Sandman and I need you are good at spirited levels as well.     Just enjoying my newly reveneered Super's today.   Have a nice day.

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I can't wait to hear them.  Please protect your hearing at those db levels; permanent damage can ensue.  Been there and done that.

BTW, they look spectacular.

48 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I can't wait to hear them.  Please protect your hearing at those db levels; permanent damage can ensue.  Been there and done that.

BTW, they look spectacular.

I already killed my ears many yrs ago.     I'm now listening at 70db and they sound even better.   I hear more detail at lower levels it seems.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mopardave said:

Boy these Super's that Claude created sure sound sweet.  Even at 105-108db, clean clear and just very dynamic and just the right amount of low bass to me. My hats off to him.  Using the MAHL with the BC120, K55m.   Here's a few artist to try at 100db if you haven't yet. The Judds greatest hits-why not me and love is alive. Not big on country, but I like this disc. Another would be Queen-bicycle race and body language are good at high volume. America greatest hits is another.  Sandman and I need you are good at spirited levels as well.     Just enjoying my newly reveneered Super's today.   Have a nice day.

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

Zebrawood, EXCELLENT choice.  I'm jealous. 

On 1/13/2019 at 11:35 AM, mopardave said:

I already killed my ears many yrs ago.     I'm now listening at 70db and they sound even better.   I hear more detail at lower levels it seems.

Good for you. Crank em up once in awhile and enjoy.   I'm guilty of the same and it always brings a smile to my face 

7 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

The speakers look great, but that is some crazy high volume.

Let's just say, some times I like to experience the music.  I do most of my listening at 65-85db.  I can hear more at these lower levels.  Did sound real good 100+, but just not hearing everything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Good for you. Crank em up once in awhile and enjoy.   I'm guilty of the same and it always brings a smile to my face 

Yeah, crankem up.  Not quite the experience I get with the Cornwalls at these upper levels thou.  I am very pleased with everything about these old Heresy's.  And to think not long ago they were stored in my attic.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Those look great.  I will be working on my cabinets this weekend.  I just finished cutting the motor boards today and hopefully will get the rest of the cleats and supports glued in on Sunday.   I am anxious to get them into listenable status.  The new cabs I am building will add about a cubic foot to the interior volume. 

Dave

2 hours ago, Dave S said:

Those look great.  I will be working on my cabinets this weekend.  I just finished cutting the motor boards today and hopefully will get the rest of the cleats and supports glued in on Sunday.   I am anxious to get them into listenable status.  The new cabs I am building will add about a cubic foot to the interior volume. 

Dave

Nice. What are you using for drivers?

On 1/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, mopardave said:

Yeah, crankem up.  Not quite the experience I get with the Cornwalls at these upper levels thou.  I am very pleased with everything about these old Heresy's.  And to think not long ago they were stored in my attic.

Come and get a flat pack for a LAB Tapped horn Sub, "coffee Table sub" and see what bass from 15-60 Hz. sounds/feels like. Sold one to Treyphan and his Super Heresy life has not been the same since! Plus you can hear the MEH setup. Gorgeous Veneer work, BTW.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Come and get a flat pack for a LAB Tapped horn Sub, "coffee Table sub" and see what bass from 15-60 Hz. sounds/feels like. Sold one to Treyphan and his Super Heresy life has not been the same since! Plus you can hear the MEH setup. Gorgeous Veneer work, BTW.

Wow. That's crazy bass.

25 minutes ago, Dave S said:

I am using Eminence Delta 12 A 450 woofers, stock K 53 mids and K 76 tweeters with  Crites titanium diaphragms.  Crossovers are Crites H 2 s. 

Cool.  I'm really liking mine with the new 12w/ch douk amp.  80db listening is awesome.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:16 AM, Dave S said:

I use a Jolida integrated tube amp that puts out about 60 watts per channel.  I am getting itchy to get the cabs done enough to mount the speakers and have a listen.  Staining and finish work can wait, right?  😉

sonic bliss is nice.    In my tube rolling with the Douk amp I landed on these psvane kt88 T and the sec Svetlana 5u3(5u4GB) rectifier tubes.  Very nice combo, but still testing.

IMG_0551.JPG

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dave S said:

Very nice.  I am running some Tung Sol KT 120s and some vintage Mullard 12AT7 and 12 AX7s pre amp and power drivers.  Fun stuff rolling tubes.  

Yes it is.  Maybe I should try some vintage tubes as well.   Been AB'ing the Russian 5u3c 5 pin against the psvane 5z3 4 pin and they are very close, but I give the edge to the Russian tube for being a tad more clean/accurate than the psvane. Very close between the two.  Just through the JJ 5u4GB back into the mix.  Just as good as the other two.   The Shunguang 5u4GB needs more volume to match db of the others.   Looks like the EH 5u4GB will need a bunch of burn in as its very skinny sounding right now.     Will see how that goes.  

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2019 at 8:25 PM, Dave S said:

I am using Eminence Delta 12 A 450 woofers, stock K 53 mids and K 76 tweeters with  Crites titanium diaphragms.  Crossovers are Crites H 2 s. 

Are you using specifically the :   Eminence Delta Pro 12-450-4 12" Professional Midbass Woofer 4 Ohm?? Why that choice? Thanks.

Edited by RVDIII