Pro's wiggin out since win2k was installed

Ever since I installed Win2k over win98 so it would do a duel boot, I cant play mp3's or even regular sounds after a while. What happens is first I noticed that I'm hearing a popping noise from the sats, staticy, out of every sat. Then after using win2k for a couple of hours and using up some resources, winamp completely stopped working. It looked like it was going to play the song but it just stops and I hear nothing. So I go into control panel and open up the Sounds Menu, and I cant even preview the default ding noise. I restart and it goes back to normal, accept with the popping noise. I hear the popping noise in win98se and in win2k. Anyone have any ideas whats going on? Is my computer not fast enough to handle win2k running mp3s? lol

k6-2 350 o/c 400mhz

Gigabyte ga-5aa

v3 3500 16mb AGP w/ win2k drivers

mx300 w/ latest reference drivers from Aureal

------------------

Join my low fiber all fat diet today and you too can be an unemployed slob!

sounds like a memory problem.also are you running multiple apps at the same time?i use music match jukebox and when im playing mp3's and have a few apps. open it will skip everyonce in a while.also how much hard drive space do you have left?you could be running out of virtaul memeroy.

It might just be the fact that you are using Win 2000 or try this...

Defragment your hard drive, then change your virtual memory settings to this: specify your own settings, then set the minimum and the maximum to the same size like 256 mb. 128 megs would be alright too i guess, but not as good. You have to make sure you that you defragment your drive first though, then restart, then change the vitual mem settings, and then restart again. If you don't do that it won't work out quite as well. What this does is places your swap file all in one chunk instead of having little bits and pieces of virtual mem all over your hard drive. This makes it so that windows only has to go to one place on your drive to access vitrual mem, instead of having to search all over your drive to the all the little places that win would have stuck your swap file if it was in control of it.

Hope that fixes your problem or at least helps a little.

Did you do the dual install on one partition thing, or did you install on a multi-boot, multi-partitioned drive?

If you installed 2000 over 98, it's suggested that you save your data and fresh install the 2000.

If you want to boot between 98 and 2000 try out Symon,

http://symon.da.ru/

The control this program gives you over your MBR and partition tables is well worth the effort to learn.

rol1 kows what he is talking about. If you want 98 and 2k on duel boot make sure they are on seperate partitions. Install 98 first on its own partition, then 2000 on its own. You will find yourself using 98 less and less.c>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

I'm going to first try defragging the drive tonight overnight. Then ill change the virtual memory settings. I have the duel boot on 1 partition, because I dont know how to partition the drive, and I dont wanna spend money on a program like partition magic. I installed win98 first, then installed win2k. I would like to just use win2k, but i am a gamer and i'm afraid somethings wont work right with win2k. I guess it doesnt matter since my computer is to slow to play anything lol. But winamp works just fine in 98 now, in win2k not only does winamp just stop working, but the sats sound funny as well. If defragging doesnt help, im gonna format and just put 98 on unil I get a new system that can run it right. I cant wait till I can use win2k though, im a UI **** I guess, every little improvement makes it nice to use. From the fading menu's to how the world at the top right of IE runs faster makes me say ahhhhh. Thanks for all the help.

With Symon you can have up to 30 partitions and select any 4 of these partitions to boot as your system.

You don't need a dedicated partition, as with OS2 boot loader, Ranish Partition Manager, or XOSL that uses Ranish as a partition tool. Symon runs from and saves the orignal partition configuration in the boot sector and doesn't need a partition of its' own.

Partition Magic needs to boot into dos, then loads your system from info on that dos partition, and if anything craps in that partition you're royally screwed.

A problem with most partition managers is that they see unknown file blocks as 1 of the 4 partitions that most systems can see. With 1 partition for your partition manager and the sequence of partitions can limit you to just 1 or 2 partitions per operating system.

Symon lets you control which partitions are seen and lets your order them as you like. You can have private partitions that are only assessable thru a password protected

boot menu.

I have had problems on systems with the old Phoenix bios' w/PPros, but no trouble with modern bios.

Like I said before, Symon will let you do things with partitions you didn't know you wanted to.

Ok I tried defragging, then restarting, then changing the virutal memory settings to 256, then restarting, and this time it took a lot longer for winamp to freeze up on me,but it eventually did. I had to put some classical on a loop until the 3rd time when it froze. I guess I will be formatting anyway..this k6 piece of **** isnt worth the cardboard it was shipped in 3 years ago, let alone now. Thanks for your help everyone.

Psycho_Wolf