Duplex emergency room ( i need help :s )

gazzamongo

In all sense of the word. 

( read this in the voice of lemony snicket , narrator of 'a series of unfortunate events' . might help with empathy ?)

O.k so you can see from the meme i have created,  to highlight my stupidity and lack of situational awareness, that i have made an ill advised technical modification to a once perfectly decent iconic model 704-8a. 

I probably deserve to be publicly thrashed with bamboo canes by kendo masters rather than recieve any help. But for those that see fit , what would you do to dry the cone and hopefully help it regain its shape? 

Wish id modge podged them prior to putting in storage. I am le sigh :(

50065984_10156616838970831_3850829430909829120_o.jpg

Edited by gazzamongo
to upset to spell rite

1 minute ago, Deang said:

I don’t think anyone has any idea what in the hell you're talking about. 

Not feeling at my most composed or coherent right now , sorry.

To explain. The stored drivers ended up with a leaking pipe dripping onto them. You can see the cone is wet and deformed. Im seeking best practice advice to dry it out and i guess an assessment of how likely it is that it'll function correctly afterwards. 

Thanks 

29 minutes ago, gazzamongo said:

In all sense of the word. 

( read this in the voice of lemony snicket , narrator of 'a series of unfortunate events' . might help with empathy ?)

O.k so you can see from the meme i have created,  to highlight my stupidity and lack of situational awareness, that i have made an ill advised technical modification to a once perfectly decent iconic model 704-8a. 

I probably deserve to be publicly thrashed with bamboo canes by kendo masters rather than recieve any help. But for those that see fit , what would you do to dry the cone and hopefully help it regain its shape? 

Wish id modge podged them prior to putting in storage. I am le sigh :(

50065984_10156616838970831_3850829430909829120_o.jpg

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, gazzamongo said:

Ok sorry for the confusingly written original posts. My descriptive ability has clearly been damaged by Facebook , where people only communicate in memes. 

As above , im appealing for help with a water damaged cone ( i know , why didn't i just say that ?!?)

Hard to tell from the pictures but if the cone is warped and swelled I have great doubts about it being salvageable..... sorry for your loss 🙁

miketn

25 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Hard to tell from the pictures but if the cone is warped and swelled I have great doubts about it being salvageable..... sorry for your loss 🙁

miketn

i did wonder if it would shrink back to normal. im getting told reconing isn't as injurious to the wallet as a new driver ( as one might hope )

I saw your post before it'd been replied to and understood perfectly both what had happened and what you were looking for.  I didn't respond because I wanted to smartassedly say that if you'd used a plastic tote sitting level instead of an akimbo cardboard box your problem would likely be usably symmetrical.

Try cutting some heavier plastic placemats with appropriate arcs, redampen the cone, and sandwich it between the plastic compressing them together with some of those little rare earth magnets 'til it dries.  Got nothing to lose at this point.

• Like 1

Great Plains Audio is staffed with people from the old Altec company. They bought a lot of the old production setup and do re-coning to the original specs. I was quoted I think $115 to get some 15" woofers done + shipping both ways. I would think they could do duplexes to so give them a shout. I don't see a way for you to ever get those back into proper shape and would not even try.

So Facebook uses a subset of the English language as a rule? Never joined and not seeing any incentive to do so and feed the Zuckerberg privacy invasion machine.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

Great Plains Audio is staffed with people from the old Altec company. They bought a lot of the old production setup and do re-coning to the original specs. I was quoted I think $115 to get some 15" woofers done + shipping both ways. I would think they could do duplexes to so give them a shout. I don't see a way for you to ever get those back into proper shape and would not even try.

So Facebook uses a subset of the English language as a rule? Never joined and not seeing any incentive to do so and feed the Zuckerberg privacy invasion machine.

Agree on the multiple points, including Facebook.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies people. Wow thats a bunch cheaper than id imagined. Even factoring in insured shipping from the u.k it may be worth my while.

You're probably not missing much avoiding f.b , it allows silly points of view to gather momentum at a scary pace ( like ' you're a transphobic cissexist if you DON'T prefer sex with women who have penises '.... Wait, what ?!? )

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, gazzamongo said:

Thanks for the replies people. Wow thats a bunch cheaper than id imagined. Even factoring in insured shipping from the u.k it may be worth my while.

You're probably not missing much avoiding f.b , it allows silly points of view to gather momentum at a scary pace ( like ' you're a transphobic cissexist if you DON'T prefer sex with women who have penises '.... Wait, what ?!? )

It surprised me too. I have some Altec A-7's here to restore and when it is time for woofer reconing they go to Great Plains. I think they also check Alnico magnets and restore their characteristics if needed.

• Like 1

On the +ve . Bill from great plains says he can recone for $145.00
Not sure if this is a new price across the board for 604's or because mine is an iconic 704-8a but I'm happy enough with that.
Probably get both done so they're equally fresh in that case.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, gazzamongo said:

On the +ve . Bill from great plains says he can recone for $145.00
Not sure if this is a new price across the board for 604's or because mine is an iconic 704-8a but I'm happy enough with that.
Probably get both done so they're equally fresh in that case.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

It's the best deal going. I don't hunt for used Altec woofers any more I just get my problem children reconed. You give him the specific information I am certain you will get a quote for that.

8 hours ago, gazzamongo said:

England is in the midst of a PC overthrow of what made them great. Your own people like the childless May who do not care about the future are selling you down the river and I don't understand the passive attitude which is allowing all this to happen. I read that Churchill is being censored now because of the truth he spoke about the Arabs being imported into England in wholesale lots. I fear for your country and see no peaceful way out as rational people have sat on their hands too long and now they must fight or lose England and they were silly enough to give up their guns so they are in heap big trouble.

England is in the midst of a PC overthrow of what made them great. Your own people like the childless May who do not care about the future are selling you down the river and I don't understand the passive attitude which is allowing all this to happen. I read that Churchill is being censored now because of the truth he spoke about the Arabs being imported into England in wholesale lots. I fear for your country and see no peaceful way out as rational people have sat on their hands too long and now they must fight or lose England and they were silly enough to give up their guns so they are in heap big trouble.
^ can of worms much :0

I think as a newcomer here I'd rather talk about loudspeakers than politics.