harbeth c7es3 vs 26 year old Klipsch KG 5.2

Kidd

Well , I was wnating to up grade as I did not think  my Kg's were anything special , and I am still not sure  they are,  6 months ago after doing several searchs for " best speakers under $5K " and 10K   , Harbeth ppeared o n several list .    Harbeth C7's were the only ones on CL in my area , or any area for that matter .

S , I purchased them  ,  put the  Klipsch away for the 6 months  and only listened to the Harbeth .

Yesterday , got'em out and wired them up side by side in several different ways , I could not make the Harbeth sound close to as good as the Klipsch .
The Klipsch has only one horn and may be a good thing , 8" speaker , too, and a passive bass I believe that's what it's called .

So , People can get brainwashed into believing all the adjectives placed on speakers by reviewing professionals as I was in the months of reading them , I mean , it took me awhile to understand just how good my Harbeth's are supposed to be , until I compared them side by side with my Klipsch , just no comparison , hands down , my Klipsch is better , no honking horns , no fatigue , so much more clear , articulate , reveling and so on with the adjectives.

So , now , my search is for Altec , Klipsch , JBL or any other horned speaker as my KG5.2 are no where near the best of them , well , I am guessing they are not , no one mentions the KG5.2 on any forums

There's a pair of La Scala's , asking $2K  , 1980ish , in my area   for sale , how's that for a price ????

Kidd

I like your idea. The 2,000.00 for a 30+ year old pair of La Scala is high. But I looked around Houston and that was the price range I found. Or beater club speakers for a grand. Wife issues with that option. 

A great price is 800.00 - 1200.00. If I had found a nice pair in that range I would not own LS ii. 

Look in the Garage sale forum here. Look on Craig’s List, eBay, even Audiogon. Several members here manage to locate Klipsch at reasonable prices.

Kidd, there are couple (actually dozens - lol) of Klipsch models I had never even heard about before finding this forum.

The ones that I regret selling the most (when I finally found the “right pair” of LaScalas) were CF-3’s. Dual 10” woofers punch hard and the big horn is an ear opener. 

Welcome to the forum, and the journey!

• Like 1

Khorn ! , I will consider  and thing that pops up on CL

I stayed in  a  Phx hotel  last night ,  strange thing , every time I saw a trash can , I thought of Klipsch  , the La Scala , Khorn  and others do look like trash receptacles .

Have tried many of the KG's ... 1.5, 2.2, 3.2, 4, 4.2. 5.5.  All very decent ... actually like the (older) KG4 the best of these. No longer have them ... strictly Heritage and Pro now. But pretty good and available for decent prices. Good as an introduction to Klipsch or for bed/guest/other rooms. :D  

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

I had KG 4.2s back in the mid 90s. Didn't keep 'em long as I thought they were just ok. Anything heritage will be a big improvement.

Shakey

I am thinking of a $325 upgrade  for my KG5.2    , Mr Crites  is wanting to sell me some

Also thought of the newer book shelf (klipsch)  speakers  placed on top of the Kg5.2   would get me closer to Forte , cheaper

10 hours ago, Kidd said:

I am thinking of a $325 upgrade  for my KG5.2    , Mr Crites  is wanting to sell me some

Also thought of the newer book shelf (klipsch)  speakers  placed on top of the Kg5.2   would get me closer to Forte , cheaper

No, no, no and no.

Don't think in terms of "mo is betta". Combining two different speakers like that is a recipe for disaster. And personally I wouldn't waste $$ upgrading speakers that only have a horn loaded tweeter. You are missing much of the horn "goodness". 

Sell the 5.2s when you are ready and buy some fortes, or at least heresys. Then you will see what the fuss is all about.

Shakey

• Like 3

Funny how people always say ...when I put them side by side Klipsch wins..... If you think KGs are good wait till you hear LaScalas. But before you buy check to make sure all drivers working and if crossover has been updated. 

You could sell your current speakers and ad some funds and call Cory get New Forte's I bet. He has some B stock speakers for low prices now. He even has a pair of 70th anniversary KHorns for cheap. If buying new call Cory.

There is definitely something special with kg5.2 speakers. They were the only speaker I regretted selling. I bought another pair in walnut recently to fill the void. They have got to be one of the most natural sounding klipsch speaker I have owned. I've owned most of the original heritage line as well as the extended heritage line, the entire original kg line, kg3.2 and kg5.2, the entire kg x.5 line, entire klf line, cf3,  and various reference speakers. I always put the kg5.2 in my list of favorites.

It's just the way the woofer and tweeter work together, the sound is very natural. I don't feel like they dig down deep in bass, but they certainly make up for it in the vocal frequencies areas. A forte II, forte III, or chorus II will certainly be a better speaker which I think will also dig deeper, just don't discredit the kg5.2.

3 hours ago, dtr20 said:

There is definitely something special with kg5.2 speakers. They were the only speaker I regretted selling. I bought another pair in walnut recently to fill the void. They have got to be one of the most natural sounding klipsch speaker I have owned. I've owned most of the original heritage line as well as the extended heritage line, the entire original kg line, kg3.2 and kg5.2, the entire kg x.5 line, entire klf line, cf3,  and various reference speakers. I always put the kg5.2 in my list of favorites.

It's just the way the woofer and tweeter work together, the sound is very natural. I don't feel like they dig down deep in bass, but they certainly make up for it in the vocal frequencies areas. A forte II, forte III, or chorus II will certainly be a better speaker which I think will also dig deeper, just don't discredit the kg5.2.

Doesn't it  make sense  for me to demo  the Forte 3 and my Kg5.2 side by side , I can answer that , yes , of course it does .    Probably the only way that will happen is for me to buy the Forte 3  and demo them myself .

Unless some  in Arizona  has a pair  for me to listen to  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  that person may be me  , I hate to state that , expensive demo

2 hours ago, Kidd said:

Doesn't it  make sense  for me to demo  the Forte 3 and my Kg5.2 side by side , I can answer that , yes , of course it does .    Probably the only way that will happen is for me to buy the Forte 3  and demo them myself .

Unless some  in Arizona  has a pair  for me to listen to  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  that person may be me  , I hate to state that , expensive demo

By no means was I trying to convince you not to look into other speakers, I was just giving credit where credit is due. Forte III speakers are great. Find an audio shop near you and see if they are crazy enough to let you bring in your kg5.2 speakers for a side by side demo. My last sentence said that the forte III is a better speaker, just don't discredit the kg5.2. In other words, just because they are on the older side, doesn't mean it's not good. I would love to hear your thoughts if you could A+B them. Good luck with your search.