Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kidd

harbeth c7es3 vs 26 year old Klipsch KG 5.2

Recommended Posts

Well , I was wnating to up grade as I did not think  my Kg's were anything special , and I am still not sure  they are,  6 months ago after doing several searchs for " best speakers under $5K " and 10K   , Harbeth ppeared o n several list .    Harbeth C7's were the only ones on CL in my area , or any area for that matter .

S , I purchased them  ,  put the  Klipsch away for the 6 months  and only listened to the Harbeth .

 

Yesterday , got'em out and wired them up side by side in several different ways , I could not make the Harbeth sound close to as good as the Klipsch .
The Klipsch has only one horn and may be a good thing , 8" speaker , too, and a passive bass I believe that's what it's called .

So , People can get brainwashed into believing all the adjectives placed on speakers by reviewing professionals as I was in the months of reading them , I mean , it took me awhile to understand just how good my Harbeth's are supposed to be , until I compared them side by side with my Klipsch , just no comparison , hands down , my Klipsch is better , no honking horns , no fatigue , so much more clear , articulate , reveling and so on with the adjectives.

So , now , my search is for Altec , Klipsch , JBL or any other horned speaker as my KG5.2 are no where near the best of them , well , I am guessing they are not , no one mentions the KG5.2 on any forums

 

There's a pair of La Scala's , asking $2K  , 1980ish , in my area   for sale , how's that for a price ????

 

 Kidd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I like your idea. The 2,000.00 for a 30+ year old pair of La Scala is high. But I looked around Houston and that was the price range I found. Or beater club speakers for a grand. Wife issues with that option. 

  A great price is 800.00 - 1200.00. If I had found a nice pair in that range I would not own LS ii. 

  Look in the Garage sale forum here. Look on Craig’s List, eBay, even Audiogon. Several members here manage to locate Klipsch at reasonable prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kidd, there are couple (actually dozens - lol) of Klipsch models I had never even heard about before finding this forum.

 

The ones that I regret selling the most (when I finally found the “right pair” of LaScalas) were CF-3’s. Dual 10” woofers punch hard and the big horn is an ear opener. 

 

Welcome to the forum, and the journey!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW, what a jump from the KG's! Skipping over a large number of very good models like Heresy, forte & Cornwall's just to name a small few for a lot less money.  But hey, if I had the floor space I would be looking at LS's too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since your budget is 2K, that is Khorn money right there. And if your room will support them, you should bypass Lascalas and go straight to them.

 

Shakey

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khorn ! , I will consider  and thing that pops up on CL

 

I stayed in  a  Phx hotel  last night ,  strange thing , every time I saw a trash can , I thought of Klipsch  , the La Scala , Khorn  and others do look like trash receptacles .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arizona  Klipsch Owners

I'd like to hear your speakers  , Fortes , Khorns , La scala or what ever   , would like to compare to my Kg5.2

 

No trash receptacles  , please

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kidd said:

,

No trash receptacles  , please

 

Yea they would sound like trash wouldn't they...… :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had KG 4.2s back in the mid 90s. Didn't keep 'em long as I thought they were just ok. Anything heritage will be a big improvement.

 

Shakey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have tried many of the KG's ... 1.5, 2.2, 3.2, 4, 4.2. 5.5.  All very decent ... actually like the (older) KG4 the best of these. No longer have them ... strictly Heritage and Pro now. But pretty good and available for decent prices. Good as an introduction to Klipsch or for bed/guest/other rooms. :D  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

I had KG 4.2s back in the mid 90s. Didn't keep 'em long as I thought they were just ok. Anything heritage will be a big improvement.

 

Shakey

I am thinking of a $325 upgrade  for my KG5.2    , Mr Crites  is wanting to sell me some

 

Also thought of the newer book shelf (klipsch)  speakers  placed on top of the Kg5.2   would get me closer to Forte , cheaper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kidd said:

I am thinking of a $325 upgrade  for my KG5.2    , Mr Crites  is wanting to sell me some

 

Also thought of the newer book shelf (klipsch)  speakers  placed on top of the Kg5.2   would get me closer to Forte , cheaper

 

No, no, no and no.

 

Don't think in terms of "mo is betta". Combining two different speakers like that is a recipe for disaster. And personally I wouldn't waste $$ upgrading speakers that only have a horn loaded tweeter. You are missing much of the horn "goodness". 

 

Sell the 5.2s when you are ready and buy some fortes, or at least heresys. Then you will see what the fuss is all about.

Shakey

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how people always say ...when I put them side by side Klipsch wins..... If you think KGs are good wait till you hear LaScalas. But before you buy check to make sure all drivers working and if crossover has been updated. 

You could sell your current speakers and ad some funds and call Cory get New Forte's I bet. He has some B stock speakers for low prices now. He even has a pair of 70th anniversary KHorns for cheap. If buying new call Cory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That link doesn't do anything for non-facebook-members.  What's it supposed to show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a little afraid the forte 3 will sound  just a little better then the kg5.2   

 

someone in arizona reading this who has the forte 3 , please let me listen to yours 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is definitely something special with kg5.2 speakers. They were the only speaker I regretted selling. I bought another pair in walnut recently to fill the void. They have got to be one of the most natural sounding klipsch speaker I have owned. I've owned most of the original heritage line as well as the extended heritage line, the entire original kg line, kg3.2 and kg5.2, the entire kg x.5 line, entire klf line, cf3,  and various reference speakers. I always put the kg5.2 in my list of favorites.

 

It's just the way the woofer and tweeter work together, the sound is very natural. I don't feel like they dig down deep in bass, but they certainly make up for it in the vocal frequencies areas. A forte II, forte III, or chorus II will certainly be a better speaker which I think will also dig deeper, just don't discredit the kg5.2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dtr20 said:

There is definitely something special with kg5.2 speakers. They were the only speaker I regretted selling. I bought another pair in walnut recently to fill the void. They have got to be one of the most natural sounding klipsch speaker I have owned. I've owned most of the original heritage line as well as the extended heritage line, the entire original kg line, kg3.2 and kg5.2, the entire kg x.5 line, entire klf line, cf3,  and various reference speakers. I always put the kg5.2 in my list of favorites.

 

It's just the way the woofer and tweeter work together, the sound is very natural. I don't feel like they dig down deep in bass, but they certainly make up for it in the vocal frequencies areas. A forte II, forte III, or chorus II will certainly be a better speaker which I think will also dig deeper, just don't discredit the kg5.2.

Doesn't it  make sense  for me to demo  the Forte 3 and my Kg5.2 side by side , I can answer that , yes , of course it does .    Probably the only way that will happen is for me to buy the Forte 3  and demo them myself .

 

Unless some  in Arizona  has a pair  for me to listen to  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  that person may be me  , I hate to state that , expensive demo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kidd said:

Doesn't it  make sense  for me to demo  the Forte 3 and my Kg5.2 side by side , I can answer that , yes , of course it does .    Probably the only way that will happen is for me to buy the Forte 3  and demo them myself .

 

Unless some  in Arizona  has a pair  for me to listen to  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  that person may be me  , I hate to state that , expensive demo

 

By no means was I trying to convince you not to look into other speakers, I was just giving credit where credit is due. Forte III speakers are great. Find an audio shop near you and see if they are crazy enough to let you bring in your kg5.2 speakers for a side by side demo. My last sentence said that the forte III is a better speaker, just don't discredit the kg5.2. In other words, just because they are on the older side, doesn't mean it's not good. I would love to hear your thoughts if you could A+B them. Good luck with your search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't let go of the 5.2s that easily.  I long miss the pair I bought new.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...