Recommendation for RP rear surrounds in 7.2.4 atmos set up?

jason51672

Hello all,

I am in process of building a dedicated HT and I currently have or have decided to go with RP-8000F fronts, RP-504 center, 2 pair or of RP-500sa surrounds (one for each row of seats), RP-502s bipoles for rears and 4 in ceiling PRO-16RCs for atmos.

I'm wondering if I should return the RP-502s and go with RP-500M (or RP-600M) bookshelf speakers, another pair of RP-500SAs or stick with the RP-502s's?

My HT is 11.4' w x 19.5' l x 7.4' h and I have 2 rows of 3 theater seats with 9" riser for back row   I decided to go with the RP-500SAs for surrounds because there is only about 22" space between the wall and the seats (where people need to walk) I need something low profile that I can partially embed in the wall.  Because the RP-500SAs are fully enclosed and shallow with no ports seems like it would be safe to do so without compromising sound quality (someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) I can't do in wall speakers because there is a long window on the other side where the speakers need to go.  I've been able to mount them to wall under the window (the actual speakers are in front of the window) and plan is to cover most of the speaker cabinets with the blackout curtains going in front of the window.

Plan is to mount the RP-500SAs about a foot or less over ear height and angle only slightly downward rather than flush with wall to maximize atomos effect (especially with 7.4 ft ceilings and a riser.)  Embedding in wall on one side and blackout curtains on the other should hide the angle mismatch with the back of the speakers.

The back wall has 2 closets so rears will have to be on stands or hang from the ceiling.

My thought on going with the RP-502s bipoles for rears is that the 4 sets of tweeters & 5.25 woofers in the 2 RP-502s bipoles would be good balance for the 4 sets of tweeters & 5.25 woofers in the 2 pairs of RP-500sa surrounds.  But I've also heard it is best to use directional for rears especially in 7.1.4 atmos setup.  Hence my question of should I go with bookshelf or another pair of 500SAs (to match surrounds.)

Any suggestions, thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by jason51672

• 3 years later...