Stereo Receiver does not have a sleep timer, HELP!

RLink

I have a two channel Pioneer Elite SX-A9MK2 absolutely beautiful but doesn't have a "Sleep Timer."  Looking for any assistance if there is a way to connect something to it or what?   I remember back in the 1980's Pioneer had a timer that would shut off two pieces of equipment but not sure what would work today or even if it will.   This receiver does not have the ability to go into sleep mode if not used either.........

Love to listen to music before going to bed but have to shut it off myself........UGH!

Appreciate any help with this guys.....Thanks.

So, this has a remote function, but you drift off while listening and cant hit the off button, Is that it?  A possible simple solution is to get a digital timer that turns on and off lights, set it to turn off at a time of your choosing and enter dreamland without a care in the world.😀 The only thing of concern is that it can handle the wattage without frying.  

• Moderators

I could use something to do the same thing, old HK930 receiver in the closet for bedroom speakers and I would like it to turn off after I fall asleep. 

6 hours ago, Shiva said:

A possible simple solution is to get a digital timer that turns on and off lights

That's what I was thinking.

6 hours ago, USNRET said:

https://www.ebay.com/i/222841376718?chn=ps

I used this back in the '70's; can't remember the exact model number Pioneer Digital Time DT-5***

That's cool, it even looks 70's, never heard of one like that before.

2 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

We have one for a lamp that works really well.

BTW @capo72, how's the CD player working out for you?

I just set up my daughters room with a bunch of these outlets because she got an Amazon Echo Dot for Christmas. She has the "smartest" room in my house!

@wuzzzer It's working great Mark! Thanks for the good deal. Sorry for not getting back to you. With the holidays and all it was a couple weeks before I could spend time with it.

• Like 1

I’m curious why you aren’t going with the “wi-fi outlets” that 2 people have suggested.

I use Google Home, and a Wemo Mini Smart Plug to turn on and off my 1950s era Fisher 500 mono tube receiver in my bedroom. (The Wemo Mini Smart Plug is rated at 1800 watts, which is ample for this use.)

I can say: 

• "Hey Google, turn on Fisher 500."
  • "Hey Google, turn off Fisher 500."

You can also use a smartphone or tablet to control the Wemo Mini Smart Plug. 

You can use the Wemo app on a smartphone/tablet to set an Auto-Off Timer for the Wemo Mini Smart Plug, i.e., turn off automatically after X many hours and Y many minutes.  For example, you can turn on the vintage receiver either via smartphone/tablet (or via voice command to Google Home smart speaker), and it turns off automatically after 2 hours (or whatever time period you set). 

The Wemo Mini Smart Plug is currently available on Amazon for $23 (free shipping).    Wemo Mini Smart Plug

If you want voice command (vs. using smartphone/tablet), you can buy a Google Home for $89, or a Google Home Mini for $29, which opens up a wealth of “smart speaker” capabilities.   For example, I can say something like "Hey Google, play 'Classical KUSC' on Chromecast Bedroom", and that internet radio station will be cast to a $35 Chromecast Audio gizmo connected to an Aux input on my Fisher 500.  You can also use Google Home to control Spotify Premium. (This works well for pop music; not so good for classical music.)   And of course, Google Home (or Alexa) can be used for countless other things.

I’m just curious why you would choose a vintage timer vs. modern technology.

P.S.  I see that @capo72 recommended a different brand (TanTan) of wi-fi outlets that sell for $33 for quantity 4.   They're rated at 10A vs. 15A for the Wemo gizmo that I bought a year ago.  I don't know if the TanTan wi-fi outlets have the Auto-Off feature.

P.P.S.  I just asked "Hey Google, will the Chiefs win today?"   She stated who is playing and game time, but declined to predict a winner ...   🙂

• Like 2