Khorns with this 13 by 13 inch mod; are now complete

Ho_Leung

Thanks oh so much with my question about Khorn mouth volume...   Allot of persons way smarter than me.  Technically.    This is the real question or theorem. 

I contend that Paul Klipsch created a bass bin that will sit independent of the wall like all of his other Product.  I have a big problem with the way the mouth opening  and the wall intersect.  The sound wave radiates forward and streight up, wierd.     I have seen allot of bass bins.  None that interacts quite like this.    I  believe Paul wanted to use the room as support, but not as an integral element in his wave design theory and application.     If you use the front of the Klipschorn cabinet and draw a straight line to intersect the wall, a 13 by 13 inch triangle will complete the top to create a  location for the horn opening.  See Pics.     A bass bin complete .  That radiates off the front,  This resembles every bass bin that I have ever seen.     and thusly can be placed any where in the room like all of the other products Paul Klipsch created.       I had a standing wave problem for years, of which I would call the note of Terror.  Well the note of Terror happened to be the Lowest note I have ever heard, after I picked my jaw off the floor, I heard it two more times.  Now I have perfectly articulated bass notes, passages, crystal clarity.  top to bottom... first impression Coherency  that seem to extend to upper mids.    I have never seen this configuration...   Khorns like you have never heard.    try it .    enjoy.  

20190110_080947.jpg

20190110_081101.jpg

20190110_081452.jpg

thanks for the TSCM link   That was exactly why they did not market them... Khorns very sexy,  TSCM  a little awkward looking to say the least.     Try the 13 by 13 inch triangles, put a nail in the wall to and the triangle will sit on it.      The other issue with the Khorns was that with both sitting flat on the wall may create standing waves..  Either way.    This configuration rocks..   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deang said:

Also known as “false corners”. 

Mine were pulled against my khorns with threaded rods and wood blocks. 

CDCBBB04-D3B7-41C8-8E41-5764725FB7A1.jpeg

My listening area is a kind of similar. Loft with two large bookcases full of lp’s in the two corners where Khorns could sit. Guess that is why I have La Scala’s. 

When I retire may try something like the OP’s rig to eliminate the sub and finally use a Klipschorn. 

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

He closes in the tops, though, which might actually be an improvement.

Wavelength at 40 Hz is 28+ feet. A tiny 13" triangle should have negligible effect at the lower end of the passband.

Higher frequencies ... maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

So, it you had your Khorns in regular corners, you could put a truncated pyramid under the top hat and accomplish the same thing.

I'd make it out of Plexiglas, so that it would be almost invisible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Edgar said:

Wavelength at 40 Hz is 28+ feet. A tiny 13" triangle should have negligible effect at the lower end of the passband.  Higher frequencies ... maybe.

If you think about it a while, you might find that at the 400 Hz crossover point between the bass bin and the midrange, the minimum-sized object that will have 1/4 wavelength horn directivity or horn gain effect at the mouth of the horn is 8.5 inches (horn depth).  Those triangles probably don't do much to midrange directivity or horn loading since the balance of the bass bin's horn path length that the higher  frequency acoustic waves must already travel through is much longer than that. 

Chris

• Like 1