CL: Klipsch Chorus 1 - $675 (PARRISH) FL

Alexander

25 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

Would these work well as a center for Cornscalas?  They are right down the road from me. Would consider using them combined as one center speaker. 

Yes, although you would be better using just one and selling the other.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

Would these work well as a center for Cornscalas?

The Cornscala is not a Klipsch speaker and I don't know what components it uses.  I don't think many people have them, and I have never heard them.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you might have to try them to see if they work as a center.  Wire them in parallel to convert an 8 Ohm load to a 4 Ohm load.

FYI the $675 asking price is fair market value, I have the average price for Ch1's at $617, and those looked to be in good shape.  To me that means if you end up selling them you won't make a profit, but you can probably get your money back out of them and break even.

• Like 1

Cannot conceive of a Center speaker for Cornscalas, let alone, a formidable pair used as such. A Cornwall single would think a better combo. In either case, would want to have or have had x-overs refreshed since manufacture when dealing with the Chorus 1 or 2 and the same for Cornwall 1 or 2 vintage.

these Chorus may have been refreshed already, have not read. Welcome to the forum and see others chiming in...:)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

Thanks guys for the thoughts and replies.  My Cornscalas are type B ones from Bob Crites. Basically it is a blend of the Cornwall and La Scala speakers. I will probably just buy another one to use as my center, but always like to check other options. 

You have nice set of speakers, liked by many here, imo...

8 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

Basically it is a blend of the Cornwall and La Scala speakers.

I'm with you, as I think most of us know basically of the Cornscala but we tend to keep better track of Klipsch drivers such as the K-77 tweeter and the K-55v mid range compression drivers which Klipsch used in just about all the Heritage speakers from that era.  A lot of people like the L/C/R to timbre match and I just don't know enough about the Ch1's to say for sure if what Crites used would match up.  You might even reach out to Bob, I think he would know.

I hesitate to recommend speaker setups when I haven't heard either of the ones you have.

OTOH, I suggest you try it, then you can tell usB)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

They are for my theater room. My rears are La Scalas with new crossovers and tweeters. I am about half way through updating my room. 

Interesting.  I don't want to tell you what to do, but I've heard a couple of setups with LS as L/C/R.  It makes for the best front soundstage I've ever heard.  Also it is not uncommon to find LS as singles, or if you buy a pair, sell a single.  You could even put L/S as L/C/R across the front, the Cornscala in the back with your extra LS between them.

A pair of LS gives you some nice options.  B)

Our buddy @Youthman has several Youtube vids on his three La Scala setup.

5 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

Thank you. They are for my theater room. My rears are La Scalas with new crossovers and tweeters. I am about half way through updating my room. 

Well stick around then if you want to as a member now. Have had the Chorus an a pair of LS 1...excellent in both cases of course...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Interesting.  I don't want to tell you what to do, but I've heard a couple of setups with LS as L/C/R.  It makes for the best front soundstage I've ever heard.  Also it is not uncommon to find LS as singles, or if you buy a pair, sell a single.  You could even put L/S as L/C/R across the front, the Cornscala in the back with your extra LS between them.

A pair of LS gives you some nice options.  B)

Our buddy @Youthman has several Youtube vids on his three La Scala setup.

I am familiar with his setup and we have spoken before. His is somewhat similar to mine. The only reason I was avoiding a full LCR La Scala setup is the need to add more subwoofers. The Cornscalas dig lower. I have an old SVS plus/2 as a near field sub now. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Pinball_pw said:

The only reason I was avoiding a full LCR La Scala setup is the need to add more subwoofers.

You are correct, the LS definitely need a quality sub or subs to handle the low end.

1 hour ago, Pinball_pw said:

The Cornscalas dig lower.

I have heard the benefit of the Cornscala is it combines the best part of the Corwalls (bass) and the best parts of the LaScala (midrange and highs).  What kind of "lower" are we talking about?  I really don't see Cornscalas replacing dedicated subwoofers though.

With that said, if you have the SVS sub that had the dual down firing 12's....that sub is no joke.  LOL.

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

You are correct, the LS definitely need a quality sub or subs to handle the low end.

I have heard the benefit of the Cornscala is it combines the best part of the Corwalls (bass) and the best parts of the LaScala (midrange and highs).  What kind of "lower" are we talking about?  I really don't see Cornscalas replacing dedicated subwoofers though.

With that said, if you have the SVS sub that had the dual down firing 12's....that sub is no joke.  LOL.

La Scalas cut off at about 45hz and Cornscalas cut off at about 34hz.  That makes a significant difference for home theater usage.  I do indeed have the dual down firing 12 sub from SVS and it sits about 3 feet behind my listening position.  Perhaps at some point, when budget allows, I could add a couple more subs up front, but that isn't the priority just yet.  I would gladly buy a used La Scala for my center if one becomes available.  As Dave pointed out, that provides a lot of flexibility.

6 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

Perhaps I could buy these as my rear surrounds and just move one of my La Scalas up front. Good idea or bad idea?

Bad idea.   Move one LA scala up front?  Mono up front, stereo in the rear?   No.....   Get another LA scala.   Or... Use these as fronts and LA scala as center (trim it down a touch).  Chorus ones are excellent for the price IMO, but LA scalas are MUCH better given the right room/ equipment.