Winter Storm Harper

Ceptorman

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You guysare amazing at predicting the future.  I predict that you're as accurate as the weatherman. 

I look at these things more like a Climatologist. :) 

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It doesn't take a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...

No, but just like weathermen some need an expert to lead them in the correct direction instead of Farmers Almanac ....That's my take. 

To me what is important is pollution.  Some may say it leads to one thing or another, but dirty air, increased greenhouse gases and crappy water are the main concern.  To bemoan regulation that is meant to preserve a healthy natural environment is to commit slow species suicide.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

scientists caught fudging numbers and getting political makes me less likely to believe them than what I read when the brightest weren't like that.

I believe what you are referring to was one major study that did suffer from what you state above....That said, it was only one study and the rest seem to point in the direction that most Climatologist seem to subscribe....Fwiw, what lead me to research this was a letter bein passed around by supposedly "top scientists," that didn't believe in Climate Change and after looking closer found that most of them weren't even in the field of Climatology. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

To me what is important is pollution.  Some may say it leads to one thing or another, but dirty air, increased greenhouse gases and crappy water are the main concern.  To bemoan regulation that is meant to preserve a healthy natural environment is to commit slow species suicide.

True but why in this country that has the lowest pollution of all the big ones. Why not china, why do they get that 30 year reprieve? Their pollution is exponentially worse daily than the next five worst countries that pollute.

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

In the late 60s and early 70s I read Nat Geo and encyclopedias ravenously.

Huh.... LOTR books in jr high then nada, must've been that triad of s,d, r&r that changed all that.  

All that stated an Ice Age was coming back in the next five or so centuries and that prior to that there would be a lot of fluctuation, sometimes mild sometimes not. So scientists caught fudging numbers and getting political makes me less likely to believe them than what I read when the brightest weren't like that.

Don't the Hurricanes play a big part in the change into the cool months?

Back then the evidence was more sketchy.  50 years later there is more data.  I remember the ice age stuff too.  It was predicated on former swings of climate and had little to do with greenhouse gases as a game changer.  The numbers have been gone over time and again, including the infamous Lamar Alexander accusations, which were also redone.  

4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

True but why in this country that has the lowest pollution of all the big ones. Why not china, why do they get that 30 year reprieve? Their pollution is exponentially worse daily than the next five worst countries that pollute.

We don't vote in China.  Why ask why?  Drink Bud Dry.  We don't live in China either.  My water is more important to me.

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Why not china, why do they get that 30 year reprieve? Their pollution is exponentially that the next five worst countries that pollute.

This is the tricky catch-22 of climate change direction....The reason is that we are the biggest polluters and have reaped tremendous rewards for using natural resources to build our country's wealth. Otoh, 3rd World and other nations see our path and want to duplicate it. The problem lies in that we no a lot more of the Yin/Yang of how our planet works.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

What kind of argument refers to a different local environment than the one we live in?  While global ecology is important, local ecology is more important.  But, but, but, what about India?  FFS, do we live in India?

Fwiw, a Homeland Security or Humanitarian argument could be prudent...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Newsflash---Bob Dylan lyric.

For the youngsters in the crowd, this lyric later inspired the naming of the Weathermen, a name later changed to the Weather Underground.  It was an outgrowth of SDS.  The people I knew who were in SDS understood some of the motivation, but abhorred the means of the Weathermen.  As a pacifist, I also understood their complaints, but none of their actions. 

Whether (not weather) the association between the Weather people's use of the time honored term "underground" and Dylan's use of the word "subterranean" in the song title was noticed by many is unknown, but a little weed helped.

One of my favorite parts of the song could have been self-descriptive of some of the Left back then, and some (perhaps a lower SES part) of the Right, now (right now):

I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

They tried to only affect property, not people in the destruction.  It was consistent with their ideology.  It has been many years, and the actions of the pacifists have not endured much more than the actions of the revolutionaries.  

They tried.  They accidentally killed a few of their own, three, I think.  There was a story about them accidentally killing a janitor who was working the night shift in a building, but I believe that turned out to be untrue.  The possibility of killing someone by accident was there, of course.