Klipsch Heritage Speaker/Brooklyn Apartment

mdm7eb

The Forte III will occupy all-but-the-same floor space as the Heresy but will get over those chairs extremely much better.  The bass is full and DEEP even at whisper-level volumes.  Depending on how you buy them (hint) the price can be inconsequentially different between the two models.  Call Cory and talk to him.  Google "Metropolis Lake Outfitters" for his phone number - he's very responsive.  Of course I'm only about 5 hours from him, but I ordered them on Monday and had the film-wrapped pallet in the back of a semi at a local factory parking lot Wednesday morning (I live on a dead-end street).  The driver even took the pallet to the factory's dumpster for me after helping get them into the back of my truck off of his lift gate.  This is the last time I'll say it here:  just order some new B-stock Forte IIIs from Cory - you will not have any regrets (and no need of a subwoofer).  Scout's honor.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I thought I would share I ordered the Forte III in cherry from Cory at Metropolis Lake Outfitters. I will of course share pictures and impressions when they arrive (probably early next week). Thanks so much again for all the advice and welcoming me to the Klipsch community. I am sure the Forte's might be a bit overkill for my Brooklyn apartment -- but hey, go big or go home? I look forward to entertaining my friends and the neighborhood with my musical selections for years to come.

Malcolm

• Like 9

On 1/18/2019 at 12:38 AM, glens said:

Definitely Forte III as they don't take up all that much more floor space than Heresy.

This.  Forte is just taller than Heresy and has much better bass.  I got a used pair on CL in very good shape for $500.  That's about what used Hersey's generally go for.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mdm7eb said:

Hi all,

I thought I would share I ordered the Forte III in cherry from Cory at Metropolis Lake Outfitters. I will of course share pictures and impressions when they arrive (probably early next week). Thanks so much again for all the advice and welcoming me to the Klipsch community. I am sure the Forte's might be a bit overkill for my Brooklyn apartment -- but hey, go big or go home? I look forward to entertaining my friends and the neighborhood with my musical selections for years to come.

Malcolm

Welcome, and congrats, you made a wise decision. You will enjoy them for years.

• Like 2

These arrived today. I have been enjoying the music -- spinning a lot of vinyl and listening to Tidal. Initial impressions. Both my wife and I experienced some fatigue after listening to them after about an hour. But, I chalk that up to having speakers that can peak at 95-100db and delivers both all the positives and negatives (tired ears) of live music. When listening at normal volumes -- 70-80db, they really show off what they are capable of without the ears feeling it. I really love the dynamics and being able to be immersed and wrapped in the artists performance. I can feel my energy respond to the musicians as their intensity level changes throughout the song. I also think the speakers are voiced very well -- on par with Harbeths I have heard (hl5 plus and c7es3). Acoustic music is very nice. I also can confirm recording quality really matters. That was the case with my Rega's too, but the Forte's go to a whole new level with well sorted and mastered records. I am looking forward to seeing how the bass changes over the next few weeks. It is good, but not earth shattering, about on par with my Rega's (which I find a bit surprising). Overall, I am happy with the purchase and look forward to getting to know my new speakers better in the coming days/weeks. 

IMG_2950.JPG

• Like 2

Fellow Brooklynite,

If you'd like to listen too some Heritage, let me know. I have Klipschorns, Cornwalls and Heresys some RF series also. Also have Fortes in Bay Ridge. Yup running Mc amplification tubes and solid state. I'm in Bath Beach, what section of Brooklyn are you from? I personally would recommend Cornwalls for your space, might have to move things around a bit, but you won't look back.

Joe

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mdm7eb said:

I am looking forward to seeing how the bass changes over the next few weeks. It is good, but not earth shattering, about on par with my Rega's (which I find a bit surprising).

It appears they're out away from their back wall a bit further than would be best for loading the drone.  Play with placement.

• Like 2

I pushed the speakers back closer to the wall/corners. Who knew Klipsch speakers would sound good positioned that way? That has resolved the bass issue and has brought other benefits. Namely, it has broadened the sound stage to take up the entire space between the speakers (much larger/wider), and has tamed the intensity of the horns compared to before. This has resulted in a more life like presentation on a larger variety of recordings -- instead of the best of the best. Overall, very pleased. I don't think I have ever heard speakers that can make music, particularly voices and acoustic music, (small classical, jazz, and folk ensembles) sound so present. Indeed, I think the key feature I am enjoying the most in the speakers is the dramatic dynamic range -- I like I already mentioned above, and still can't quite get over. It is thrilling to hear and experience swings in the energy/loudness of the music as a song ebbs and flows -- especially at lower listening volumes. For me, to sum up the past few days listening to Klipsch speakers, what they do better than everyone else, is allowing you to be present with the music, can't ask for much more than that.

IMG_2965.JPG

Edited by mdm7eb
  • Like 8

On 1/28/2019 at 9:11 PM, JJT said:

Fellow Brooklynite,

If you'd like to listen too some Heritage, let me know. I have Klipschorns, Cornwalls and Heresys some RF series also. Also have Fortes in Bay Ridge. Yup running Mc amplification tubes and solid state. I'm in Bath Beach, what section of Brooklyn are you from? I personally would recommend Cornwalls for your space, might have to move things around a bit, but you won't look back.

Joe

Thanks for the offer Joe. Cornwalls probably would have fit and would have been fun. But I am very happy with the Forte's. I am by Brooklyn Museum on the edge of Crown Heights/Prospect Heights. If you are ever interested in stopping by and listening to the new Forte's let me know. Someday I would love to hear the Klipschhorns and Cornwalls.  

Yeah, that's better.  Plus it gives you more room to use for yourself.

I saw it mentioned somewhere recently that there are basically two kinds of speakers.  Those that create the illusion that "you are there" and those that do "they are here" (the musicians).  I don't know if I entirely agree but it is an interesting observation.  It sounds like you're liking the "they are here" aspect.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mdm7eb said:

I pushed the speakers back closer to the wall/corners. Who knew Klipsch speakers would sound good positioned that way? That has resolved the bass issue and has brought other benefits. Namely, it has broadened the sound stage to take up the entire space between the speakers (much larger/wider), and has tamed the intensity of the horns compared to before. This has resulted in a more life like presentation on a larger variety of recordings -- instead of the best of the best. Overall, very pleased. I don't think I have ever heard speakers that can make music, particularly voices and acoustic music, (small classical, jazz, and folk ensembles) sound so present. Indeed, I think the key feature I am enjoying the most in the speakers is the dramatic dynamic range -- I like I already mentioned above, and still can't quite get over. It is thrilling to hear and experience swings in the energy/loudness of the music as a song ebbs and flows -- especially at lower listening volumes. For me, to sum up the past few days listening to Klipsch speakers, what they do better than everyone else, is allowing you to be present with the music, can't ask for much more than that.

IMG_2965.JPG

HAHA Im glad to see that you positioned them in this way... I was going to suggest that but thought you'd get around to it on our own. Glad you did and you're enjoying them. Have fun. 

• Like 1