Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
mopardave

gold lion 12ax7 gold pin AB Audcom 12ax7 chinese

Recommended Posts

Rolling some more tubes.   Just got these Gold Lions today. The Audcom 12ax7's came in the amp, but have very low hrs.    So far kind of hard to tell, but I think the Chinese (Audcom) tubes sound a bit better than the Gold Lion.  Its very close, but I do believe the Audcom tube is a tad more revealing.   I'm very surprised the Chinese tube is this good and to think all those years they were in the closet, but then again that decision was made while powering my Cornwalls with this amp. Now on my Super Heresy.   I'll keep running the Gold Lion and maybe they will come around with time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave the gold lions take about 20-30 hrs to fully open up and then it's a wow moment

You will love the lions

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think any new production tube sounds as good as vintage tubes. My favorite is the Amperex Holland tubes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

Dave the gold lions take about 20-30 hrs to fully open up and then it's a wow moment

You will love the lions emoji6.png

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk
 

Cool!  Good to here that after paying $65 for them.  After listening for 5hrs and back and forth comparisons with the original 12ax7 they bring on the smooth creamy tone just like the kt77 gold lion I currently use.  Seems to be what gold lion is known for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your correct they are very smooth, at first my initial thought was they sound a little loose, but they definitely tighten up alot, and bass becomes realy nice,

I was using the 12au7 primaluna tubes and thought they were a little harsh on the top, the Gold Lions solved this issue and added a little more substance

They are very nice and im really happy with them

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Deano1974 said:

Your correct they are very smooth, at first my initial thought was they sound a little loose, but they definitely tighten up alot, and bass becomes realy nice,

I was using the 12au7 primaluna tubes and thought they were a little harsh on the top, the Gold Lions solved this issue and added a little more substance

They are very nice and im really happy with them

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
 

Glad to here that.  they will be burning all day today too.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 2:13 PM, mopardave said:

Glad to here that.  they will be burning all day today too.   

Coming up on 20hrs on these GL 12ax7's.   They are sounding very nice.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats great news, whats the biggest difference you are hearing?

 

 

 

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

Thats great news, whats the biggest difference you are hearing?

 

 

 

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

I can't really explain it.  The speakers sound just the way I would like them too.  Good low bass, mid bass, vocals and strings are very revealing.   I listen to the Judds and the Rippingtons and the music just seems real.    Really enjoy listening.   Never thought these Heresy's would sound this good.    I think the port in the Super Heresy along with the B&C DE120 tweeters then matching tubes to them has really paid big dividends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you nailed it, yes everything just sounds right and real

Very hapoy for you, enjoy!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

I think you nailed it, yes everything just sounds right and real

Very hapoy for you, enjoy!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
 

Thanks Deano.  After listening to the GL 12ax7 gold pins 30 plus hrs I rolled the Audcom original Chinese 12ax7's back in.  Everything seemed louder.  I listened though a few songs before deciding even thou they are very good, they are not as enjoyable to listen to as the Gold Lion's.  I think the GL 12ax7 is a tab warmer making it easy on the ear.    The two tubes are close,but the clear winner is the Gold  Lion.     

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks Deano.  After listening to the GL 12ax7 gold pins 30 plus hrs I rolled the Audcom original Chinese 12ax7's back in.  Everything seemed louder.  I listened though a few songs before deciding even thou they are very good, they are not as enjoyable to listen to as the Gold Lion's.  I think the GL 12ax7 is a tab warmer making it easy on the ear.    The two tubes are close,but the clear winner is the Gold  Lion.     
I agree the Gold Lions seem alot more natural to me, and they dont have the fatiguing harshness that many other tubes seem to have, im really enjoying them and can see myself using these for a long long time

Im spending alot more time in the listening room now since installing the GL's so that tells me alot

Enjoy brother enjoy!

Cheers

Deano



Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

I agree the Gold Lions seem alot more natural to me, and they dont have the fatiguing harshness that many other tubes seem to have, im really enjoying them and can see myself using these for a long long time

Im spending alot more time in the listening room now since installing the GL's so that tells me alot

Enjoy brother enjoy!

Cheers

Deano



Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
 

I agree. The listening is almost addicting now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...