My new K-horns setup needs your help.

pallpoul

On 1/17/2019 at 10:57 PM, pallpoul said:

I have few amps, some SS some Tubes, and have no previous experience with the K-horns, I am hoping you can please help me choose the one that would best match with them, I own a few amp, here's a list.  

3-Yamaha A-S1100

Yes Congrats!  They are beautiful. 

From you amp list, I run a pair of LaScalas with the Yahama A-S 1100 and I am very happy.  So I would think the KH would be comparable. It has power for the bass (my LS are not placed directly in corners) and the detail is wonderful.  It’s not a smooth warm sound, but I want sharpness and detail.  To get the most optimal sound I had to work more on placement.

On 1/18/2019 at 6:57 AM, pallpoul said:

I am the blessed new owner of a brand new pair of Klipschorns 70th Anniversary edition, that arrived today on crates and still in boxes.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn-70th-anniversary-edition

I have the perfect room for them, with matching corners,  room is an open living/kitchen with about 30#15#12 foot ceilings.

I have few amps, some SS some Tubes, and have no previous experience with the K-horns, I am hoping you can please help me choose the one that would best match with them, I own a few amp, here's a list.  

1- Cary Audio CAD-120 MKII ( with the SL-100 pre and Dac 200 from Cary Audio)

2-Prima Luna dialogue HP. original tubes.

3-Yamaha A-S1100

4- Pair of Emotiva XPA-1 Gen 2.

5- Musical Paradise MP-501 V5 with KT-150's ( or the kt-120's)

6- Onkyo M-504. 

7- Yamaha A-S2000

8- Yaquin amps, with KT-34's, or KT-88's, Bewitched Amp with 6550's tubes.

9- Onkyo 9150, and 9050, and NAD C316BEE V2

10- McIntosh MA5300 Integrated Amp.

Please advise. 

Tysm.

Erm why can't you just try them all and get your own opinion?.. Your ears are the best advisers you can get...

4 hours ago, RAzZin said:

Erm why can't you just try them all and get your own opinion?.. Your ears are the best advisers you can get...

I thought current owners of k-horns, who have experience with those speakers, may have some recommendations as to which amp type or make may mate better with the k-horns, so I can setup my system.

I totally understand at the end it is my ears, my preferences, etc.. 

So far some helpful advise and some answers make me wish I never asked the question.

I will try one by one, as suggested,  and will decide which sounds better to my ears and in my setup

Ty all for all the advise. appreciate it.

• Like 1

Not knowing your amps, are they mono?

Could you listen in mono for while....hooking one amp to left another amp to right?

If so, it might allow you to go through them faster and you can do a quick 'a/b' with them to perhaps confirm a gut feeling??

Just tossing spaghetti on your walls to see if anything sticks.

(actually, I just love tossing spaghetti on peoples walls! :emotion-14: )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

Not knowing your amps, are they mono?

Could you listen in mono for while....hooking one amp to left another amp to right?

If so, it might allow you to go through them faster and you can do a quick 'a/b' with them to perhaps confirm a gut feeling??

Just tossing spaghetti on your walls to see if anything sticks.

(actually, I just love tossing spaghetti on peoples walls! :emotion-14: )

If you do what @Coytee suggests (a good idea IMO) and you find that the amp on the left really sounds better, then switch the speaker cables (L-> R, R->L) to confirm it is really the amp, and not just that side of the room that sounds better (in conjunction with those amps).

Few rooms are symmetrical in layout, reflectivity, etc.  Don't move anything sizeable in the room during these trials.

How's that for spaghetti?

On 1/22/2019 at 10:01 PM, pallpoul said:

I thought current owners of k-horns, who have experience with those speakers, may have some recommendations as to which amp type or make may mate better with the k-horns, so I can setup my system.

I totally understand at the end it is my ears, my preferences, etc.. 

So far some helpful advise and some answers make me wish I never asked the question.

I will try one by one, as suggested,  and will decide which sounds better to my ears and in my setup

Ty all for all the advise. appreciate it.

Well Cary and McIntosh are indeed the most obvious choices from your list as mentioned above, but only your ears will tell you what will suit you most. Good luck with your auditions!

Well since your a new owner of Ks I would be more concerned do you have them sealed to the corner vertically and horizontally with pipe foam . I had mine for years powered with a HK 430 reciever from the 70s with 24 watts. But I think they need a few more watts to really shine. 

I was wondering if these were from Cory he said he sold a pair. 

You didn't say what you had before a lot of new Klipsch owners think they are bright so tone controls would be recommended. 

Then I would make sure the first 5 watts are clean such as the McIntosh would probably guarantee.

I also have my LaScalas run with a Dynaco ST70 rebuilt tube amp that sounds awesome but for home theater may not be suitable. Does not have enough reserve power for movies.

I have my K-Horns hooked to an Integra AVR right now cause they are part of home theater but I also listen to 2 channel on them also. The Integra allows you to switch to 2 channel and has a great equalizer set up. 

2 hours ago, glens said:

Damn!

But the notion I expressed does have some merit.

Some merit, perhaps.  But the some of the amplifiers from his list will sound so vastly different from others, that features take a distant back seat.

And keep in mind that most of the time "features" will degrade sonics. You makes your choices and you puts your $$$ down........

Shakey

5 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I’m surprised people aren’t all over the Prima Luna. Have read nothing but good about them.

Love mine!  Had it for about 6 months and it sounds great!  Planning to step away from the integrated sometime soon.  We'll see though!  lol

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Love mine!  Had it for about 6 months and it sounds great!  Planning to step away from the integrated sometime soon.  We'll see though!  lol

I have a client in town with a killer set up. He has had me over for a few listening sessions ( that’s Canadian for drinking beer with an excuse that the wife will buy). He has one hooked up to a pair of Proacs. Beyond incredible, especially with a few SACDS thrown into the mix.

• Like 1

I’m surprised people aren’t all over the Prima Luna. Have read nothing but good about them.
I am lol, as in the photo below

Mine are PrimaLuna Dialogue HP Power Amps driving La Scala II's - Phenomenal in every single way, takes my breath away everytime I listen 4af0c708072a88dee9acd2a33202c892.jpg

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ty all for your inputs. I think I am going to start with the Cary setup, when I get to it.

For now, I am excited to have unboxed the K-horns. Not Setup or moved to place yet. I attached few pictures.

Those babies are huge, heavy, and Gorgeous in person. 

khorns unwrapping.jpg

khorns unwrapping2.jpg

khorns unwrapping3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1