SOLD 2019 LaScala AL-5 ME Edition SOLD

8 hours ago, seti said:

Questioning a speaker made since 1963 with how many still in operation???.... I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing 8-)

The La Scalas do seem to hold up.  A pair of 1974 black-painted La Scalas (modded only by having Crites CT125 tweeters and Sonicaps installed) serve as surround speakers in my system, while a pair of 2007 Lacquered Walnut La Scala IIs (upgraded to 402 JubScala II spec) serve as main Left and Right speakers.  The ‘74s have a few scuffs, as you would expect, but the ‘07 LS2s are near mint.   All four sound great.

Does anyone know what has been changed for the new AL-5 ME version?

Not sure all the changes. These are definite. 

1.Crossover

2.Tweeter and HF horn

3.25 pounds heavier than LSii. 

4.Binding plate and internal wiring.

The top is supposedly made of 1 inch up from 3/4 inch. I would not think that added 25 pounds. Maybe half that. Never looked, but if LSii top hat is plywood and these are MDF that might be 25 pounds per speaker.

I watched the video. Seeing the sheet of open cell foam being stuffed in doghouse is interesting. I want some in my LSii. 

Can only think this is to damp a ringing that have found with measurements. Whether acoustic or done with an accelerometer. 

9 hours ago, Panelhead said:

Seeing the sheet of open cell foam being stuffed in doghouse is interesting. I want some in my LSii. 

Can only think this is to damp a ringing that have found with measurements. Whether acoustic or done with an accelerometer. 

Both of my LSii's have had foam in the doghouse. Heresy ii's, Forte ii's and iirc my Chorus ii's do as well. The foam that I have seen so far seems to be fairly standard and inexpensive. 

The usual purpose of sheet foam in a speaker cabinet is to add “virtual volume” to it.  It gives the effect of a larger cabinet, without adding size or weight.  As well, the engineer designing the speaker can easily experiment with the amount of foam until he or she is satisfied with the result.

9 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

He or she*

You’re right, in theory, and I stand corrected.  In practice, the number of female speaker engineers is very small, maybe even close to nonexistent, which is why I went with just  “he”.  However, the industry could always use more, or even some, lady engineers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Islander said:

You’re right, in theory, and I stand corrected.  In practice, the number of female speaker engineers is very small, maybe even close to nonexistent, which is why I went with just  “he”.  However, the industry could always use more, or even some, lady engineers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

I've bugged @MetropolisLakeOutfitters several times about it. I have since layed off of bugging him about it....hint hint

I have ordered Cornwall III grills directly through Klipsch myself and besides the lonnnnnnng wait on hold it was an easy process. Their prices were very fair. I also need a pair of Chorus passives and will be ordering Forte III passives, per chief Bonehead I believe, as replacements.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 4:35 PM, finallygotmyheresies said:

Both of my LSii's have had foam in the doghouse. Heresy ii's, Forte ii's and iirc my Chorus ii's do as well. The foam that I have seen so far seems to be fairly standard and inexpensive. 

Good to know. Guess that is some of Roy’s fine tuning.

I getting together a list of things to look at when opening mine up.