SOLD 2019 LaScala AL-5 ME Edition SOLD

• Moderators
On 1/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, jimjimbo said:

No photos of the La Scala?

Here is a cool video Klipsch just did on the AL-5, these are of course the standard beautuful factory editions available in 3 finishes.

The Museum Editions will be in the black limba with custom matched grille cloth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

864206806_bottomhomeplate.jpg.5e4d84b89eb2612f26e6cb424208bd17.jpg247771074_bottomhomeplate.thumb.jpg.e02d07cef068736fd83cc3f9f9e91aff.jpg

The video should be of interest to home builders because it shows two extra pieces which make assembly easier IMHO.  It appears to me that the doghouse is pre-assembled before being inserted in the bottom box.  There are “home plate” shaped pieces at the top and at the bottom.  Must make it easier to get a good seal inside the box. 

The driver is set in place before assembly.  The bottom home plate piece has a rounded home plate cut-out about ¾ inches smaller all around to allow driver replacement and the bottom hatch is screwed into the bottom home plate of the dog house. The bottom hatch corresponds to the cut-out in the bottom board of the box, so it is flush.   The photo above and the assembly video are better than my description..

I don’t see any glue to hold the doghouse and first flare into place and it is just screwed.  ???  Maybe the ramps get a bit of glue before the back goes on???

They’re using doubled up feed wire to the drivers?  Seems like overkill to me.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 1:40 PM, WMcD said:

864206806_bottomhomeplate.jpg.5e4d84b89eb2612f26e6cb424208bd17.jpg247771074_bottomhomeplate.thumb.jpg.e02d07cef068736fd83cc3f9f9e91aff.jpg

I saw mention that the new wire used is an Audioquest Star Quad. To use the quad feature the opposing wires are connected. So it is doubled. 

This is designed to reduce the pickup of electromagnetic fields by the wire. 

The gauge should be no more overkill than the 12 ga or so wire used in my La Scala II. I think 20 ga would work fine.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:40 AM, WMcD said:

The video should be of interest to home builders because it shows two extra pieces which make assembly easier IMHO.  It appears to me that the doghouse is pre-assembled before being inserted in the bottom box.  There are “home plate” shaped pieces at the top and at the bottom.  Must make it easier to get a good seal inside the box. 

The driver is set in place before assembly.  The bottom home plate piece has a rounded home plate cut-out about ¾ inches smaller all around to allow driver replacement and the bottom hatch is screwed into the bottom home plate of the dog house. The bottom hatch corresponds to the cut-out in the bottom board of the box, so it is flush.   The photo above and the assembly video are better than my description..

I don’t see any glue to hold the doghouse and first flare into place and it is just screwed.  ???  Maybe the ramps get a bit of glue before the back goes on???

This speaker is a current production model, not a kit for "home builders".  Do you think it's appropriate to encourage people to make knockoffs of current premium-level Klipsch speakers on the Klipsch forum? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There maybe nothing wrong with the observation and statement, but perhaps it would be better served in a thread sensitive manner. 

I like the idea of a "cassette" construction as long that sub assembly doesn't resonate. I am sure the engineers did their homework.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, WMcD said:

"Must make it easier to get a good seal inside the box"....actually it is most likely to ensure that air leaks from within the doghouse body don't occur...due to over-pressure and under-pressure caused by speaker cone excursion within the doghouse.  This design for assembly pretty much eliminates that being able to happen

"I don't see any glue to hold the doghouse and first flare into place and it is just screwed"   I don't either, but it may not actually be necessary since the doghouse is already sealed...with the exception to that being that there MIGHT be a possibility for a "buzzing" to occur, since no glue is being used between the bass bin top and bottom panels and the upper and lower "home-plate" panels of the pre-fabricated doghouse section.  I am sure Roy has that covered, though...somehow.  Even the mighty K-horn didn't need a TOTAL seal to the corner of the room for the bass horn lens to function quite well.

My other observation is the splitter being used....is it still triangular or is it now a "t-bar" style of construction?  Even though it would be production-cost prohibitive, I still believe that the splitter could do with a custom fit (notched) to the wings of the first flare of the bass horn...I have done that before and feel that is may or may not make a difference, but I did it anyway....because it provides for a smoother transition of the sound wave at its point of bifurcation.  If it is a "t-bar" type assembly, I would like to know...I find that change very interesting.

At this point in time, with the newest changes to the cabinet assembly combined with the previous techniques for the LaScala II, the possibility of the cabinet being assembled with any kind of "twist" to it has been pretty much TOTALLY eliminated...especially so when compared to the original design of the LaScala cabinet.  Lots of improvements over the years have been incorporated...great job, Klipsch engineering! (that means YOU, ROY!)

I kinda wonder about the new doghouse sub-assembly, though....nothing negative, but it leaves the door wide-open to a professional model which may have modifications to its bass bin box side panels to end up something like yet another flare for the bass horn lens or something????...I gotta talk to Roy about this at the gathering...

• Moderators
On 2/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, Schu said:

There maybe nothing wrong with the observation and statement, but perhaps it would be better served in a thread sensitive manner. 

I like the idea of a "cassette" construction as long that sub assembly doesn't resonate. I am sure the engineers did their homework.

@Chief bonehead always does his homework.