RP 600M Speaker Stands

mrjuan914

Here is a pair of RP-600M on VTI stands, 18 inch.  For perspective they are beside a Vizio PQ65, the audio cabinet is 30" tall.  I just threw this together for pics  a half hour ago so cables are all over. 

FYI the VTI's are expensive but they feature cable management inside the legs, have spikes and they are designed so the tubes can be filled with sand.  I've seen the Monoprice Glass stands ^^^ on the website and they look very much like a two tube version of the VTI's I have.

RP-600M light_small2.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mrjuan914 said:

would you recommend keeping the stands at 18"?   I am mainly going to use them for 2 channel listening.

Man, your questions and comments are going to fit perfectly into the next thread I am planning on regarding the RP-600M vs the RF-83's!  Good question.

I've been listening to the RP-600'Ms now in the Mancave doing 2.0 and 3.1 listening with an RC-64 III in the middle.  They do have some limitations but they fit very well acoustically with the big center speaker, and work really well in 2.0.

I just moved the RP-600M to the living room so I haven't tested it fully in 2.0, but I do have some comments.

In the Mancave the RP600M was not set up properly, nearfield above my head on their sides but pushed with a 200 wpc XPA-5 external amp.  The had an articulate mid-range, really good highs and surprisingly strong mid-bass.  These absolutely can stand on their own as a stereo pair in 2.0.

I found the limitations to be that they were fairly thin at lower power levels, but what speaker isn't?  They have a real sweet spot around med to loud where they sound friggin' unbelievable with a full, very balanced sound.  Male and female vocals are pleasant and clear.  Bass guitar has some punch and can give you a chest thump.  That's unheard of for a pair of bookshelf speakers with 6.5" woofers.

I'll tell you something else they do; they image like you would not believe.  I simply plugged them in without being setup and Judge Judy was on TV as I plugged everything in.  In my picture below you can see the speakers are a bit below the TV, but I swear when I first heard them the sound was coming exactly from the center of the TV.  It sounded better than with my dedicated MTM center speaker w/7" Usher woofers, which is no slouch.  I had to recheck my AVR to make sure the center was turned off.  It was.  That phantom center with the RP-600M blew the RF-83's away.  I couldn't believe it.

The other limitation is if you try to get crazy loud.  They play nicely loud but if you push it to ear bleed levels (which they will handle power-wise) they become a bit unbalanced as the top end gets a bit compressed and you lose dynamics.  Understand, I am being super-picky here.  The RP-600M has a fantastic sound in the SPL range where 90% of us listen.  It sounds live! with some punch in its sweet spot.

I am about to try them as mains myself where I'll use them in 2.0, then add a single 15" sub, then add a nice dome tweeter MTM center for multi-channel.  So far they have handled everything I've thrown at them.  I'm interested in how they will do with the sub engaged.

+++

Geez, I almost forgot about your original question, what height stands do I recommend?  From my seated position they are slightly below axis.  I think I would like to try them higher at ear level, which means another 6 inches high, which means a 24 inch stand.  I'll experiment with that.  As they sound right now on their current 18" stands, slightly below center I can tell you they sound great. 

Edit:  I just checked the Monoprice web site on the Glass stands @RTR linked to.  They are listed at 23.6 inches.  Those are the ones to go for.

In 2.0 it sounds like Judge Judy is yelling at the litigants directly from her mouth in the center of the screen, crystal clear.  B)

RP-600M Judge Judy_small2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Man, your questions and comments are going to fit perfectly into the next thread I am planning on regarding the RP-600M vs the RF-83's!  Good question.

I've been listening to the RP-600'Ms now in the Mancave doing 2.0 and 3.1 listening with an RC-64 III in the middle.  They do have some limitations but they fit very well acoustically with the big center speaker, and work really well in 2.0.

I just moved the RP-600M to the living room so I haven't tested it fully in 2.0, but I do have some comments.

In the Mancave the RP600M was not set up properly, nearfield above my head on their sides but pushed with a 200 wpc XPA-5 external amp.  The had an articulate mid-range, really good highs and surprisingly strong mid-bass.  These absolutely can stand on their own as a stereo pair in 2.0.

I found the limitations to be that they were fairly thin at lower power levels, but what speaker isn't?  They have a real sweet spot around med to loud where they sound friggin' unbelievable with a full, very balanced sound.  Male and female vocals are pleasant and clear.  Bass guitar has some punch and can give you a chest thump.  That's unheard of for a pair of bookshelf speakers with 6.5" woofers.

I'll tell you something else they do; they image like you would not believe.  I simply plugged them in without being setup and Judge Judy was on TV as I plugged everything in.  In my picture below you can see the speakers are a bit below the TV, but I swear when I first heard them the sound was coming exactly from the center of the TV.  It sounded better than with my dedicated MTM center speaker w/7" Usher woofers, which is no slouch.  I had to recheck my AVR to make sure the center was turned off.  It was.  That phantom center with the RP-600M blew the RF-83's away.  I couldn't believe it.

The other limitation is if you try to get crazy loud.  They play nicely loud but if you push it to ear bleed levels (which they will handle power-wise) they become a bit unbalanced as the top end gets a bit compressed and you lose dynamics.  Understand, I am being super-picky here.  The RP-600M has a fantastic sound in the SPL range where 90% of us listen.  It sounds live! with some punch in its sweet spot.

I am about to try them as mains myself where I'll use them in 2.0, then add a single 15" sub, then add a nice dome tweeter MTM center for multi-channel.  So far they have handled everything I've thrown at them.  I'm interested in how they will do with the sub engaged.

+++

Geez, I almost forgot about your original question, what height stands do I recommend?  From my seated position they are slightly below axis.  I think I would like to try them higher at ear level, which means another 6 inches high, which means a 24 inch stand.  I'll experiment with that.  As they sound right now on their current 18" stands, slightly below center I can tell you they sound great. 

Edit:  I just checked the Monoprice web site on the Glass stands @RTR linked to.  They are listed at 23.6 inches.  Those are the ones to go for.

In 2.0 it sounds like Judge Judy is yelling at the litigants directly from her mouth in the center of the screen, crystal clear.  B)

RP-600M Judge Judy_small2.jpg

Getting off track here.  Everything you say about the RP600’s applies to my previous generation RP-160M’s. Fantastic speakers for the price. I bought them for my hopefully soon retirement place down south til I get my main system down there.  Paired them up with a cheap  RC62 center and they sound awesome for the price. As you said, soundstage is amazing and they sound good as LR for home theater. 

Anyone at at work that talks about getting home theatre system I recommend these to them. Great place to start with sound system.

• Like 1

Fantastic, thank you very much for the recommendations and comments. I think I am going to rise them to a 24" stand because I want to make sure the treble and mid range is a little higher since I am looking to also listen to them while I am up and around the room. As oppose to just sitting in a home theater type of setting. I am planning to add in  subwoofer at some point so that it picks up some of the lower ranges that the RP-600M does not. They are beautiful speakers and with the piano finish it really tops it off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RTR said:

Getting off track here.  Everything you say about the RP600’s applies to my previous generation RP-160M’s.

I've heard comments for years about the RP-160's and owners just rave about them and now I know why.  As you say mine might have the latest letters and numbers in the model number but the RP-600M is 99% the same as the RP-160M and that's good.

Here, I corrected your sentence:  "Fantastic speakers for the price.

These things are just flat-out great.  Truly a Klipsch best-kept secret.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, mrjuan914 said:

Fantastic, thank you very much for the recommendations and comments. I think I am going to rise them to a 24" stand because I want to make sure the treble and mid range is a little higher since I am looking to also listen to them while I am up and around the room. As oppose to just sitting in a home theater type of setting. I am planning to add in  subwoofer at some point so that it picks up some of the lower ranges that the RP-600M does not. They are beautiful speakers and with the piano finish it really tops it off.

18 would be good for seated, 24 for as you say, up and about more than critical seated listening.

Quest stands are worth looking at. I use a pair - used to have two but gave a set away with a pair of RB 61 IIs. They have several models, are metal and well made. I'd recommend the 24”to get the tweeters up to ear level. You may have to look around a bit to find them down there. This is the model I use.

https://www.amazon.ca/Quest-EM500-Scratch-Resistant-Speaker-Stands/dp/B00U9T8AZ4