Fisher KX-200 vs McIntosh MA-6100 (feedback)

escorial

Hi,

I know its apples and oranges tube vs transistor but I would like to hear from anyone who has owned both amps??

Currently I have the KX-200 w/ the FM 200 that has just been fully serviced and sounds like a dream 😉 But I have always wanted to own a decent Mac. IN the past I have owned the Mac 4100 and the 2505 and was really not overly impressed with either. It seems that the 6100 is about the only 1 in my price range...

Besides those my other receivers are the Luxman 115 and 117 and again both sound fantastic, but getting back to the 6100 does it actually sound like a tube unit or?

So would really like to hear from owners that have had or currently have both the KX-200 and the MA6100

Surprised at your impression of the MAC 4100, and the 2505 (which is the same amp as the MC250, but has meters....)  Were the MAC 4100 and 2505 fully restored?  Here's a relevant copied post from another forum to which I subscribe and agree....The reason I point this out is that the MAC 4100 has the same internal preamp and amp as the 6200, and is widely considered one of Mcintosh's superior products.

The MA 6200 is a solid performer with a sterling reputation for delivering all the performance expected of McIntosh, with the proviso that it has been fully serviced and recapped as the newest is approaching 40 years of age. 

MA 6200 represents a number of significant engineering advancements over the earlier generation MA 5100/6100 line. Two of the most important are Power Guard which allows full power without the danger of clipping and precision tracking volume control and of course, the C Variable Loudness, which sadly, McIntosh has omitted from its more recent product offerings. 

I had always been mistakenly under the impression that the MA 6200 also used FET input switching but as it turns out this is not the case. Ironically the MAC 4100 receiver does have the feature, just like TOTL McIntosh components. 

In short, one would be hard pressed to find an owner who is/was disappointed with his MA 6200.