Eye Opener

T2K

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Keith---saw a new bit of the same old info today.  40% of americans don't have the savings to handle an unexpected expense of $400.  50% of americans have no retirement savings.  The worst bit is that 33% of working americans do not even have access to a 401K or other retirement savings vehicle through the work place.  Not only that---it's raining here again...

I worked from my 24th year until I retired with overworked always tired edgy dudes. We never talked about finances. So I was mildly shocked by the results on workers during the first shutdown. The disappearance  of pensions, underfunding of SS and Medicare, high cost of health care, drug prices, low wages and those things you mention are a recipe for a future disaster. Of course those that are not currently affected are not as concerned but the thing is that ALL working stiffs will be affected and they will pay in the future. It's a giant forming cluster.

Related: Talked to a guy the other day about widow's benefits. He was motivated. Couldn't get him off the phone. I commented that he must enjoy his job. He said he loved it and told me about his previous job. He said he had worked with people that earned 6 figures, even 6 figures two or three times over. He said they seemed no happier or better off than he was. I told him as people move up the economic chain they just buy a bigger house, a newer car(S) a boat or whatever, maintain their indebtedness on a higher scale. Anyway, he quit after one year. Stress.

We'll see what happens this Friday. Current events are funnier now than real TV. You just can't make this s**t up.

Keith

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, T2K said:

I worked from my 24th year until I retired with overworked always tired edgy dudes. We never talked about finances. So I was mildly shocked by the results on workers during the first shutdown. The disappearance  of pensions, underfunding of SS and Medicare, high cost of health care, drug prices, low wages and those things you mention are a recipe for a future disaster. Of course those that are not currently affected are not as concerned but the thing is that ALL working stiffs will be affected and they will pay in the future. It's a giant forming cluster.

Related: Talked to a guy the other day about widow's benefits. He was motivated. Couldn't get him off the phone. I commented that he must enjoy his job. He said he loved it and told me about his previous job. He said he had worked with people that earned 6 figures, even 6 figures two or three times over. He said they seemed no happier or better off than he was. I told him as people move up the economic chain they just buy a bigger house, a newer car(S) a boat or whatever, maintain their indebtedness on a higher scale. Anyway, he quit after one year. Stress.

We'll see what happens this Friday. Current events are funnier now than real TV. You just can't make this s**t up.

Keith

I recall a study a few years back.  They wanted to find out the relationship between money and happiness.  At that time the magic number was between 100 and 150k annually.  Any more and people were obsessed with getting more.  Any less and people worried about having enough for bills and everyday expenses.

Hey Carl I thought about you earlier. I've got Camaro and Challenger literature from 2013. I've waited patiently since then for the cars to mature into what I want. They got there in 2018. For background, I usually offer a fair price for a car and allow 45 minutes before I shake the salesman's hand and walk out. The last car I bought I called a dealer 50 miles away and asked him to write down his Stock # and my out the door price. Call me back within one hour. He called back and said it would be ready at 3:00PM.

Talked to a out-of-state salesman last week via the www. Few sentences but to the point. Got the old canned response. DELETE. Do salespersons out your way talk the talk or is it still the same old hours long Dealership BS.

Keith

15 hours ago, T2K said:

Do salespersons out your way talk the talk or is it still the same old hours long Dealership BS.

It's hard to get an out the door price on a stock unit.  Really the only way to compare prices is to build one in the vehicle configurator like you're going to order one.  Call the dealers and give them the options you want and ask for a price or percentage off msrp that they'd sell it for.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:27 AM, CECAA850 said:

It's hard to get an out the door price on a stock unit.  Really the only way to compare prices is to build one in the vehicle configurator like you're going to order one.  Call the dealers and give them the options you want and ask for a price or percentage off msrp that they'd sell it for.

Thanks Carl. I'm respectful of salespersons and walk in as educated as I can be and offer a fair price. I just refuse to participate is a process that kills the enjoyment of buying a car. It's worked for me since 1994. We'll see. Take care.

Keith