Using Equalizer on KI 396

jwc

Not yet JWC but I may in the future when I install the xilica. I dont really feel it needs to much equalization very smooth to my ears and the bass has a nice punch to it. I have not run sweeps yet to get in room resonse but will when I add the F20.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:46 AM, rockhound said:

I dont really feel it needs to much equalization very smooth to my ears and the bass has a nice punch to it. I have not run sweeps yet to get in room resonse but will when I add the F20.

396 is definitely punchy but not low.  Absolutely needs a sub.

28 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

396 is definitely punchy but not low.  Absolutely needs a sub.

Absolutely agree.   I am in love with the sound of them, but without a sub, there is a giant hole in the bottom octaves that sucks the life out of music a bit.   My opinion, no EQ needed.   Put of curiosity, do you feel a need to EQ them?  If I am casually listening at quite low volumes, I MAY boost treble a touch. Hoping cable swapping will take care of this and brighten system up a bit for my taste. 

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Absolutely agree.   I am in love with the sound of them, but without a sub, there is a giant hole in the bottom octaves that sucks the life out of music a bit.   My opinion, no EQ needed.   Put of curiosity, do you feel a need to EQ them?  If I am casually listening at quite low volumes, I MAY boost treble a touch. Hoping cable swapping will take care of this and brighten system up a bit for my taste. 

I've not EQ'd mine but have added a sub.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:02 AM, jwc said:

Anyone here use an equalizer with 396 to tweak the bass?

YES , applyingan Xilica XP-2040 on a Pair of Ki-396's.  

I was disappointed, hearing these right out of the box, ...but Cory Harrison suggest I give them a  break-in period.

The speaker didn't come alive to me, ...until I placed them in my acoustically treated Jubilee room upstair and gave then a serious DSP treatment.

With a little struggle i finally got them within 2db of Flat response,

...then added a little of a House Curve to give them some extension on their lows, ...before adding my Danley TH-50 in, for the Sub Sonic duties. 

I have only had these Ki-396's for a few days now, and am liking what I finally am hearing,  ...thanx to my Xilica DSP applications. 

Rock on, 

Craig

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Born2RockU said:

I have only had these Ki-396's for a few days now, and am liking what I finally am hearing,  ...thanx to my Xilica DSP applications

Well to each his or her own, but glad you like them, as do I and several others. 

OK.  So what is the groups prediction of how low this box is tuned to?

Is it not tuned to 35-40Hz in an "undersized box" giving it the soft knee drop on the low end?  If so, can't there be low end EQ added say a PEQ at 40Hz without introducing distortion?  You may look at the curve and think it is tuned to 60Hz.  If it is tuned to 60Hz...then you would introduce distortion.  This is my understanding.  Clear me up on this.

Who wants to measure the length of the port and the diameter?

BTW....I'm only asking about adding EQ to the low end only.  Not about trying to flatten the curve or adjust the highs.  NO interest in this.

jc

39 minutes ago, jwc said:

BTW....I'm only asking about adding EQ to the low end only.

I don't know.  As they sit, the ports put out a ton of air at certain frequencies when cranked.  Adding boost to the low end is really going to tax the drivers.

I've found that mine sound best with the garage door open where they can breathe and the doors reflective surface removed.  These things need room to operate as they were designed for large venues.  I can see where people are having issues with them enclosed in rooms.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jwc said:

You may look at the curve and think it is tuned to 60Hz.  If it is tuned to 60Hz...then you would introduce distortion.  This is my understanding.  Clear me up on this.

Adding EQ below the tuning frequency of the box does 2 things.  First, it makes the woofer operate out of it's designed parameters by moving farther than it's x-max.  Secondly, that will create chuffing at the port and possibly damage the driver.  More motion also creates more distortion.  These speakers need a sub.

My $0.02:  Bass reflex boxes don't really lend themselves to below-Fc boost, since the phase of the port begins to be really out of phase to the woofer (which is where the dramatic group delay and phase growth come from).

You could seal the port, then apply boost... 🤔

Chris

BTW, it looks from the cut sheet that the port resonant freq. is like 60-70 Hz.  Below that point, it's really no man's land...unless you put them in room corners or build false corners for them.

Chris

I would if I had one around. You could measure the diameter and length of the port, then do the calculations to get close to the actual Fp.  WinISD is a freeware tool that you can use for that sort of thing.

Chris