Using Equalizer on KI 396

jwc

3 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I would if I had one around. You could measure the diameter and length of the port, then do the calculations to get close to the actual Fp.  WinISD is a freeware tool that you can use for that sort of thing.

Chris

Yes.  Exactly.  I'm betting it is ported lower than 60 in an undersized cabinet.  I have a small Yamaha speaker with a 10" woofer and a power amp on the back.  It has three setting with one of them being to add low end.  It really sounds amazing.  I'm betting this is an example of tuned low in an undersized cabinet....to achieve portability.   Watts are cheap.   The amp is Eq'd differently when used as a satellite.

1 hour ago, jwc said:

If the cabinet is tuned to 60Hz,, then that would be trouble to add EQ.

Anyone brave enough to take off grill and get port measurements?

It's just some screws as I recall. Mine are currently boxed up and put away as I remodel the garage.

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It's just some screws as I recall. Mine are currently boxed up and put away as I remodel the garage.

I'd really like to see some pics of the garage when your done.  I bet that setup will be damn impressive to say the least once all is said and done. I still think eq on the bottom end is a bad idea.   Limited xmax, increasing distortion I agree with.   Chewing up amp headroom and heating the amp up a lot faster.  If you dotn have a pro amp on them with metering(which I dotn currently), would also be worried about smoking the tweeters after clipping the amp without knowing so. At highs volumes, your ears won't necessarily hear this before it's too late.... 

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I'd really like to see some pics of the garage when your done. 

Keep checking the CC&C thread.  I'm posting pictures as I go.  Next Friday is the floors.  The spray insulation and the floors are the only think I'm paying someone else to do.

All in a 3.5 cuft box.  15" Eminence Kappa.

So the white curve and yellow curve are a 3.5 cuft box with a 8" length port 4" diameter.  The white has a PEQ 40Hzx 6dB Q2.  Box is tuned to 29.82Hz in both applications.  The yellow line represents a low tuning with a small box....as I was describing....soft knee rolloff.  I AM NOT suggesting the 396 is tuned to this....this is an example.

The blue and red....are the same sized box with 4" diameter port and no EQ.  The Red is what yall are somewhat assuming.  Short Port with a tuning of 51,34Hz.    The port length here is 0.75 (depth of the baffle).  Blue port length is 3" tuned 40Hz.

So adding the PEQ to the red example (short port tuned to 51Hz) is a bad idea.

However, adding PEQ to the yellow line to get the white line is different.  It is ported low frequency in an undersized cabinet.  So you are NOT EQing below the tuning point.  You need to add watts.  

jc

image.thumb.png.2041da91f5354af1a34b7b9700939bb6.png

14 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I've found that mine sound best with the garage door open where they can breathe and the doors reflective surface removed.  These things need room to operate as they were designed for large venues. 

*I can see where people are having issues with them enclosed in rooms.

Totally agree !

...It was a struggle getting those tuned within 2db of Flat, in my 18 x 15 Jubilee room (11 ft ceiling). 

I'm loving them, now !

Well.  If somebody has the nerve to take off the grill and get the port dims.....I would appreciate it.   There seems to be a firm rec here for using them with a sub.  I'm optimistic there is another way.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:13 AM, Chris A said:

I would if I had one around. You could measure the diameter and length of the port, then do the calculations to get close to the actual Fp.  WinISD is a freeware tool that you can use for that sort of thing.

Chris

You can also use HornResp. JC, your curve looks good to me. Put it in a corner or Just get a sub!!!

It seems to support the Bode plot:

1880728398_KI-396Zplot.thumb.JPG.86d01a85deb0181205361a749ed917c7.JPG

But adding 8th space (corner) over half space (floor) loading usually does produce about one octave more low end FR with well-designed Klipsch models. 

Chris